The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

If McCann had 15lbs more muscle, he'd be on the team with his play so far. Might get a ~9 game look.

Also...

I was never really a super fan of Kesler. But to be fair about the 2b comment. I think he would of become a lot more offensively gifted if he had the opportunity to ever be a 1st line center. He had a glass ceiling of 2nd line Center because theres no way he gets playing time over Hank. Which is fair but I think Kes could of been more well rounded but he accepted his role as a 2nd line center and did what he had too to help the team the succeed. (hence his strong shutdown game).

I agree though I think McCann has more creative juices. #excited

Next season we will be a drastrically different looking team. :)

I was never really a super fan of Kesler. But to be fair about the 2b comment. I think he would of become a lot more offensively gifted if he had the opportunity to ever be a 1st line center. He had a glass ceiling of 2nd line Center because theres no way he gets playing time over Hank. Which is fair but I think Kes could of been more well rounded but he accepted his role as a 2nd line center and did what he had too to help the team the succeed. (hence his strong shutdown game).

I agree though I think McCann has more creative juices. #excited

Next season we will be a drastrically different looking team. :)

Kesler ALWAYS had to work on his offensive game. It didn't come as naturally to him as it does to McCann.

And it was 1B, not 2B FWIW ;)

Easily the most cerebral player we have on the puck. Works extremely hard despite his lower weight. If he was bigger this year he would make the team, but his one on one battles with Burns just showed he's gotta go back to junior this year I think. Vey is lucky to have another year to prove his NHL value, because next year McCann will be on this team, and could have had his spot this year.

Not many players in the league would win one-on-one battles with Burns as it is.

McCann was in hard on the forecheck, hitting dmen and constantly coming up with the puck, taking it to the net, and making good plays. He was the best of anyone on the powerplay and arguably the best Canuck on the night. He's listed at about the same size as 18YO, so there's no reason physically he cannot make the team now. He has NHL game.

As evidenced by his interiews, his compete level and desire is such that he fully intends to make the team, and even at this point just two games in, he's making a very strong case.

Remember how at his draft interview he said he planned/expected to make the Canucks after the next season in junior? The kid carries a big chip, but he's certainly backing it all up. It's not arrogance, but confidence and the drive to succeed. Sounds like Gaunce is into that zone now as well.

Not many players in the league would win one-on-one battles with Burns as it is.

McCann was in hard on the forecheck, hitting dmen and constantly coming up with the puck, taking it to the net, and making good plays. He was the best of anyone on the powerplay and arguably the best Canuck on the night. He's listed at about the same size as 18YO, so there's no reason physically he cannot make the team now. He has NHL game.

As evidenced by his interiews, his compete level and desire is such that he fully intends to make the team, and even at this point just two games in, he's making a very strong case.

Remember how at his draft interview he said he planned/expected to make the Canucks after the next season in junior? The kid carries a big chip, but he's certainly backing it all up. It's not arrogance, but confidence and the drive to succeed. Sounds like Gaunce is into that zone now as well.

I was not too high on McCann before, seeing him play now I'm thinking more like you. The kid has number one centre written all over him.

McCanns profile has been updated. He's listed at 179.

I'm not worried. The Sedin's are listed less than 10 lbs heavier and win lots of puck battles. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Weight and strength aren't always mutual. The Sedins are probably heavier than their listed weight of 190 lbs and are definitely stronger then most would think

The Higgins injury could be the opening McCann needs to make the team this year. The team could give McCanna showcase while Higgins is out. If McCann plays well, he can force Bennings hand to make a trade, if not send him back to junior.

If Higgins is out longer than expected or if McCann just doesn't cut it, send Jensen, Gaunce or Shink can also be given a longer look.

For some reason, I feel like McCann is further along as a prospect than Jake is. Jake just has the added 6th overall pick status that is pushing him ahead of McCann in management's eyes.

Jake has the added size and a tantalizing tool box. McCann's overall game, positioning etc is more developed and they both have wicked shots. If McCann had Horvat's size there'd be no question on whether he makes the club IMO. Right now they both have question marks.

Jake has the added size and a tantalizing tool box. McCann's overall game, positioning etc is more developed and they both have wicked shots. If McCann had Horvat's size there'd be no question on whether he makes the club IMO. Right now they both have question marks.

I know a couple of our young guys like Jake, Baertschi and Vey trained with Vancouver's strength and conditioning coaches in the summer, but I don't recall seeing McCann being mentioned as doing so. Kind of disappointing seeing as how that trio has improved their fitness by a good margin and McCann doesn't look to have made much improvement in terms of size and strength. Like you said, it looks like it's the only thing keeping him off the opening night lineup and I feel like if he had put in the work with our other guys he'd have put himself in a really good position to make it.

I know a couple of our young guys like Jake, Baertschi and Vey trained with Vancouver's strength and conditioning coaches in the summer, but I don't recall seeing McCann being mentioned as doing so. Kind of disappointing seeing as how that trio has improved their fitness by a good margin and McCann doesn't look to have made much improvement in terms of size and strength. Like you said, it looks like it's the only thing keeping him off the opening night lineup and I feel like if he had put in the work with our other guys he'd have put himself in a really good position to make it.

Remember that McCann was recovering from the hit he took at the World Juniors summer camp. Not sure he was cleared for full workout until Sept.

He looks good right now, wish we could send him to Utica as I'm not sure how much more he can learn in the OHL, but I don't think he can make the NHL out of camp. Needs a little more size to really survive a full season in the NHL. I don't think he's a player that I'd want to convert to wing either, I think he brings a lot to the center position, so I'm guessing that he will be sent back to Junior and told to work on adding some bulk for next year.

Young guys frequently have trouble adding bulk. He appears to have relatively good strength and a high compete level. I think he's put on ~10lbs since last year as well. I'm not terribly concerned about his commitment/training.

Young guys frequently have trouble adding bulk. He appears to have relatively good strength and a high compete level. I think he's put on ~10lbs since last year as well. I'm not terribly concerned about his commitment/training.

He suffered with mono too, which (I guess) hindered his putting on weight.

Archived