The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I just deleted the TSN app off my phone.

In the " 10 prospects to watch" article they did not have Jake mentioned. Too add insult to injury both Crylaner and Smehlers were highlighted.

Bunch of eastern hacks.

Bit dramatic? Who cares about a 'list' they mean nothing lol Grow up mate

Awesome call!

And Nurse is no violet. He absolutely rag dolled Rasmus Anderson in the Calgary / Edmonton young stars game. Complete domination. Anderson isn't a fighter, saw an interview quoting it as his first hockey fight, but he's a big dude.

Not sure how good a fighter is Jake? But I hear he's plenty willing to mix it up...

I'm gonna bet Jake and Nurse scrap at least 3, maybe 4 times in their careers haha

I'm gonna bet Jake and Nurse scrap at least 3, maybe 4 times in their careers haha

I'm afraid to say, as much as I like Jake, I'd have to give the advantage to Nurse. He's got a really long reach. I would hope Jake would be wise enough to not lock on, and throw'em with that guy.

I'm pretty happy with having Virtanen, but that doesn't mean other prospects suck. Ehlers has a high potential which is why he was taken so early on in the draft as well.

Would be nice to see Virtanen be more creative with the puck and take smarter shots. Otherwise I'm glad we picked a hometown pick with some really nice intangibles.

You watched Ehlers once in a young star tourney. You calling Ehlers a bust is not an "educated observation" it's ignorant.

I accept that you feel my observation is based upon ignorance. Time will show that Jake is a beauty, and Ehlers is too soft for our league.

I accept that you feel my observation is based upon ignorance. Time will show that Jake is a beauty, and Ehlers is too soft for our league.

Tons of soft players in the league, doesn't mean they cant adjust their game to keep themselves safe and at the same time provide offence and be in the correct position defensively.

Ehlers has enough upside for any fan to be excited. Iv watched lots of footage and he's got what it takes, just a matter of time.

Tons of soft players in the league, doesn't mean they cant adjust their game to keep themselves safe and at the same time provide offence and be in the correct position defensively.

Ehlers has enough upside for any fan to be excited. Iv watched lots of footage and he's got what it takes, just a matter of time.

We clearly have opposite views on this player. I think the boards would be boring if we agreed on every player. Now we can sit back and watch the kids develop. I don't wish bad upon Ehlers. If he proves me wrong, and becomes a consistent NHL top six scorer, I'll be one of the fans enjoying his talents. I'll also enjoy, when Jake runs him over too:)

I'm glad we have Jake. It's obvious to anyone following Ehlers that he's a bust. As for Nylander, the Leafs are trying him on the wing, because he isn't able to play defensively. Hahaha. Jake is a rock solid top liner, and those other two are huge question marks. We win having Jake over those two every time, no matter what the Toronto Sports Network tries to preach.

There's always the PP...

Well I am on the same page as you with regards to Jake, though I do think he may take a couple of seasons before his offensive game is ready for a top 6 role. That's not a critique, but I just think that Jake will take a bit longer to find his offensive game (not his physical game) at the NHL level. It's taken Chris Kreider til this past year (23/24 yo season) to figure out his game consistently and he's a player who I see a lot of similarities with Jake. I don't expect Jake will crack 20 goals until his 3rd or 4th season, though he will be a very exciting bottom 6 player in the meantime.

As for Ehlers, I think he'll carve out a nice little NHL career as well and doubt he'll be in Europe anytime soon. But I don't see the superstar that some others see either. Modern-day Hemsky at best, which is probably 45-55 points and lots of time on IR.

Good, level headed assessment ;)

You watched Ehlers once in a young star tourney. You calling Ehlers a bust is not an "educated observation" it's ignorant.

I think we have all realized not to waste our time with Alflives,

he is very dead set that we have the best prospects in the world

although I do love our prospects , I don't think ehlers is a bust

or don't think horvat is better than mackinnon , at least at this point

(sorry for bringing that up again)