The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

He can hit 90 points if he's playing 24-26 mins a night.

If he plays 70 games and 24 mins per night he should be scoring 94 points. If he doesn't then his points per minuet will have decreased.

If he plays 60 games then he should be putting 81 points while playing 24 mins a night.

I dunno. I understand its not all about the stats. I know he's huge. But other than his size im not impressed with anything about him. It could be just from me not following him. I do hope he pans out. Its not the end of the world of he doesnt. But I see cederholm having a much better nhl career.

Just my two cents though. Sorry I posted this in the McCann talk thread.

Hold on though,

I may be remembering things incorrectly, but didn't Chara not have a lot going for him at first? Not a lot of hype, except that he was big?

He just kind of hung around for a few years playing in the bottom pairing for the Isles and Sens, taking the odd fight and playing a simple game.

Then he just blew up and became a Norris contender later on,

Not saying this guy will be Chara, but if he has the physical tools and is willing to work on his game, then perhaps he could follow a similar (But certainly less impressive) career path?

From the interviews I've read with him, the guy seems to have a little something personality wise, not just the usual hockey interview BS. That leads me to speculate he might want to stand out on the ice as well, which could mean he might be willing to do the work necessary to stand out.

Not trying to make any kind of concrete argument in his favor, just throwing a few positive (if insubstantial) things out there to consider.

Sbisa finds his game and Bonino plays the same as last year than McCann's development will be the tipping point to throw the trade greatly into the Canucks favour.

C'mon guys let's stay on topic.

I find the first "if" to be highly unlikely, the second I hope happens but based on the info available it seems unlikely, (I think Bonino could do it again, but probably not on this team)

McCann is the real hope for this trade, and I must say, I really like the potential there. He's probably the prospect I'm most excited about.

He's 6'7. Playing well in the KHL. He very well could become an NHL regular for the Canucks.

I wonder if the biggest block to getting him over here might be NHL/KHL economics.

A guy like him could probably make more money in the KHL, then he would be paid to try out over here.

Unless the Canucks were to pay him as a regular, whether he was in the AHL or not, it probably wouldn't be with his while financially to come here.

If he plays 70 games and 24 mins per night he should be scoring 94 points. If he doesn't then his points per minuet will have decreased.

If he plays 60 games then he should be putting 81 points while playing 24 mins a night.

For what it's worth, there are only 68 regular season games in an OHL season.

From Wikipedia:

The 20 OHL clubs play a 68 game unbalanced schedule, which starts in the third full week of September, running until the third week of March.

Dubas seems like a smart guy (so I was pretty surprised the Leafs hired him lol). He seems to think McCann could be a Couture or O'Reilly level player. He drafted him ahead of Ho Sang, Fabbri, Dal Colle, Bennett in the 2012 OHL draft.

Alright well that's good to know. still means he could score 90 points without actually improving his points per minuet of ice time.

McCann's gonna have his dancing shoes on.

Guest Dasein

Threads that get off topic and turn into a pissing match between two posters is so annoying!

I think McCann is going to break 40 goals and 90 points this season with the Soo! I'm excited to see his development. If Sbisa finds his game and Bonino plays the same as last year than McCann's development will be the tipping point to throw the trade greatly into the Canucks favour.

C'mon guys let's stay on topic.

Even if all that happens, if the Ducks win the Cup they win.

We would have a chance to even things out if we win the Cup with Bonino, Sbisa and/or McCann playing a major role a few years down the road.

I know I said before that his play reminds me of Couture, but after watching EVEN more I can't help but notice how much Toews he has in him.

Look at their goals and assists and tell me they don't look similar.

I agree. If you watch his top 10 goals montage he scores 3 or 4 where he undresses and splits through 2 defenders while showing off his sick hands. After reading what his former gm said about him i was really excited. The fact he held back on offense to work on his D makes me wonder how many points he would have got if he opened up his game to his full potential. For us im glad he didn't cuz I really doubt he would have been around. I may be way off here but does anyone else think he might end up being the best centre of his class in 3 years? the amount of compete this kid has to actually hold back on offense during his draft year just so he could get better all around plus how pissed he was that he slipped in the draft shows me this guy wants to always do well, I luv bo hunter and jake and gaunce and cassels, but mcann my gut just screams he's gonna be the best guy we ever drafted not named sedin or bure. I know this is blasphemy since we just traded him but he reminds me of kesler but with way more offensive upside. he's also quite mature imo. When he was asked about the NHL instead of saying the typical i wanna make it this year, he said one more year with the soo then the NHL. Funny thing is I think he might just blow everyone away and get a 9 game stint. ok maybe the heat is making me blab foolishly, but that's how high i am on him #yesheMcann lol :towel::picard:::D:P:blink:

If the numbers from that average ice time post are correct, for him to maintain his points/minutes average while increasing his TOI by 6-7 minutes would be a big accomplishment. that would show a huge level of consistency in his game to me.

If the numbers from that average ice time post are correct, for him to maintain his points/minutes average while increasing his TOI by 6-7 minutes would be a big accomplishment. that would show a huge level of consistency in his game to me.

