The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Nikita doesn't mess around. His eyes were opened during his brief time here and I'm positive that he wants to be loved and feared in the NHL. I've met the guy and looked into his eyes, we have a beast with a lot of drive.

Couple that with how close Vancouver is to his hometown (relatively of course) and we have a nice groundwork for a hard working Russian who wants to make his mark. I'd bet on him being a success, possible top pairing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Nikita doesn't mess around. His eyes were opened during his brief time here and I'm positive that he wants to be loved and feared in the NHL. I've met the guy and looked into his eyes, we have a beast with a lot of drive.

Couple that with how close Vancouver is to his hometown (relatively of course) and we have a nice groundwork for a hard working Russian who wants to make his mark. I'd bet on him being a success, possible top pairing.

How was his English? (Unless you were speaking Russian). I've heard it's better than he lets on. 

Not great. Kinda like a grade 11 english person who took french if that makes sense?

I got him to sign a jersey.. he didnt say "can you hold this please?" he said "you, hold?" I spent around a minute with him and the rest of the interaction was similar.

What I took away was a firm handshake, an imposing figure and a kindness to him. But mostly it was a presence and a curiosity.

3 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Not great. Kinda like a grade 11 english person who took french if that makes sense?

I got him to sign a jersey.. he didnt say "can you hold this please?" he said "you, hold?" I spent around a minute with him and the rest of the interaction was similar.

What I took away was a firm handshake, an imposing figure and a kindness to him. But mostly it was a presence and a curiosity.

Ahaha that's awesome! The example totally makes sense too since I took French from middle school up through 11th grade, and let's just say my French leaves something to be desired. :lol: He does seem to have a kindness about him, kind of like a gentle giant. Big smile, etc. Maybe that's just with the fans. Seems like a sweet kid. I'll be happy if he makes the team next season. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2016 at 3:58 AM, kloubek said:

I think as long as he is conditioned enough to play consistent nhl games that Tryamkin is a lock on a 5/6 position.   He proved that while he got far too winded, his game itself is just fine at the NHL level.  

We didn't sign him not to play him.  He's not a defensive liability, and hits like an absolute truck.

Considering he had just played a full season of big ice hockey as well, it's no surprise his wind was gone. Endurance can be easily trained.

4 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Considering he had just played a full season of big ice hockey as well, it's no surprise his wind was gone. Endurance can be easily trained.

Yes, but everyone has a different capacity.  Tryamkin is a very big guy.  This certainly could be an issue for him.  I love the guy though.  

He showed far better than many thought and looks to be a third pairing guy next season. Pretty good synopsis for a guy we knew little of. Really looking forward to this team as more players are added. Vancouvers smaller skilled players keep getting more room .

56 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

The second he dropped his gloves I started getting nervous, imagine how the guy he was fighting felt. :lol: That looked like a grown man too, and Try's pretty young. What a beast! 

That reach.

12 minutes ago, mpt said:

I hope Gudbranson can teach him how to fight

watching him approach the guy in the fight i don't see any fear in his approach its actually pretty aggressive ,and the fight itself was pretty even ,but i give it to tryamkin only for his obvious reach advantages ,i hope gudbranson drops em first this upcoming season ,not to show him how to fight per say ,but to show tryampkin to not have any trepidations of what fighting in this league is all about, but at 6'8" i do think he's pretty capable of holding his own.

3 minutes ago, chon derry said:

watching him approach the guy in the fight i don't see any fear in his approach its actually pretty aggressive ,and the fight itself was pretty even ,but i give it to tryamkin only for his obvious reach advantages ,i hope gudbranson drops em first this upcoming season ,not to show him how to fight per say ,but to show tryampkin to not have any trepidations of what fighting in this league is all about, but at 6'8" i do think he's pretty capable of holding his own.

Until he fights a real opponent.  His technique was very poor, last thing you want to see is him getting hurt, like Pedan

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Until he fights a real opponent.  His technique was very poor, last thing you want to see is him getting hurt, like Pedan

he is only 21 or 22 he'll figure it out ,my only concern is he holds back ,displaying some sort of confidence thing , in a new environment ,but as he mature's the confidence will follow ,if there is a problem there at all ,personally i don't think there is .

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

he is only 21 or 22 he'll figure it out ,my only concern is he holds back ,displaying some sort of confidence thing , in a new environment ,but as he mature's the confidence will follow ,if there is a problem there at all ,personally i don't think there is .

Instead of figuring it out, wouldn't it be better if someone was there to help teach him?  As a professional athlete figuring it out on your own is a pretty stupid idea.  Fighting is a skill like blocking a shot, sometimes it's best to be coached

Edited by mpt