The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Willie won't put two young guys out together, he likes to split them up with veterans surrounding them incase of mistakes. IF Virtanen makes the team look for something like,

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Prust - Virtanen

Vey

willie doesnt like putting young guys together?

Horvat/kenins?

Willie won't put two young guys out together, he likes to split them up with veterans surrounding them incase of mistakes. IF Virtanen makes the team look for something like,

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Prust - Virtanen

Vey

I really like that line up.

That triple H line would be amazing, although I d like to see Horvat with Vrbata and Bearcheese by mid season.

I don't really remember anybody saying Horvat should go back to London

I certainly do. I was one of them. It was a pretty 50/50 split. Honestly, Horvat's performance this year is 1 main reason that I not really against Virtanen getting a call up. Like Horvat he's definitely physically mature enough, provides 3 elite skills, (skating physicality, and shooting) Benning also thinks he's mentally mature enough too. Well if Benning feels the same way about Virtanen as he did Horvat, or similar too it, I think Virtanen would do fine in the big line up and can actually produce

• Upvote 1

I certainly do. I was one of them. It was a pretty 50/50 split. Honestly, Horvat's performance this year is 1 main reason that I not really against Virtanen getting a call up. Like Horvat he's definitely physically mature enough, provides 3 elite skills, (skating physicality, and shooting) Benning also thinks he's mentally mature enough too. Well if Benning feels the same way about Virtanen as he did Horvat, or similar too it, I think Virtanen would do fine in the big line up and can actually produce

He has size too. Benning stated that Jake has an NHL body already, much like Horvat last year.

willie doesnt like putting young guys together?

Horvat/kenins?

You make a good point, but I would consider that situation a bit special. Not often do you see instant chemistry, especially with two rookies. Kenins was also conditioned in a pro league for some time while in Switzerland and had an Olympic experience. He played against the best players in the world and faired quite well in a checking role, proving he was capable of taking care of himself against bigger and stronger players.

I found it almost hard to consider Kenins a "rookie" but by NHL terms, he was. Maybe willie's coaching decisions change a little being that it will be his second year in the big league but he has shown that he wants rookies to really prove themselves to him.

You make a good point, but I would consider that situation a bit special. Not often do you see instant chemistry, especially with two rookies. Kenins was also conditioned in a pro league for some time while in Switzerland and had an Olympic experience. He played against the best players in the world and faired quite well in a checking role, proving he was capable of taking care of himself against bigger and stronger players.

I found it almost hard to consider Kenins a "rookie" but by NHL terms, he was. Maybe willie's coaching decisions change a little being that it will be his second year in the big league but he has shown that he wants rookies to really prove themselves to him.

virtanen may need some sheltering by a vet or two. He may not. I just don't like absolute statements like "Willie doesn't like putting two rookies togather". How the how does anyone know what Willie likes? What side of the bed does he sleep on. How does he like his toast?

virtanen may need some sheltering by a vet or two. He may not. I just don't like absolute statements like "Willie doesn't like putting two rookies togather". How the how does anyone know what Willie likes? What side of the bed does he sleep on. How does he like his toast?

Fair enough, I should rephrase to "I don't believe willie likes to put young guys together". I just used the evidence I saw of him being very cautious of rookies in game time situations and his lineup decisions. You're right tho, I shouldn't use a statement like I did considering I have no idea what he does or does not like. As for the two other questions, he strikes me as a right side kind of guy, and a traditional PB&J lover.

Fair enough, I should rephrase to "I don't believe willie likes to put young guys together". I just used the evidence I saw of him being very cautious of rookies in game time situations and his lineup decisions. You're right tho, I shouldn't use a statement like I did considering I have no idea what he does or does not like. As for the two other questions, he strikes me as a right side kind of guy, and a traditional PB&J lover.

no worries. I understand and I'm sorry for being rude. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess.

Willie likes his toast sprinkled with cinnamon, so that it gets caught in his moustache.

I think he looks like a dry toast kinda guy or on a day when he feels adventurous perhaps marmalade.

Willie likes his toast sprinkled with cinnamon, so that it gets caught in his moustache.

Never tried that before.. Perhaps I should grow my moustache out first to truly enjoy the full experience as described.. sounds christmas eve magical.

Willie likes his toast multi grain dry with crusts cut off in triangles.

Willie sleeps under the bed so he is in a supporting role and can always see what's going on so as to be in a position to offer some coaching tips, encouragement and pointers.

Edited by Borvat