The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you think Nylander and Ehlers don't party?  I guarantee they do and I guarantee there's a large number of girls that also "don't like them" .  I've heard so many stories about Rat boy from friends in the NHL and he's leading the league in points. 

I don't know if Jake's partying has anything to do with his development.  No in the same way Kassian did.  If anything jake just needs some tough love and build some confidence, last year was a roller coaster of emotions.  Let him settle back in and get the hang of the pro sport. 

It doesn't matter if Nylander and Ehlers party. They are performing up to expectations, if not exceeding them. But if they weren't (Virtanen), they'd have to take a look in the mirror and see what they were doing that was getting in the way of them having success.

12 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

It doesn't matter if Nylander and Ehlers party. They are performing up to expectations, if not exceeding them. But if they weren't (Virtanen), they'd have to take a look in the mirror and see what they were doing that was getting in the way of them having success.

This. 

Partying and having fun is warranted but if you're in Virtanen's position, you'd think he'd forego some crazy nights at the Roxy to work on his game, especially when you're spotted there on a weekly basis. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

You're implying that virtanen partying is the reason he's struggled out the gate. That's a big accusation. As I said it's likely has far more to do with in game confidence that anything else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You're implying that virtanen partying is the reason he's struggled out the gate. That's a big accusation. As I said it's likely has far more to do with in game confidence that anything else. 

I think his confidence was shattered by Willie D for sure.  I also believe Jake came to camp out of shape, and overweight.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No, I'm implying that there are things he needs to do to improve on his game because he is seriously underperforming at this point compared to players that were drafted behind him. One major thing is that he was out of shape. Drinking/partying is not conducive to being physically or mentally fit. Is that not a fair statement to make?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think his confidence was shattered by Willie D for sure.  I also believe Jake came to camp out of shape, and overweight.

I don't see how WD not gifting ice time to one of the youngest, most poorly conditioned players on his team can be viewed as anything but warranted...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't see how WD not gifting ice time to one of the youngest, most poorly conditioned players on his team can be viewed as anything but warranted...

Not the ice time.  The insistence on playing a defensive role, and if making a mistake in that role getting stapled to the bench.  Young players need more rein, if they are expected to develop.  Jake needed to be left to play freely, without worrying about every little positional mistake.  

16 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

No, I'm implying that there are things he needs to do to improve on his game because he is seriously underperforming at this point compared to players that were drafted behind him. One major thing is that he was out of shape. Drinking/partying is not conducive to being physically or mentally fit. Is that not a fair statement to make?

But that's another assumption though.  If Jake was partying too much and not showing up for his workouts there might be a connection but as far as I remember, TL said Jake was at the rink working out everyday with the team, and trust me if you are out partying the night before there is no way you'd be able to train the next day.  NHL off season work outs push you to the max, i remember blacking out one time simply because my breakfast wasn't big enough, I can't imagine attempting that hungover.

I think the partying tends to get overblown, seeing him out once or twice a weekend turns into he been wasted every night. Seeing a group of girls hanging around him turns into jealousy and rumours spread. The NHL mgmt keeps a very close eye on it's players especially when he's working out in his hometown with the rest of his teammates.   If mgmt didn't think his conditioning wasn't up to par, why'd they wait a month to send him back down and waste a roster spot in Etem.  It doesn't take a month to figure out the players wasn't in shape. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sure, the guy is young (and dumb) and maybe he'll grow out of it. But is JV really smarty enough to manipulate Benning into drafting him? How were there no reports of this behaviour from his days with the Hitmen? Are my expectations too high? Have we been spoiled with Horvat? Ugggh!

Hahaha my Girlfriend shows me InPower stuff all the time.  It's a hoot.

I've heard a lot girls talk about some pretty shady things that pretty famous athletes, actors and musicians have done or said.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd say it would be more of a concern if it was an ongoing problem and he hadn't shown any signs of improvement. By all accounts, he's working hard in Utica and taking his job seriously.

This off season should be fairly telling though if he slips back in to old, bad habits and comes to camp too bulky etc, I'll be more concerned.

Let's not keep crucifying the kid for his past. People are allowed to change and mature. Especially at 20. I'm more concerned with what he's doing NOW and in the future personally.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 4

So some annonamous people have said things about Jake, so  it must be true.

Let me fill you in on something Justin Trudeau is gay, I have a friend who knows a guy that said Trudeau is gay. Thus it is a confirmed fact now- that is how this works right?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

The same way gifting a guy like Megna 1st PP unit time can be viewed as unwarranted of course

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

So some annonamous people have said things about Jake, so  it must be true.

Let me fill you in on something Justin Trudeau is gay, I have a friend who knows a guy that said Trudeau is gay. Thus it is a confirmed fact now- that is how this works right?

Dude, don't no...Just don't

There are literally people that will read this and run to social media saying they heard first hand Trudeau is going to allow gay muslim hijab wearers to run this country with sharia law while allowing TFWs to take over all our jobs while carbon taxing our gasps of dismay

I get what you're saying and I agree but some doors should stay shut when making comparitive statements.  People are to stupid these days to distance fact from fiction

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Dude, don't no...Just don't

There are literally people that will read this and run to social media saying they heard first hand Trudeau is going to allow gay muslim hijab wearers to run this country with sharia law while allowing TFWs to take over all our jobs while carbon taxing our gasps of dismay

I get what you're saying and I agree but some doors should stay shut when making comparitive statements.  People are to stupid these days to distance fact from fiction

You maybe right, but all this annonamous sources said bs is really starting to tick me off.

So only 13 more games to go and your prediction is looking very, very good.

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not the ice time.  The insistence on playing a defensive role, and if making a mistake in that role getting stapled to the bench.  Young players need more rein, if they are expected to develop.  Jake needed to be left to play freely, without worrying about every little positional mistake.  

I don't know...I'm pretty sure that's what Travis Green is doing in Utica and a necessary part of becoming a pro. Plus it's not like Jake is Conor McDavid. Just because you're a 1st round pick doesn't mean you should get free rein. Especially when you don't have elite offensive skill.

20 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

But that's another assumption though.  If Jake was partying too much and not showing up for his workouts there might be a connection but as far as I remember, TL said Jake was at the rink working out everyday with the team, and trust me if you are out partying the night before there is no way you'd be able to train the next day.  NHL off season work outs push you to the max, i remember blacking out one time simply because my breakfast wasn't big enough, I can't imagine attempting that hungover.

I think the partying tends to get overblown, seeing him out once or twice a weekend turns into he been wasted every night. Seeing a group of girls hanging around him turns into jealousy and rumours spread. The NHL mgmt keeps a very close eye on it's players especially when he's working out in his hometown with the rest of his teammates.   If mgmt didn't think his conditioning wasn't up to par, why'd they wait a month to send him back down and waste a roster spot in Etem.  It doesn't take a month to figure out the players wasn't in shape. 

He showed up to camp over 230 LBS. It doesn't matter if he came to the rink every day if he's also frequently getting drunk, eating in excess and having sleepless nights with various women. That takes a toll on your body and is an obvious area of his life that could be holding him back.

As far as your comment about not being able to train the day after partying all night, clearly you haven't read Theo Fleury's book. But the difference there is Fleury still stepped on the ice and produced.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This right here.

Fact of the matter is, Jake was never a "step right in" prospect.  Everyone, including those who supported drafting him, knew this.  To claim direct causation between his partying and on-ice performance holds quite the burden of proof.

• Upvote 1