Agreed, but I'd like to see him get his Points per min down to the 16 range instead of at the 17.8 mark he's currently at.

That would project him as more of a 1C.

I agree. If you watch his top 10 goals montage he scores 3 or 4 where he undresses and splits through 2 defenders while showing off his sick hands. After reading what his former gm said about him i was really excited. The fact he held back on offense to work on his D makes me wonder how many points he would have got if he opened up his game to his full potential. For us im glad he didn't cuz I really doubt he would have been around. I may be way off here but does anyone else think he might end up being the best centre of his class in 3 years? the amount of compete this kid has to actually hold back on offense during his draft year just so he could get better all around plus how pissed he was that he slipped in the draft shows me this guy wants to always do well, I luv bo hunter and jake and gaunce and cassels, but mcann my gut just screams he's gonna be the best guy we ever drafted not named sedin or bure. I know this is blasphemy since we just traded him but he reminds me of kesler but with way more offensive upside. he's also quite mature imo. When he was asked about the NHL instead of saying the typical i wanna make it this year, he said one more year with the soo then the NHL. Funny thing is I think he might just blow everyone away and get a 9 game stint. ok maybe the heat is making me blab foolishly, but that's how high i am on him #yesheMcann lol :towel::picard: : :D :P:blink:

i smell a bro-mance a brewin...and it smells delicious

PROSPECT PROFILE #6: JARED MCCANN

As I've already alluded to, I've come around on Jared McCann as a prospect as the summer has gone along. For one, bias aside, I figure if Kyle Dubas is talking about something we should be listening. There's a boatload of revealing nuggets in Dubas' chat with Rhys re: McCann's deployment last season and such, but what stood out for me was the point about his neutral zone capabilities:

We'll get to collectively know infinitely more on this subject after Corey Sznajder's full season tracking is published (and more work gets released on the subject in general as our understanding and resources expand), but there's no denying that the aforementioned skills are awfully conducive for future success.

Dubas went on to highlight Logan Couture and Ryan O'Reilly as possible comparisons for McCann. It goes without saying that both are already established, highly-regarded, two-way players, but they may also provide relevant tell-tales for someone like McCann.

Couture was (mostly) lights-out good as a junior player, and then dominated a half-season of AHL hockey before forcing his way into San Jose's lineup two years after having been drafted. O'Reilly's production in the OHL is actually more favourably comparable to that of McCann, though he managed to make the Avs right out of camp the following season. After some initial tribulations he has gone on to become a fantastic player.

At this point, there are two things that McCann needs to do to help position himself more aptly in that discussion: add some weight as he continues to develop physically (a reasonable goal for an 18-year old), and just as importantly, produce at a higher level. Both the player and his former GM appear to be readily aware of this. He's shown he can play the game at a high level - getting himself drafted in the 1st round, an accomplishment in and of itself - and he has progressed nicely from year 1 to year 2 in his OHL career, but this season he needs to dominate.

What McCann already has going for him is his ability to play in his own end, against the opposition's best. That's something that coaches value greatly when doling out ice time to young players, which bodes well for McCann moving forward. For that reason, he stands a chance to earn ice time sooner than many of his peers.

It's what he manages to do with that opportunity that will tell the story down the road. It's hard to judge at this point, since he's only had two seasons of junior hockey, but to understand how hard it is to project from a sample size such as his look at his scoring rate comps -- just ahead of him are the likes of Radek Faksa, Benoit Pouliot, Ryan Getzlaf, Zack Kassian and Brendan Gaunce. Just behind him are Bo Horvat, Kyle Chipchura, Brandon Sutter, Curtis Lazar and Michael Grabner.

There's a touch of gold, some valuable assets and a pile of question marks in that mix.

Really what are the chances of this guy making the team this year? Is there an age restriction?

we are much too deep at C for him to have a legitimate shot this year, he will be back in juniors to develop further, if a young center makes the team, it will be Gaunce, or possibly Horvat (although id like to see horvat in junior again) maybe if Benning trades Matthias or Richardson there would be room for another C, but at this stage in the game, it looks to me like Sedin, Bonino, Matthias, Richardson will be our 4 centers....

I watched a greyhounds game today online and boy McCann is pretty dynamic on the power play. He played the point a bit. In one PP I watched he hit the net 3 times, 1 post. A mixture of one timers and wristers where he skates in off the wall. His shot looked pretty fast. He made some nice passes too. He reminded me a bit of P Sharp. He looked tenacious as well on the backcheck, Im excited about this guy. I recommend everyone to revisit a few old games for these guys rather than just the highlights.

I watched a greyhounds game today online and boy McCann is pretty dynamic on the power play. He played the point a bit. In one PP I watched he hit the net 3 times, 1 post. A mixture of one timers and wristers where he skates in off the wall. His shot looked pretty fast. He made some nice passes too. He reminded me a bit of P Sharp. He looked tenacious as well on the backcheck, Im excited about this guy. I recommend everyone to revisit a few old games for these guys rather than just the highlights.

Could you provide a link to a greyhound game?

Archived