The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-timing-everything-as-nikita-tryamkins-agent-seeks-canucks-deal

‘It will be an easy transition,’ says the big Russian’s agent Todd Diamond. ‘And having been there before, he kind of knows what to expect’

Polarizing. Perplexing. Popular. 

Nikita Tryamkin was all that in accumulating just 11 points in 79 games during a short and eventful sojourn over two seasons (2015-16 and a full 2016-17 campaign) with the Vancouver Canucks. On- and off-ice adaptation often played out like a movie mish-mash — disconnects between script, actor and director — but there was the prospect of a revised version producing plaudits.

And now, the rewrite for a return has started.

The coronavirus pandemic not only cancelled the remainder of Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League playoffs, Tryamkin’s three-year commitment to Yekaterinburg Automobilist has concluded — even though his contract doesn’t expire until April 30.

And because the Canucks retained negotiation rights with their third-round pick in the 2014 NHL draft, communication between general manager Jim Benning and agent Todd Diamond has become more regular.

There is Tryamkin’s improving game, expiring contracts and prospects either on the cusp of promotion or requiring more minor-league seasoning. The timing could be right for the return of the 6-foot-8, 254-pound Tryamkin because there has been dialogue.

“His game and his style are more suited for the NHL than the KHL,” Diamond said Monday in a telephone interview from Florida. “I believe it will be an easy transition. And having been there before, he kind of knows what to expect. He knows what’s going to be demanded of the coaching and training staff and he’s committed.

“He never lost hope. He’s got a lot of pride and always wanted to come back. And this is probably the right time because you want this unit (roster) to grow together.”

canucks-3.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=all

Nikita Tryamkin fends off Edmonton Oilers star Leon Draisaitl during Tryamkin’s final home game with the Canucks in the 2016-17 season. ‘He’s got a lot of pride and always wanted to come back,’ says Tryamkin’s agent Todd Diamond. Gerry Kahrmann / PNG files

Tryamkin had 11 points (2-9) and a plus-10 rating in 58 games in this KHL season. He was solid for an offensively challenged club eliminated in five games of a first-round playoff series. In one outing, Tryamkin had a team-leading 21:31 of ice time, two hits and one shot. In another, he had six shots, three blocked shots and two hits in 24:23.

“The first year there he had more points (25) than the second or third and I look at it as a positive,” said Diamond. “The team made big changes at forward and he was not as aggressive rushing the puck because the team was lacking offence. He changed to fit the style of team. That’s growth.

“He just understands himself better now.”

Reacclimating to the North American game and culture might be easier than hammering out a new deal. Diamond doesn’t expect his client to be presented with a two-way contract, in case the Canucks believe the defenceman would need development time in Utica with the AHL Comets. 

That was a contentious issue in 2016-17 when a 21-year-old Tryamkin sat the first 10 games. But he had a contract clause that allowed him to return home if demoted.

“Do you see how much interest there is in him every day in Vancouver?” said Diamond. “I don’t think people would have interest if we were talking about a player for the Utica Comets, and I don’t mean that disrespectfully at all.”

If anything, Diamond is buoyed by Travis Green at the coaching helm and assistant Nolan Baumgartner working with defencemen. When Tyramkin and his young wife left, the club had missed the playoffs under head coach Willie Desjardins with assistant Doug Lidster guiding the blue line. And while the Canucks called the exit a “family decision,” there was more to it than just that.

vancouver-canucks-v-nashville-predators.jpg?w=640&quality=60&strip=all

Nikita Tryamkin checks Ryan Johansen of the Nashville Predators through the bench door in February 2017. John Russell / PNG

“It’s a world of difference,” said Diamond. “The coach (Green) is demanding but fair and is doing a good job and can work with young players, and same with the defensive coach (Baumgartner). It’s night and day from where it was at that time. 

“The organization was chasing its tail and now I think with the players they’ve drafted, it’s a completely different roster built on talent and speed and a modern NHL game.

“We all know he (Tryamkin) is not Quinn Hughes, but he does have a skill set for a man his size. He can handle the puck and he’s pretty mobile.”

