The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think putting Vrbata with Sutter would be a waste of Vrbata's talent as Sutter's line will be used as a matchup line against the opponent's top line. I hope to see

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Horvat will be given every opportunity to hit 40-50 points this season. And I think he will if he is playing with Baertschi and Vrbata.

Willie won't do that out the gate. I totally agree that's how it will end up/how it should be, but mgmt want to see what we have in Sutter first.

Your assessment of Bo hitting 50 points with those guys seems pretty plausible in my estimation, especially considering I see Bo potentially being the best player on our team (outside the twins) by season's end.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

I think putting Vrbata with Sutter would be a waste of Vrbata's talent as Sutter's line will be used as a matchup line against the opponent's top line. I hope to see

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Horvat will be given every opportunity to hit 40-50 points this season. And I think he will if he is playing with Baertschi and Vrbata.

Vey said Willie isn't really one for doing match ups. He rolls 4 lines and players need to be ready to play against any one at any time.

There was a media thing today, was pretty interesting. Although about half way in the questions get really repetitive. "What do you think about not having Willie behind the bench during pre season" pops up everytime a new group popped up.

I can understand the argument that 'we just want him to play' but in this case, for this player, I just don't feel the same way as I would if he was softer, slower and lacking in confidence.

I just don't see how you're going to "ruin" him if he doesn't play every game.

I just finished watching the media day interviews and it was Prust with JV as the final pair. Why do you think JV would be given that spot if he wasn't already being given a spot on the team?

There are victims of circumstance and there are fortunes of circumstance, and in this case Jake is fortunate that he is a 19 year old in a man's body and he plays the game well enough not be sent back to junior.

There are 27 games between Oct 3 and Dec 13 when Jake would leave for the WJC camp. You are suggesting he sit out 2/3 of those games ... I'm not sure why.

If you like him enough to play the 9 games at all then it benefits him much more to be playing as well as practicing on a regular basis. Development and confidence requires games, not only practices. You can stall both by limiting him to just 9 games over a 10 week span.

And if you think he's not ready for the NHL yet or isnt best served up here, then send him back to the Hitmen so he can continue to do the exact same thing in junior that he'd be doing up here - namely practicing and playing regularly.

Anything else just makes no sense for a 19 year old kid.

You know what we are gonna do with him... he is gonna get the Horvat treatment. He'll sit for a few games, then play a game, then sit a few more, then play another, etc... until 5 or 6 games in he gets an 'injury'. 2 weeks later he gets sent to Utica for conditioning. After a handful of games there he gets back to Vancouver with the same routine. By the time he's done his 10 games it would be mid-December. THEN they will decide whether he stays or go.

Why not?

There are 27 games between Oct 3 and Dec 13 when Jake would leave for the WJC camp. You are suggesting he sit out 2/3 of those games ... I'm not sure why.

If you like him enough to play the 9 games at all then it benefits him much more to be playing as well as practicing on a regular basis. Development and confidence requires games, not only practices. You can stall both by limiting him to just 9 games over a 10 week span.

And if you think he's not ready for the NHL yet or isnt best served up here, then send him back to the Hitmen so he can continue to do the exact same thing in junior that he'd be doing up here - namely practicing and playing regularly.

Anything else just makes no sense for a 19 year old kid.

I doubt management gives a rats arse about his 9 games other than seeing if they think he can contribute and improve at this level before they're up.

If he can, I'd wager he'd play a good +/- 15 of those 27 games until the WJC.

I doubt management gives a rats arse about his 9 games other than seeing if they think he can contribute and improve at this level before they're up.

If he can, I'd wager he'd play a good +/- 15 of those 27 games until the WJC.

Exactly. The 9 games merely matters with regards to his ELC, not his UFA years. Looking ahead a few years we are going to have a ton of salary retire or get moved so I don't think Jake's ELC is at the top of the pile when it comes to deciding how to best develop our current best prospect.

If he's good enough to stay then get him in the line up as often as possible regardless of the ELC (9 games) or UFA (39 games) factors.

If he isn't then for gods sake get the kid back to junior so he can play and work on the things that he would obviously need to work on considering he wasn't ready to make the team.

Play, play, play should be the overriding priority for all 18/19/20 year old kids. Sitting in press box and worrying about when their ELC kicks in is the last thing you should be doing.

I just deleted the TSN app off my phone.

In the " 10 prospects to watch" article they did not have Jake mentioned. Too add insult to injury both Crylaner and Smehlers were highlighted.

Bunch of eastern hacks.

I'm glad we have Jake. It's obvious to anyone following Ehlers that he's a bust. As for Nylander, the Leafs are trying him on the wing, because he isn't able to play defensively. Hahaha. Jake is a rock solid top liner, and those other two are huge question marks. We win having Jake over those two every time, no matter what the Toronto Sports Network tries to preach.

I'm glad we have Jake. It's obvious to anyone following Ehlers that he's a bust. As for Nylander, the Leafs are trying him on the wing, because he isn't able to play defensively. Hahaha. Jake is a rock solid top liner, and those other two are huge question marks. We win having Jake over those two every time, no matter what the Toronto Sports Network tries to preach.

Jake will make an impact quietly/subtly at first, just as Horvat did. I mean, nobody around the league really paid Bo much notice, then suddenly he's one of our best players down the stretch and into the playoffs, and he's in consideration for the Calder. These guys aren't huge offensive players, but they're real deal players that alter the face of the Canucks in a massive way.

Really? Just like that eh.

