The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Anyone remember Chester & Spike, the two dogs from Looney Tunes? Spike is a big, burly gray bulldog who wears a red sweater, a brown bowler hat, and a perpetual scowl. His little buddy Chester is the exact opposite, a small and jumpy terrier who tags along because it makes him feel tough.

With Lucic, Dorsett, Prust (maybe) and Jake,

overnight this team goes from being Chester to

being Spike.

http://youtu.be/UVNHcob3oJg

Do you also remember that Spike was the stupid dog and Chester was the smart dog.

Jake is Benning's boy. He will be parading the kid and celebrating every positive step he makes all season long. Virt will play in the NHL this season. Not sure if he'll stay the whole 82 games, but even the nine game window seems too small for a player like this. He's not our saviour, he won't lead the team in points, and he'll probably make A LOT of mistakes... But a player with this mix of edge and skill alters the face of our entire team the moment he steps on the ice. Bo last season brought an almost Sedin/Linden-like calmness, intelligence, and precision - Jake will bring rugged, fast-paced intensity and snarl. Kid can shoot too, can't wait to see him line be up some one timers in the bigs.

• Upvote 1

If you as a GM was offered Martin Hanzal for Jake Virtanen you take it easily. Garunteed NHL player putting up great numbers > Prospect that can be a bust.

No, you don't. If you're offered Alex Galchenyuk for Virtanen you consider it. Thank god you're not GM. Also, putting up no higher than 40 points a year are not 'great numbers.' He's also extremely injury prone. Nice troll attempt though. Edited by Pears

If you as a GM was offered Martin Hanzal for Jake Virtanen you take it easily. Garunteed NHL player putting up great numbers > Prospect that can be a bust.

Guaranteed...

It's close, but I'll say no. Hanzal is a great 3rd line center who's hit 40 points once. Virtanen has the potential to be a top line star.

• Upvote 1

So Toronto will trade us Mitch Marner for Chris Higgins?

Buffalo will trade us Sam Reinhart for Luca Sbisa?

Detroit will trade us Dylan Larkin for Alex Burrows?

Guys, this rebuild is going to be sooooo easy!!

• Upvote 4

When will you get over the fact that other really talented kids were still available when we picked Jake? It happens with EVERY pick in EVERY draft. When will you acknowledge that this is the most purely talented player we've had in our system in a decade, and that he might actually be a fan favourite in the not so distant future?

• Upvote 1

Wow. So you trade any one of your top prospects for any player who has produced in the NHL just to avoid the chance of developing a bust?

I've seen ridiculous on here, but this tops it.

A all of those players are better than virtanen and B Hanzal is better than all of those players.

All of those prospects could be busts though.

Any team would be stupid to not take a guaranteed NHL player who has put up great numbers like Burrows.

• Upvote 1

A all of those players are better than virtanen and B Hanzal is better than all of those players.

A. Yes but they can all bust which was your only stated criteria.

B. Disagree. Burrows is better, Higgins about the same, Sbisa worse. But all 3 are guaranteed NHLers and none of them out up "great points" (hint: just like Hanzal).

If you want to make an argument for trading Virtanen for Hanzal I'd suggest making a better argument than "guaranteed NHLer > Prospect that can bust" next time.

And for the record I wouldn't consider trading Virtanen for Hanzal in a million years. Hanzal does absolutely nothing for this team today except potentially block Horvat for a couple of years. And by the time this team is contending again Hanzal will be in his early/mid 30's and even worse than he is today.

If we did want Hanzal for some strange reason we could easily get him for Brendan Gaunce and a 3rd round pick. Wouldn't even consider guys like Virts, Boeser, McCann, Shink, Corrado, Demko.

• Upvote 1

And this folks, is how you ruin any credibility.

If any were there to start off with, of course.

Edited by jstewboy

Wow. So you trade any one of your top prospects for any player who has produced in the NHL just to avoid the chance of developing a bust?

I've seen ridiculous on here, but this tops it.

I actually had to tone down my response that I originally had written up because I was so blown away lol.

A week away from CDC and I am firey... Good reason to be tho now that I am catching up on the shrapnel people have been spewing out here.