The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

6 minutes ago, NameFaker said:

Yeah, but we don't have the information available to the coaching staff. I think that we've all forgotten why Willie was hired in the first place. He's good with people. He got a masters in social work. Dude is completely suited to coaching the best out of players, but he knows their limits. He understands when they've stretched too far, and pushes them to excel within their limits. 

It's exactly like Vancouver, too, everyone coaching themselves to be the best they can be. But none of us are really athletes. Runners, maybe.

Well maybe WD just didn't read the memo attached to one of Tryamkin's howitzers.

I see him as a Bryan Allen type, maybe a bit better. #4 in his prime, but mostly a good #5. Big, tough, stay at home defender with maybe 30 point upside (Allen had 25 one season). 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well maybe WD just didn't read the memo attached to one of Tryamkin's howitzers.

Problem with his 'howitzers' is that they take about a week to get off :lol:

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I see him as a Bryan Allen type, maybe a bit better. #4 in his prime, but mostly a good #5. Big, tough, stay at home defender with maybe 30 point upside (Allen had 25 one season). 

I always wished we got Allen back...he was great for what he was.

As for Tryamkin, I don't see any reason he can't be a solid number 2. The trick is just having a legitimate #1 for him to play with.

If there was a GREAT defenceman that played solid d with good offense and allowed Try to just keep it real quiet from the blueline in, that could be perhaps the best top pair in hockey in a few years.

Even this coming year, I'd be putting him with Edler and allowing Hutton and Tanev to play together.

9 minutes ago, nzan said:

Even this coming year, I'd be putting him with Edler and allowing Hutton and Tanev to play together.

I'd prefer to keep Hutton/Try as our 3rd pair for next year. I also don't like Hutton/Tanev together. They're too small and Hutton deserves a guy with a better shot to pass to. Further on I could see Try pairing well with either Hutton or Tanev as a 2nd pair though.

Edler needs a more dynamic partner, not to be Try's dynamic partner IMO. It's not his game and it's why people keep crapping on him for not being a #1 or an offensive D (neither of which he's ever been).

I'd be thrilled if we could sign either of Demers/Goligoski this summer and move Tanev to 2nd pair.

This year:

Edler, Demers/Goligoski

Sbisa, Tanev

Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd prefer to keep Hutton/Try as our 3rd pair for next year. I also don't like Hutton/Tanev together. They're too small and Hutton deserves a guy with a better shot to pass to. Further on I could see Try pairing well with either Hutton or Tanev as a 2nd pair though.

Edler needs a more dynamic partner, not to be Try's dynamic partner IMO. It's not his game and it's why people keep crapping on him for not being a #1 or an offensive D (neither of which he's ever been).

I'd be thrilled if we could sign either of Demers/Goligoski this summer and move Tanev to 2nd pair.

This year:

Edler, Demers/Goligoski

Sbisa, Tanev

Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

Demers, okay, I guess. Goligoski? No.

Right now, it's:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Tryamkin

Hamhuis/Larsen/Pedan/Sbisa

Maybe a Subban or a Stecher or a Brisebois sneaks through the ranks. Or Chychrun, if JB changes his mind.

17 minutes ago, nzan said:

doesn't that seem to be wasting tanev though?

i love that sbisa has gotten better, but i still don't like him in the top 4.

Wasting him how? He's a great 2B/3 D I think they'd be an excellent shutdown pair (both have good skating, Tanev brings the brains, Sbisa, the physicality) and open the Edler pair up for more offensive/secondary shutdown minutes. Also keeps the young guys on the third pair with less pressure with occasional top 4 time with injuries.

14 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Demers, okay, I guess. Goligoski? No.

Right now, it's:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Tryamkin

Hamhuis/Larsen/Pedan/Sbisa

Maybe a Subban or a Stecher or a Brisebois sneaks through the ranks. Or Chychrun, if JB changes his mind.

On a short, say 4 year term, why not Goligoski?

And no, if we don't sign any not-Hamhuis, I'd say it's:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis, Sbisa

Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

That's ok...but it's not particularly great (just like it wasn't last year) and does little to move the D core forward (or interest fans).

