The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

31 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Stat watching demko this season has been disappointing. what does he look like in between the pipes on your end? think he would fare better if he had more starts?

The other goalie got hurt last night, so Demko finished up the last 10 minutes.  He's got the raw talents for sure, but needs to play.  He should get that chance now.  The Canucks will need another goalie in Utica though.  

It'll take Demko a bit to get adjusted, and particularly coming from the NCAA schedule it's not a bad idea to ease him in. He's working a lot with Melanson I'm sure and they'll want to balance his practice and game time to allow him chances to work on it all. No reason to rush him to be the saviour of the Comets or the Canucks. Let's develop him properly.

Looks like Bachman was injured in that last game meaning Demko may be getting a much heavier workload soon. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it. I'm not expecting much (he's still young), but maybe we'll be surprised.

2 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I'm excited to see how Demko and Garteig handle the challenge while Bachman's out. Utica looks like they might be able about to turn the corner (I hope)

Yeah you bet. Ever since the Canucks have sent Virtanen there, they've been undefeated if I can recall. So it's nice to see them work from bottom to top of the standings again hopefully.

Edited by Beary Sweet

17 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ryan BiechVerified account ‏@ryanbiech  5m5 minutes ago

In his last four games (and one relief appearance) Thatcher Demko is 4-0-0 with 2.14 GAA and 0.930 SV%

very very nice young demko of the thatcher!!!

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Ryan Biech ‏@ryanbiech  11h11 hours ago

In his last seven appearances - Thatcher Demko is 5-1-0 with a 1.96 GAA and 0.932 SV%

Unreal. I was hoping Demko and Garteig could step up to the pressure with Bachman out but it seems Thatcher is doing plenty of good work on his own.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do we trade Markstrom, and resign Miller?

Wrong thread but I'll take a swing:

I've been thinking about this for the last few days, if Miller just walks at the end of the year the team gains $6 mill inn cap space- which is a valuable asset to have just by itself. If he can be traded for a pick and cap space that is a big win, however Markstrom would most likely get a bigger trade return, but if Miller re-signs it would be for a larger cap hit than Markstrom' s $ 3.667 mill. If Miller re-signed for $5 mill  does the money difference equal a draft pick?

Seems that no matter what happens in net the Canucks improve in the end, either with money or picks or both.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wrong thread but I'll take a swing:

I've been thinking about this for the last few days, if Miller just walks at the end of the year the team gains $6 mill inn cap space- which is a valuable asset to have just by itself. If he can be traded for a pick and cap space that is a big win, however Markstrom would most likely get a bigger trade return, but if Miller re-signs it would be for a larger cap hit than Markstrom' s $ 3.667 mill. If Miller re-signed for $5 mill  does the money difference equal a draft pick?

Seems that no matter what happens in net the Canucks improve in the end, either with money or picks or both.

It sounds like Demko is going to be ready sooner, rather than later.  If we trade Markstrom, that creates a space for Demko.  Then Miller resigns as the veteran presence?

1 hour ago, hobart16 said:

Demko looked awfully good the last two nights; and the Albany Devils team is pretty solid.  He's getting the hang of the pro game and is so square and calm all the time, just a pleasure to watch.  

hope I can catch a game soon 

• Upvote 1