The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

virtanen may need some sheltering by a vet or two. He may not. I just don't like absolute statements like "Willie doesn't like putting two rookies togather". How the how does anyone know what Willie likes? What side of the bed does he sleep on. How does he like his toast?

Willie likes his toast real good. I know that much for sure

SO is this now the Official "How does Willie like his Toast thread" I could have swear it says Jake Virtanen at the top..... Maybe I need glasses

I think someone needs a slice of toast rather than glasses.. You're not yourself when you're hungry!

why does he need a backup. I dont think he even makes the team past his 9 games.

And ya said the same thing last year about Horvat. I actually think the odds percentage wise are less this year for Virtanen, than they were last year for Horvat. All Bo had to do last year was beat out Sestito and it was pretty clear that was the right move.

I think the Clendening throw in on the Sutter deal was just to get a player off the roster and go into training camp with 22 contracts.

Virtanen is going to get every opportunity to get that spot and given his skill set I'm betting he does it. I just see so many parallels between Bo and Jake. They were both men at 19 years old. They have NHL speed, they're able to catch up to people and make plays defensively. I watched most of the AHL games with Jake in the lineup and he looked good defensively, as well as being able to use a nice stretch pass. Jake is also going to get the push from management like Bo did last year.

JB inherited a good group of prospects with Gaunce, Hunter, Subban, Horvat, Cassels, Grenier, etc., and if I'm him I stand pat now. I all but give the 23rd spot to Jake, because it speeds up the rebuild. So next year in the same way that happened last year, and this year so far, we can add 2 or 3 more players from the farm and build from within. I really don't see how people are baffled by this strategy.

If there is any team that I would want a rookie to come up with, it would be this one. Top down this team has so much character it's silly. We have a great 1st line and 3 3rd lines and I think we're going to be pretty boring to watch. This is a group of grinders that is not flashy, but is going to get the job done.

Another reason that he should make the team is training. A manchild with his physical attributes, should be training and practicing at the highest level. I don't think you can downplay the NHL lifestyle. Compared to any junior league team, the NHL treatment can change a player completely. For example Bo Horvat gained 15 pounds and got faster as the season progressed. A bigger, faster Jake training with the best in the game is what I'd rather see.

• Upvote 1

Not to mention the fact he will be closer to home and his natural support network. If he goes to Calgary he'll be with junior players in junior mindsets and a host family.

I want Greiner to take that spot, but if goes to Jake it means he is more ready for the NHL I suppose. I believe it's Grenier spot to lose though. He has the experience and confidence to try and take that spot. ​

And ya said the same thing last year about Horvat. I actually think the odds percentage wise are less this year for Virtanen, than they were last year for Horvat. All Bo had to do last year was beat out Sestito and it was pretty clear that was the right move.

I think the Clendening throw in on the Sutter deal was just to get a player off the roster and go into training camp with 22 contracts.

Virtanen is going to get every opportunity to get that spot and given his skill set I'm betting he does it. I just see so many parallels between Bo and Jake. They were both men at 19 years old. They have NHL speed, they're able to catch up to people and make plays defensively. I watched most of the AHL games with Jake in the lineup and he looked good defensively, as well as being able to use a nice stretch pass. Jake is also going to get the push from management like Bo did last year.

JB inherited a good group of prospects with Gaunce, Hunter, Subban, Horvat, Cassels, Grenier, etc., and if I'm him I stand pat now. I all but give the 23rd spot to Jake, because it speeds up the rebuild. So next year in the same way that happened last year, and this year so far, we can add 2 or 3 more players from the farm and build from within. I really don't see how people are baffled by this strategy.

If there is any team that I would want a rookie to come up with, it would be this one. Top down this team has so much character it's silly. We have a great 1st line and 3 3rd lines and I think we're going to be pretty boring to watch. This is a group of grinders that is not flashy, but is going to get the job done.

Another reason that he should make the team is training. A manchild with his physical attributes, should be training and practicing at the highest level. I don't think you can downplay the NHL lifestyle. Compared to any junior league team, the NHL treatment can change a player completely. For example Bo Horvat gained 15 pounds and got faster as the season progressed. A bigger, faster Jake training with the best in the game is what I'd rather see.

My only concern with Jake making the jump this year is with his playing style I feel like it would be paramount for him to spend on emore year in JR.

Play some NHL games with us, go back to WHL and really lead the team. Embrace the leadership role. Be his teams offensive catalyst, a strong voice on the bench, play critical minutes, play lots of minutes. Learn to consistently take over games and physcially dominate.

Then compete in the world juniors in an impact role, play lots of minutes and be a leader with the squad there.

Then take his team to the playoffs.

I really think if he makes the nhl this year it could neg affect his top end potential and put him in a grinding role where he could get stuck in. Because he has the speed, grit, size to play a grinder game. If he didnt have that shoulder surgery and Calgary utilized him more affectivley the past season I may feel differently, but right now based on the past two years and how he played in Utica I really feel one more year in JR would be great for him.

Just my opinion.

The only way I want him to make the team is if:

He blows everyone away at camp, has an awesome preseason and 9 game audtion, really earns the spot and the coaching staff believe the hitmen will not utilize him properly/as best as possible for his development.

Could you imagine Virtanen and Lucic on the same line?

Anyone remember Chester & Spike, the two dogs from Looney Tunes? Spike is a big, burly gray bulldog who wears a red sweater, a brown bowler hat, and a perpetual scowl. His little buddy Chester is the exact opposite, a small and jumpy terrier who tags along because it makes him feel tough.

With Lucic, Dorsett, Prust (maybe) and Jake,

overnight this team goes from being Chester to

being Spike.

http://youtu.be/UVNHcob3oJg

Anyone remember Chester & Spike, the two dogs from Looney Tunes? Spike is a big, burly gray bulldog who wears a red sweater, a brown bowler hat, and a perpetual scowl. His little buddy Chester is the exact opposite, a small and jumpy terrier who tags along because it makes him feel tough.

With Lucic, Dorsett, Prust (maybe) and Jake,

overnight this team goes from being Chester to

being Spike.

http://youtu.be/UVNHcob3oJg

When we traded Coho for for Kass it's like we went from being Ren to Stimpy. At first you're all like wtf, did we just get slower and dumber? Then you realize Ren wasn't as smart as he seemed and they're both just a couple of melvins.