Subban, Stetcher and Brisebois (and Biega IMO) will be in Utica barring one of them absolutely annihilating the competition.

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Wasting him how? He's a great 2B/3 D I think they'd be an excellent shutdown pair (both have good skating, Tanev brings the brains, Sbisa, the physicality) and open the Edler pair up for more offensive/secondary shutdown minutes. Also keeps the young guys on the third pair with less pressure with occasional top 4 time with injuries.

On a short, say 4 year term, why not Goligoski?

And no, if we don't sign any not-Hamhuis, I'd say it's:

Edler, Tanev

Hamhuis, Sbisa

Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

That's ok...but it's not particularly great (just like it wasn't last year) and does little to move the D core forward (or interest fans).

Subban, Stetcher and Brisebois (and Biega IMO) will be in Utica barring one of them absolutely annihilating the competition.

i'm with jazz, i think our top 4 are:

edler tanev

hutton tryamkin

that's why i'd switch it up and relieve edler of some of his offensive duty by putting tryamkin together with him - making them the go-to defensive pairing.

in my mind, that would allow hutton-tanev to play together, which would allow hutton to continue to develop his offense because tanev would bring his steady d. yeah, i guess they'd be smallish, but neither of them are tiny...

10 minutes ago, nzan said:

i'm with jazz, i think our top 4 are:

edler tanev

hutton tryamkin

that's why i'd switch it up and relieve edler of some of his offensive duty by putting tryamkin together with him - making them the go-to defensive pairing.

in my mind, that would allow hutton-tanev to play together, which would allow hutton to continue to develop his offense because tanev would bring his steady d. yeah, i guess they'd be smallish, but neither of them are tiny...

Maybe in a couple years, but not next year IMO (injuries excepted).

That's two pairs with too similar of players on them IMO. The first is is bigger but lacks a puck moving/cerebral guy the second is smaller, not remotely physical and is two cerebral guys. It's a bad mix IMO.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

To early to tell Elvis. Easy to overstate where he will top out but I want to watch until X-Mass next year. Vancouver is so undersized that if he ends up being a stay at home d-man I will be very happy. If he can claw up into the top 4 it is a absolute home run and will give Benning options in moving a vet d-man at the TDL.

I'm not saying it's all over for Tryamkin to ever hope to reach that point, but he hasn't shown anything to date that would make me think he'll get near that top tier offensively. I still think he'll be a top four, and probably have some offence to contribute, but I'm not holding high hopes for anything beyond 20-30 points a year - certainly nothing like the 40-50 of the players mentioned earlier.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sure, it's too early to state anything as a matter of fact. But I'm with Elvis, if I'm gazing in to my crystal ball, I see anything from a #2-#4 D ceiling depending on how he develops/adjusts.

I'll be more than happy to be wrong and have him emerge as a #1 though! I just see it as not especially likely and there's nothing AT ALL wrong with him being a quality #2-#4 D. That's found money.

Exactly, not being a #1 isn't the end of the world for him, and in fact turns out pretty excellently for us being he was a 3rd rounder. They don't all have to turn out to be Keith, Weber or Subban if they aren't a high first rounder.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I always wished we got Allen back...he was great for what he was.

As for Tryamkin, I don't see any reason he can't be a solid number 2. The trick is just having a legitimate #1 for him to play with.

If there was a GREAT defenceman that played solid d with good offense and allowed Try to just keep it real quiet from the blueline in, that could be perhaps the best top pair in hockey in a few years.

I say keep him with Hutton! While we have Edler here maybe he and Tryamkin get some time together, but Hutton has really tried to reach out to Tryamkin and develop a camaraderie off the ice. I think that'll translate positively to a pairing. They can both be trusted in tougher situations but they can have their ice time managed a bit (with Hutton skewing to PP time and Tryamkin to PK) as well.

Edler and Tanev will still get the bulk of minutes and they pair well together, so I see no reason to mess with that (short of signing a UFA - or soon enough if we draft Sergachev perhaps!?).

14 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He hasn't been given that much of an opportunity yet from they coach..who prefers guys like Weber or Bart over blue chip defenders like Try or Hutty.

