The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Ovie is not even a top 5 goal scorer ever

I said arguably the greatest. I guess it all depends on how you define "greatest". I would put him in the top 5 for sure.

Here is a chart of era adjusted goals for players in their 20s (age 20-29):

CPG_OuvWgAIhODW.png

Here is a list of era adjust goal season:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/goals_adjusted_season.html

Edited by baumerman77

I said arguably the greatest. I guess it all depends on how you define "greatest". I would put him in the top 5 for sure.

CPG_OuvWgAIhODW.png

lot of respect for the guys who turned it up to wards the end of their careers

CPG_OuvWgAIhODW.png

Those numbers are essentially meaningless.

Who here likes Virtanen wearing #77? I really like him with that number. Hope he gives it a try in pre season :) lol. It made him look so graceful out there. Curious what number he will wear when it becomes time for pre season. Will he go for his 18 or will he go for something different. im curious.

• Upvote 1

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows

Higgins, Sutter, Vrbata/Hansen

Baertschi, Horvat, Hansen/Vrbata

Prust, Vey, Dorsett

Those are the locks. We have room for two more forwards. We all want Virtanen to be one of them. Time will tell if he is physically ready. I think the 14th forward will probably be a center.

Benning said that he brought Sutter in to be a matchup center. It makes most sense to play him with other good matchup guys. This should take pressure off of Horvat and even the Sedins. My main point was that these players are pretty much locks which leaves two spots for forwards. Virtanen will get a look, but is not a lock.

OUch! If Higgins is the best we can do for the second line, our prospects suck. I like Chris but he is a third liner at best who can fill in for short periods on the 2nd line.

I already addressed that.

I think putting Vrbata with Sutter would be a waste of Vrbata's talent as Sutter's line will be used as a matchup line against the opponent's top line. I hope to see

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Horvat will be given every opportunity to hit 40-50 points this season. And I think he will if he is playing with Baertschi and Vrbata.

I guess you missed the Vrbata/Hansen. If you had noticed that then you would see that the lines are pretty much what I wrote. I think people are getting hung up on line numbers. The Sutter line will be used to match up against top lines; therefore the Sutter line will be expected to play big minutes. I also think that Vrbatas defensive play is under-rated.

Who here likes Virtanen wearing #77? I really like him with that number. Hope he gives it a try in pre season :) lol. It made him look so graceful out there. Curious what number he will wear when it becomes time for pre season. Will he go for his 18 or will he go for something different. im curious.

When I was watching I was like, "77 is actually a dope number."

Ah, so fake numbers. Gotcha

When contextual factors change over time raw data needs to be refined and controlled to account for these circumstantial changes. This is norm in statistics.

I suppose one could call all statistics "fake" nevertheless it doesn't deminish the nature of their insights.

Regarding NHL goals. I believe adjusting for changes in era is crucial for comparing goal scorers over the history of the NHL. And by looking only at the raw data one is biasing goal scorers in specific eras such as the 1980s and early 90s.

Edited by baumerman77
  • Upvote 3

When contextual factors change over time raw data needs to be refined and controlled to account for these circumstantial changes. This is norm in statistics.

I suppose one could call all statistics "fake" nevertheless it doesn't deminish the nature of their insights.

Regarding NHL goals. I believe adjusting for changes in era is crucial for comparing goal scorers over the history of the NHL. And by looking only at the raw data one is biasing goal scorers in specific eras such as the 1980s and early 90s.

I agree to a point, they are fun numbers to look at but you can't read to much into it, honestly though I agree ovechkin is top 5. Might end up the best ever though

Why would they do that?

Play him or send him back to junior to play.

Playing 10 games in 2 1/2 months is not how to develop a player but it sure can help ruin one.

That's exactly what they did with Horvat. And it was more than 10 games. He played 5 games in Utica as well.

Practising and travelling with the team, watching them play from the press box and getting a few games in is good education. More valuable than straight playing more games in Jr.