The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Hasn't seem to slow down Sam Bennett? If you're going to throw out the argument that Bennett got a summer of training, he is playing in his 1st games at the most critical point of the season and excelling. Just food for thought.

We've made up so many excuses for our prospects in the past, just take it how it is.

1PPG to 1.09 PPG is not a very big increase, especially for a 6th overall pick who's GPG has dropped off significantly. I'm not complaining that he's getting more assist, it's just, he should be generating more offence overall not just in the assist column. He's a an amongst boys in that league and should be scoring in almost every situation: shot, driving the net, outmuscling opponents, etc.

I haven't watched him play, however, and from every scouting report of people who have watched him have said great things. This is encouraging definitely as he's shown signs of offensive creativity setting up teammates and being more defensively sound. All that said, expectations for a 6th overall pick should be that he can do all those things aforementioned a produced as well at an elite offensive clip.

Put Jake into the Q and he would produce the 'elite offense' you desire. Doesn't mean he'd be any better in the NHL though.

Statwatchers are funny.

• Upvote 2

oh yea cause the goal of drafting a power forward at 6th overall is just so he hits and forechecks on the 3rd line and pots the odd goal here and there. Horvat, who was considered to barely have enough skill for the 2nd line, had a better season points wise last year than virtanen this year.

He has not showed anything more than was advertised at the draft. All the skills (hitting, speed, shot) but not the hockey iq. Very evident watching him play.

Inconsistent as a power forward. Reminds me of this guy in the NHL, Zack something.

People seem to forget that goals win you games. gaudreau does hit. He doesnt take penalties after the whistle. Yet the flames are winning. right now it looks as if we made the wrong choice. What good is 5 hits a game if you lose 3-0. Every player chosen around jake has been more impressive.

Sbisa is physical-currently cdc whipping boy

Raymond was really fast- forever cdc whipping boy

Booth had both and was terrible.

Im worried.

Edited by Gooseberries

Wow guys. You figured it out. only 1.1 ppg means he's bad. Can't score on a strong team. He's not playing on the 1st line which means he's bad. Should have had Nylander. Only 18 years old looks like a bust already. :picard:

Am I CDC'ing right?

People seem to forget that goals win you games. gaudreau does hit. He doesnt take penalties after the whistle. Yet the flames are winning. right now it looks as if we made the wrong choice. What good is 5 hits a game if you lose 3-0. Every player chosen around jake has been more impressive.

Im worried.

lul

People here worried about Horvat as well. What we can learn here: Don't worry, bruh.

Watching the WJC and Hitmen games it is clearly evident that Virt plays a very north south style of game. Lays on some nice hits and looks good caring the puck in the zone with his rap around move and great shot. Other than that though... offensively the play dies when passed to jake. He isn't able to play the puck effectively along the boards and cycle with his teammates and often coughs it up. He's a perimeter offensive player. Not going to control the play and needs a playmaking center. He reminds me ALOT of Ryan Kesler/James Neal except I prefer those skill sets on the wing than at centre.

Being held off 40% of his games is a good indication of this. If he's not playing with good players who can get him the puck his play drops off. He has a package and point production that I'd expect to be picked between 15-25. For 6th overall you'd think his coach would want to play him on the 1st line and 1pp (more concerning than his actual ppg).

** He's just 18 and I'm not a professional scout lol so we'll see how he develops. I hope he proves me wrong like horvat did after his WJC underwhelming offensive performance.

Edited by Z. Kassian

Watching the WJC and Hitmen games it is clearly evident that Virt plays a very north south style of game. Lays on some nice hits and looks good caring the puck in the zone with his rap around move and great shot. Other than that though... offensively the play dies when passed to jake. He isn't able to play the puck effectively along the boards and cycle with his teammates and often coughs it up. He's a perimeter offensive player. Not going to control the play and needs a playmaking center. He reminds me ALOT of Ryan Kesler/James Neal except I prefer those skill sets on the wing than at centre.

Being held off 40% of his games is a good indication of this. If he's not playing with good players who can get him the puck his play drops off. He has a package and point production that I'd expect to be picked between 15-25. For 6th overall you'd think his coach would want to play him on the 1st line and 1pp (more concerning than his actual ppg).

** He's just 18 and I'm not a professional scout lol so we'll see how he develops. I hope he proves me wrong like horvat did after his WJC underwhelming offensive performance.

If Horvat proved you wrong, then why not give Virtanen the benefit of the doubt? Does it make you feel better being negative or something?

(And don't give me the "I'm a realist" remark because there's no such thing)

EDIT: By the way, any player tends to play better with good players beside him.

Edited by The Lock

Excellent assessment. lul

hmm? Great nhl players can usually drive the offense themselves at the jr level. Ex. harkins in pg cougars playin with nobody.

If Horvat proved you wrong, then why not give Virtanen the benefit of the doubt? Does it make you feel better being negative or something?

(And don't give me the "I'm a realist" remark because there's no such thing)

EDIT: By the way, any player tends to play better with good players beside him.

Cause his WJC performance was the abnormality from his great jr year. Horvat showed a lot more improvement in his +1 draft year in jr.

I'm not being negative I'm just stating my opinions. I think CDC is just overly bias/optimistic to our draft picks. Some people still believe in Jensen haha

hmm? Great nhl players can usually drive the offense themselves at the jr level. Ex. harkins in pg cougars playin with nobody.

lul Harkins and Virtanen have the same amount of goals but Virtanen has played 21 fewer games.

I think you're just looking for things to whine about. I suggest you just relax and let the future unfold before you.

• Upvote 2

Cause his WJC performance was the abnormality from his great jr year. Horvat showed a lot more improvement in his +1 draft year in jr.

I'm not being negative I'm just stating my opinions. I think CDC is just overly bias/optimistic to our draft picks. Some people still believe in Jensen haha

I can't believe you just suggested Harkins is a greater offensive player than Virtnanen

I think that's his point. For a guy who's all about offense, his numbers are a bit underwhelming, and two-way guys like Horvat and Harkins outproduce(ed) him

Yeah his numbers aren't overwhelming but look at their roster, he's stuck behind a bunch of overagers and older guys. Overage players dominate in junior hockey, even a guy like Prab Rai had a great overage year after despite a pretty pedestrian career to that point. It's just a fact of junior hockey and I'm really not that concerned about the numbers. His assist totals have improved which I like and by all accounts of those who have actually watched him he's improved in many facets of the game he was previously considered to be deficient in. I'm really not worried yet.

He's still a very promising prospect (reflected by his #15 ranking by hockey news) and his combination physical skills and offensive tool set aren't seen in many kids his age.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

Im worried.

Are you farking kidding me...? Calm the hell down lol