Hairy,.  Have you ever seen a hockey city and its fan base so hard on 19-20-21 year olds?

Kids like Hutton, Tryamkin, and Pedan (104mph slap shot) won't be fully developed until they are 25-26 yrs old,. as in the case of Z.Chara,.  Or even our own Tanev.   Anything we get now, while they come into their prime, is a bonus.

Tryamkin will be a monster for us at 25.. But the ride with him to that point is proving to be an exciting one already.

Like you Hairy,.  I really dislike the pessimism generated towards young growing, talented athletes here on CDC,.  It's like telling your 12 year old son that he going to amount nothing more than a garbage man in life.

If Talent is recognized,. And it gets to develop and generate,.  there is no ceiling, and no expectations with every opportunity granted.. Just the chance to succeed and exceed.

That was one of the coolest things about a young player who came to Vancouver,  the fact we knew nothing about Pavel Bure,. We had no expectations.  .  .  We knew very little about that young man, and he knew nothing of hockey in North America.   

There is an element to surprise,  that will bring anyone to their feet,.  and it begins without expectation.

Hopefully all our young talent on the Canucks get every opportunity to surprise us.

Maybe giving full opportunity, should be the only expectation.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hairy,.  Have you ever seen a hockey city and its fan base so hard on 19-20-21 year olds?

Kids like Hutton, Tryamkin, and Pedan (104mph slap shot) won't be fully developed until they are 25-26 yrs old,. as in the case of Z.Chara,.  Or even our own Tanev.   Anything we get now, while they come into their prime, is a bonus.

So much that ^^^

Despite the Willie comments, unless the Canucks grab 2-3 players from UFA or make some significant trades for more developed players, this will be the second year of transition and player development.  As such, Hutton and Tryamkin seeing 2nd pairing minutes is no problem  Hutton has already shown he can handle it, Sbisa has done so as well, and Tryamkin has shown that potential isn't far off and he should be there this season.  Pedan, Larsen, and Stecher are the question marks and will fill out the bottom pairing, and injuries will give them plenty of opportunity throughout the year.

Nothing to lose really by giving them lots of PT and experience, as expectations for the team will still be tempered.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pedan, Larsen, and Stecher are the question marks and will fill out the 7-8 spots/AHL, and injuries will give them plenty of opportunity throughout the year.

FTFY

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

FTFY

Sorry boss, but Pedan and Larsen won't be Utica-bound.  The "asset management" crowd would blow the roof off.

At least one or two of them will be playing 3rd pairing, unless Hammer is brought back or other FAs signed.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Sorry boss, but Pedan and Larsen won't be Utica-bound.  The "asset management" crowd would blow the roof off.

At least one or two of them will be playing 3rd pairing, unless Hammer is brought back or other FAs signed.

Yeah, they'd be the 7/8.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pedan is playing wing on the fourth line, I think. That creates more space on the back end, right?

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pedan is playing wing on the fourth line, I think. That creates more space on the back end, right?

Doubtful. We have even less space at forward FYI.

Edited by J.R.
22 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin will be a monster for us at 25.. But the ride with him to that point is proving to be an exciting one already.

Like you Hairy,.  I really dislike the pessimism generated towards young growing, talented athletes here on CDC,.  It's like telling your 12 year old son that he going to amount nothing more than a garbage man in life.

If Talent is recognized,. And it gets to develop and generate,.  there is no ceiling, and no expectations with every opportunity granted.. Just the chance to succeed and exceed.

That was one of the coolest things about a young player who came to Vancouver,  the fact we knew nothing about Pavel Bure,. We had no expectations.  .  .  We knew very little about that young man, and he knew nothing of hockey in North America.   

There is an element to surprise,  that will bring anyone to their feet,.  and it begins without expectation.

Hopefully all our young talent on the Canucks get every opportunity to surprise us.

Maybe giving full opportunity, should be the only expectation.

An indication of how hockey informed many fans are. Many do not have a lot of knowledge.  

• Upvote 3
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Nikita Tryamkin | #88 | D
  • -SN- locked this topic
  • -SN- unlocked this topic