The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Just now, Alflives said:

No, of course Alf does not.  :lol:

Demko will be our starter in two seasons!  Alf has spoken the truth, bow.

Wow.. This makes so much more sense now.

In two season's we're going to have a Luongo/Schneider situation if Demko signs this year.

1 minute ago, junglesniper said:

Wow.. This makes so much more sense now.

In two season's we're going to have a Luongo/Schneider situation if Demko signs this year.

What do you think about extending Miller for 1 or 2 more seasons after next year, trading Markstrom, and bringing in Demko as the 'next one' after he plays one season in Utica?  Then there would be a clear path for Demko to become the starter, while we still keep Miller here to buffer the transition.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do you think about extending Miller for 1 or 2 more seasons after next year, trading Markstrom, and bringing in Demko as the 'next one' after he plays one season in Utica?  Then there would be a clear path for Demko to become the starter, while we still keep Miller here to buffer the transition.

Trades? did you miss the TDL.

1 hour ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Well he has flown back to Boston and will give the Canucks an answer within a week to 10 days.

Farewell tour?:ph34r:

Something is missing above:

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 2h2 hours ago

Sources tell me that Thatcher Demko is on his way back to Boston today, hopefully will decide in 7-10 days whether to sign with #Canucks.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Provost said:

The only other consideration would be looking at how Utica might be as a team next year, you might not want to go somewhere that has a porous defence and risk getting ventilated every night.  

:blink: What gives you that indication...?

4 hours ago, stawns said:

But he's a year closer to UFA status and the real payday if he goes pro now.  Add to that athletes want to challenge themselves, push themselves at every turn......there's not much challenge left in college for him anymore.

I don't think when he starts will matter to his UFA status. He will get to 27 before he gets 7 years at this point. If he signs an ELC this year it has to be 3 years and if he signs next year it will be 2 years so he gets to RFA status the same whether he signs this year or next unless they can burn the year next year. It would have been beneficial if the Canucks had the ability to burn a year this year like they did for Tryamkin and essentially turn it into a 2 year deal but BC making the Frozen Four ruined that. 

pretty concerned about Demko not being all that ready to sign. he has known this was coming. This reminds me of all the past issues  with goaltending that we have had, trying to sign Luongo, then that huge contract then trying to trade Luongo, but trading schneider for below market value, then trading Luongo for way way way below value then trading Lack for seemingly below value, rant rant rant

if Edmonton gets 1st OA - offer them demo, Tanev, sbisa, McCann - thats a future franchise goalie, a top 2 dman and a top prospect, and an NHL d man who is better than most of their d men. That solves a lot of their problems.

Edmonton would probably want the 1st round pick we get - that depends where we draft, if its 2nd - no way, if its 6th - I would do it, but get an asset back from Edmonton.

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

pretty concerned about Demko not being all that ready to sign. he has known this was coming. This reminds me of all the past issues  with goaltending that we have had, trying to sign Luongo, then that huge contract then trying to trade Luongo, but trading schneider for below market value, then trading Luongo for way way way below value then trading Lack for seemingly below value, rant rant rant

if Edmonton gets 1st OA - offer them demo, Tanev, sbisa, McCann - thats a future franchise goalie, a top 2 dman and a top prospect, and an NHL d man who is better than most of their d men. That solves a lot of their problems.

Edmonton would probably want the 1st round pick we get - that depends where we draft, if its 2nd - no way, if its 6th - I would do it, but get an asset back from Edmonton.

^^^This guy^^^

32 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

If anyone needs a hand to hold, or a brown paper bag to aid with breathing, hit me up.

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 4

sign me up, I like either warm milk and cookies or a good hand to inner thigh while you whisper in my ear "everything will be ok"

alsop, nothing like a good ear lobe rub.

ps. Phil kessel wears turtle neck sweaters and listens to Jewel while he puts on lipstick in the mirror.

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bd71 said:

I don't think when he starts will matter to his UFA status. He will get to 27 before he gets 7 years at this point. If he signs an ELC this year it has to be 3 years and if he signs next year it will be 2 years so he gets to RFA status the same whether he signs this year or next unless they can burn the year next year. It would have been beneficial if the Canucks had the ability to burn a year this year like they did for Tryamkin and essentially turn it into a 2 year deal but BC making the Frozen Four ruined that. 

sorry, that's what I meant.....thanks for correcting

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually that's a really good idea. Markstrom hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'm sure Demko is thinking he may be a backup for a few years ala Schneider. If we trade Markstrom in the summer and extend Miller for 2 years then Demko will have a clear path to the number one job in 2-3 years. 

Also remember Markstrom is a UFA next year. If he has a great year next year then a team like Edmonton could offer him $4-$5 million. We'd be scrambling to keep him so we'd have to pony up. If we do that then where does Demko fit in?

I actually don't see a scenario where we keep Markstrom and sign him long term and then have Demko as his backup. Trading Markstrom and resigning Miller for a year or two and have Demko as his backup for 2 years makes much more sense. 

We we could get a very good asset for Markstrom in the summer. A roster player for sure. 

Edited by Harvey Spector