Have you not watched Ehlers play? Jake gets involved every shift, by going to the tough areas. He makes an impact on the game every time he's on the ice. Ehlers stays to the perimeter, and accomplishes nothing. He has no impact on the game. It's clear he will be playing in Europe, while Jake is making a difference for OUR Canucks. Jake is a beauty.

• Upvote 1

Have you not watched Ehlers play? Jake gets involved every shift, by going to the tough areas. He makes an impact on the game every time he's on the ice. Ehlers stays to the perimeter, and accomplishes nothing. He has no impact on the game. It's clear he will be playing in Europe, while Jake is making a difference for OUR Canucks. Jake is a beauty.

couple bold statements there. Don't jynx it please.

I would wait 5 years before writing off 18 or 19 year Olds.

Ya I tend to avoid making bold prognostications about most draft year or draft+1 year kids as there is still so much development that goes on between 19 and 22/23. Just like I think people who forecast Jake as "only" a 3rd line banger are being overly critical at this point, so too is the notion that Ehlers is anything resembling a bust. Lots of time for these kids to iron out their deficiencies, even once they do hit the NHL. Or does everyone forget what a 19 year old Ryan Kesler looked like versus where he was 3-4 years later?

Ya I tend to avoid making bold prognostications about most draft year or draft+1 year kids as there is still so much development that goes on between 19 and 22/23. Just like I think people who forecast Jake as "only" a 3rd line banger are being overly critical at this point, so too is the notion that Ehlers is anything resembling a bust. Lots of time for these kids to iron out their deficiencies, even once they do hit the NHL. Or does everyone forget what a 19 year old Ryan Kesler looked like versus where he was 3-4 years later?

Kesler was a hyper compete player. Ehlers is anything but that. Jake is a hyper compete player, like Kesler. I think we can predict a player's future at an early age based on their compete level. Jake, like Kesler, has it. Ehlers does not. This lack of hyper compete is why Jensen is not going to make it, and we knew that with the first we saw him play.

Lol give me a break. So biased.

Ehlers is small ya, it will take him time to adjust. His skill set won't be wasted, its a matter of time.

Lol give me a break. So biased.

Ehlers is small ya, it will take him time to adjust. His skill set won't be wasted, its a matter of time.

This is not bias; its educated observation. Virtanen is clearly an impact NHL player. Ehlers is not. Jake's skills transfer to our game. Ehlers do not. It makes no difference how long Winnipeg waits. We have Jake, and Winnipeg has cold winters and very large summer bugs. That is educated observation, which is undeniable.

• Upvote 1

Kesler was a hyper compete player. Ehlers is anything but that. Jake is a hyper compete player, like Kesler. I think we can predict a player's future at an early age based on their compete level. Jake, like Kesler, has it. Ehlers does not. This lack of hyper compete is why Jensen is not going to make it, and we knew that with the first we saw him play.

You're a super fan, which is fine. And I even like that you're so high on Jake, as I've been "defending" him on these boards and the other since the draft. But you're being too black and white in your opinions IMO. Jake has a lot of jam to his game but he can also be guilty of coasting too. Ehlers doesn't have Jake's size or strength (and never will) which is why I liked Jake better at the draft, but Ehlers also has much better hands (i.e. Puckhandling) and vision than Jake, so even if he "just" plays a perimeter game, he can still become a very useful NHLer (similar to Vrbata or Hemsky).

God, I can't believe you have me defending Ehlers. I don't think I've ever done that before.

You're a super fan, which is fine. And I even like that you're so high on Jake, as I've been "defending" him on these boards and the other since the draft. But you're being too black and white in your opinions IMO. Jake has a lot of jam to his game but he can also be guilty of coasting too. Ehlers doesn't have Jake's size or strength (and never will) which is why I liked Jake better at the draft, but Ehlers also has much better hands (i.e. Puckhandling) and vision than Jake, so even if he "just" plays a perimeter game, he can still become a very useful NHLer (similar to Vrbata or Hemsky).

God, I can't believe you have me defending Ehlers. I don't think I've ever done that before.

My apologies. I do believe we have the far better player in Jake. I also firmly believe that Ehlers will be in Europe in the not too distant future. At some point we need to accept that players, who bring nothing to affect a game, other than getting points, will be let go, when it clearly shows they are not capable of being consistent in that regard. I hate to say this, but I think we have a couple of guys with that issue too, and one of the is named Vey. A one dimensional, smaller, offensive minded player. Jake will play top six minutes, and have impact on the game every shift.

My apologies. I do believe we have the far better player in Jake. I also firmly believe that Ehlers will be in Europe in the not too distant future. At some point we need to accept that players, who bring nothing to affect a game, other than getting points, will be let go, when it clearly shows they are not capable of being consistent in that regard. I hate to say this, but I think we have a couple of guys with that issue too, and one of the is named Vey. A one dimensional, smaller, offensive minded player. Jake will play top six minutes, and have impact on the game every shift.

Well I am on the same page as you with regards to Jake, though I do think he may take a couple of seasons before his offensive game is ready for a top 6 role. That's not a critique, but I just think that Jake will take a bit longer to find his offensive game (not his physical game) at the NHL level. It's taken Chris Kreider til this past year (23/24 yo season) to figure out his game consistently and he's a player who I see a lot of similarities with Jake. I don't expect Jake will crack 20 goals until his 3rd or 4th season, though he will be a very exciting bottom 6 player in the meantime.

As for Ehlers, I think he'll carve out a nice little NHL career as well and doubt he'll be in Europe anytime soon. But I don't see the superstar that some others see either. Modern-day Hemsky at best, which is probably 45-55 points and lots of time on IR.

• Upvote 1