The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm sorry I don't see what you guys see in Virtanen. Honestly, I watched him last night, in overtime him taking the puck trying to beat two russian defenders only to high stick one in the face. You guys need to start being a bit more realistic, it's much better if he develops properly in juniors before giving him a shot in the NHL.

Desi should have official troll designation at this point

The more I see of Virtanen, the more I am thinking his upside might be Dustin Brown. A tough, phsyical winger who can score big goals at important times. I really don't see him as a superstar. Now Boeser, on the other hand, has that which can't be taught: an unerring knack for putting the puck where the goalie isn't.

The more I see of Virtanen, the more I am thinking his upside might be Dustin Brown. A tough, phsyical winger who can score big goals at important times. I really don't see him as a superstar. Now Boeser, on the other hand, has that which can't be taught: an unerring knack for putting the puck where the goalie isn't.

Hes already a far far superior skater than Brown and probably has an equal shot at this point.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen scored 40+ goals his draft year. His physical abilities are top notch. It's his mental toughness and maturity which needs work. I do think Boeser's shot is better though.

And that haircut is awful.

At this stage my expectation for Jake is a Dustin Brown like career.

I still think his upside is higher. He also has that wicked shot.

But I'd be happy with a 220 lb Brad Marchand. Blistering speed and busting shoulder pads.

• Upvote 1

At this stage my expectation for Jake is a Dustin Brown like career.

I still think his upside is higher. He also has that wicked shot.

But I'd be happy with a 220 lb Brad Marchand. Blistering speed and busting shoulder pads.

If Jake can turn into a Marchand I would be so happy (probably with less of the Marchand antics).
  • Upvote 1

If Jake has gone from 228 Lbs. down to 212 Lbs. since the Comets playoffs like reported, that would mean 16 Lbs. in less then 3 months.

That's maybe a bit too fast, he must be worn out some as well.

I hope he doesn't burn out before training camp...18 year old or not.

On the bright side if it didn't affect him in the tourney that just ended...(and I think it did affect him...)

then he has already hit his target weight and still has a month to adjust to his new weght and add strength from there.

I'm not so sure his target weight should be that low though, with his lower body I think 220 may suit him just fine.

If Jake has gone from 228 Lbs. down to 212 Lbs. since the Comets playoffs like reported, that would mean 16 Lbs. in less then 3 months.

That's maybe a bit too fast, he must be worn out some as well.

I hope he doesn't burn out before training camp...18 year old or not.

On the bright side if it didn't affect him in the tourney that just ended...(and I think it did affect him...)

then he has already hit his target weight and still has a month to adjust to his new weght and add strength from there.

I'm not so sure his target weight should be that low though, with his lower body I think 220 may suit him just fine.

High performance athletes can easily lose weight and fat by a simple dietary change. They have to eat a lot more than we do, he probably just cut out the garbage food.

how close in virtanen to being nhl ready? hoping him/hunter/one younger guy makes the roster. I think jake has the best chance just don't know much about him

It would appear there's similar feeling this training camp about Virtanen making it this year as the 50/50 feeling of Horvat making the team during last year's training camp.

All the tools and talent is there it's just a matter of if he's able to transition it to the NHL level without being a liability. Canucks kept Horvat once they realized he wouldn't be a liability and then as he played better he earned more ice time and opportunities. I imagine it will be the same strategy with bringing up other young guys like Virtanen.

It would appear there's similar feeling this training camp about Virtanen making it this year as the 50/50 feeling of Horvat making the team during last year's training camp.

All the tools and talent is there it's just a matter of if he's able to transition it to the NHL level without being a liability. Canucks kept Horvat once they realized he wouldn't be a liability and then as he played better he earned more ice time and opportunities. I imagine it will be the same strategy with bringing up other young guys like Virtanen.

Well, I had Horvat as a lock to make the team by this time last year.

I have Virtanen at 50/50 only because of the general feeling that Benning wants him on the team.

I have Jake at 80% for getting some or all of his 9 game try out in this season. Score 6 goals, get 6 hits and he's in.

Just as a hypothetical....i think it would be cool if Virtannen applied his skillset to D instead of forward. His speed, shot, hitting would all suit the position. His passing is good when he sees a lot of the ice and his skating is great when he has a bit of room to wind it up.

I have Jake at 80% for getting some or all of his 9 game try out in this season. Score 6 goals, get 6 hits and he's in.

If you're expecting 6 goals in his first 9 games, you're going to be disappointed imo.

If be thrilled if he can get 3 points in those 9 games. Even that's pretty optimistic.

• Upvote 1