The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

So when the Canucks drafted Demko, did they not sign him to a contract? Sorry I'm not sure how the process works. Does he remain Canuck property even though he's not officially signed to a contract? Can any team sign him at this point? 

Just now, Shaft said:

So when the Canucks drafted Demko, did they not sign him to a contract? Sorry I'm not sure how the process works. Does he remain Canuck property even though he's not officially signed to a contract? Can any team sign him at this point? 

He is our property until he competes four years of college.  He loses his scholarship if he signs with us.  We own the rights to sign him until he completes next year - 2017.  He becomes a UFA after that.  This applies to Boesser too.  Except he still has three years left in school. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Shaft said:

NCAA rules prohibits a player from signing a pro contract as they will forego their scholarship.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Upvote 1

Boston College with 16 draft picks on the team, Quinnipiac has 2. Just shows that if you buy into a system and play hard anything can happen.

On the 3 goals scored by Quinnipiac there is 1 Demko would want back, great game other wise. BC just didn't show up, top line really had nothing going for them, and by the time they got moving it was too late. However Quinnipiac keeper came up with a couple huge saves in the last minute. Quinnipiac play style reminded me of Torts, block shots, get in lanes, sacrifice.

12 hours ago, 250Integra said:

NCAA rules permit a player from signing a pro contract as they will forego their scholarship.

I think you meant to say that NCAA rules prohibit a player from signing a pro contract instead of permit but I'm pretty sure most people understood the point you were making.  

Been reports that JB is interested in signing Garteig. Be a great 1//2 in Utica but seeing as Garteig just bumped Demko out of the playoffs I wonder if he'd care if he is signed here or not.

Garteig is from BC is 24 and posted great numbers this year and good number 2 years prior. He'd probably be a respectable backup and maybe could be fast tracked to the NHL as Markstroms backup (post Miller contract) while Demko gets prime time miunutes in the AHL. 

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I think you meant to say that NCAA rules prohibit a player from signing a pro contract instead of permit but I'm pretty sure most people understood the point you were making.  

But that's what I wrote... ;)

Brain wasn't working.

Just now, J.R. said:

I give it until Sunday night before half of CDC is freaking out that he hasn't signed yet despite that quote that he'll need a few weeks.

I'm sure Botch already has an article ready for next week.

"The Canucks never really had a chance with Demko"

58 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I give it until Sunday night before half of CDC is freaking out that he hasn't signed yet despite that quote that he'll need a few weeks.

I'm sure Botch already has an article ready for next week.

I'm not sure what thread you are following. I'm pretty sure they started freaking out that we hadn't signed him about 18 months ago lol.

Its incredible there aren't more deaths in Vancouver attributed to seppuku (HariKari). Seriously, every time a UFA signs with another team, you'd think some of the world had ended!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goblix said:

Been reports that JB is interested in signing Garteig. Be a great 1//2 in Utica but seeing as Garteig just bumped Demko out of the playoffs I wonder if he'd care if he is signed here or not.

Garteig is from BC is 24 and posted great numbers this year and good number 2 years prior. He'd probably be a respectable backup and maybe could be fast tracked to the NHL as Markstroms backup (post Miller contract) while Demko gets prime time miunutes in the AHL. 

Garteig was already in the Canucks Development Camp in 2014 and didn't get offered a contract.  He's from Prince George and played his Jr A hockey in Powell River/Penticton where he won an RBC Cup and was the goalie of the year 2x.  There's been plenty of time for the Canucks organization to have scouted this kid as he's been on a pretty big stage in the hockey world for several years now.  If this kid gets passed over yet again and actually becomes something in the NHL, the Canucks have no one to blame for missing the boat on him as he was literally playing in their own back yard for years. 

As for Demko, I'm a bit nervous that he's going to pull a 'Vesey' on us, but that might just be my paranoia talking? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not sure what thread you are following. I'm pretty sure they started freaking out that we hadn't signed him about 18 months ago lol.

Its incredible there aren't more deaths in Vancouver attributed to seppuku (HariKari). Seriously, every time a UFA signs with another team, you'd think some of the world had ended!

Not really, that would take a strong sense of honour. 

Most of the posters who freak out don't have that level of commitment. 

They'd chicken out at the last minute and blame someone else. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Garteig was already in the Canucks Development Camp in 2014 and didn't get offered a contract.  He's from Prince George and played his Jr A hockey in Powell River/Penticton where he won an RBC Cup and was the goalie of the year 2x.  There's been plenty of time for the Canucks organization to have scouted this kid as he's been on a pretty big stage in the hockey world for several years now.  If this kid gets passed over yet again and actually becomes something in the NHL, the Canucks have no one to blame for missing the boat on him as he was literally playing in their own back yard for years. 

As for Demko, I'm a bit nervous that he's going to pull a 'Vesey' on us, but that might just be my paranoia talking? 

there's always a chance. but Demko seems like a kid with good character. don't think he will do what Vesey has done. but then again. if Demko doesn't sign...you'd have to be somewhat concern. why would he go back to the NCAA when he can begin his pro career? it's not like he's got anything left to learn with regards to hockey at college.