Tryamkin piled up 27 minor penalties in 66 games in 2016-17 — tied for second among rookies — and finished fourth in penalty minutes because he was asked to be more aggressive and made multiple mistakes. However, he was also tied for seventh in rookie hits (145) and tied for 11th in blocked shots (87).

Signing Tryamkin would require addressing unrestricted free agents Chris Tanev and Oscar Fantenberg, what to do with one season remaining on Jordie Benn’s depth deal and whether restricted free agent Troy Stecher has future value. 

Brogan Rafferty was third in AHL defencemen scoring with 45 points (7-38) in 57 games with the Comets, but his pivoting in retreat and play without the puck aren’t NHL ready. 

Olli Juolevi’s hip soreness sent him to the sidelines the last five games while still trying to find his groove. He managed 25 points (2-23) in 45 games for the Comets, but also raised injury-prone concerns after previous back and knee surgeries. That would only heighten interest in Tryamkin, who can play both sides.

Things are obviously stuck because of the uncertainty of the near future and what affect it’s going to have on the numbers,” summed up Diamond. “We have to see what the cap is going to look like and if we can march this thing forward, or if we can’t.”

bkuzma@postmedia.com

twitter.com/benkuzma

Try is still very much unproven and would have to prove himself worthy of being in the Top 6 of this Dcore.  I'm all for him returning, but he will have to earn his keep just like the rest of the young players have had to.  Knowing TG he isn't going to give Nikita any freebies just because he might jump ship again.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-timing-everything-as-nikita-tryamkins-agent-seeks-canucks-deal

Try is still very much unproven and would have to prove himself worthy of being in the Top 6 of this Dcore.  I'm all for him returning, but he will have to earn his keep just like the rest of the young players have had to.  Knowing TG he isn't going to give Nikita any freebies just because he might jump ship again.   

I do not think that there will be anything void in a relationship between Green, a communicator, and Tryamkin wanting to prove himself with the RIGHT guidance..

Nor do I think any freebies will be nessessary.

i beleive Tryamkin will prove himself again from the get go, like he did the last time..  the next bit

fun part is watching what this player brings, rise to the curve of his full potential.

Thanks for the read C4Nazzy..  nice to know there’s ears on the tracks for the train that’s on its way :gocan:

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 3

["The timing could be right for the return of the 6-foot-8, 254-pound Tryamkin because there has been dialogue.

“His game and his style are more suited for the NHL than the KHL,” Diamond said"...

He has size and speed at 6'8" ]

Like I have said before, his game has always looked like it was meant for our smaller ice. He can hunt forwards down. When he hits he hurts, a lot harder than any D man we got now.. And bottom pairing will be a ok for him to start.

With all the tire fires we've had this year we've needed a cycle killer like Tryamkin.

20200331_000122.jpg

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Benn-Rafferty 

Thoughts?

Edler and Myers have and do work well together.

Hughes would even use Tryamkin offensively if Nik sees the opportunity.. and he does read those. I think Tryamkin would compliment Hughes’s game immensely.

I do like the idea of seeing Rafferty up, theoretically, he would be the only Rookie, Benn would allow him some offensive prowess. 

That’s size and skill on every line.

Fantenburg as 7th or Stetcher? both have played strong for us.. knowing that Joulevi, Rathbone and Briesbouis will be knocking at the door.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Edler and Myers have and do work well together.

Hughes would even use Tryamkin offensively if Nik sees the opportunity.. and he does read those. I think Tryamkin would compliment Hughes’s game immensely.

I do like the idea of seeing Rafferty up, theoretically, he would be the only Rookie, Benn would allow him some offensive prowess. 

That’s size and skill on every line.

Fantenburg as 7th or Stetcher? both have played strong for us.. knowing that Joulevi, Rathbone and Briesbouis will be knocking at the door.

I don't see any way that Tanev is not back next season.  He is our best defensive defenseman by far, and is missed massively when he is out of the lineup.  

Not sure who will play with who, but I see Edler, Meyers, Tanev, Hughes, Tryamkin and Rafferty as our top 6 next year, with Brisebois being our 7th D.  Rafferty and Brisebois would tag off often as the 6/7 D.  Rathbone could be on that list as well, depending on what assurances we need to give to sign him.  Otherwise, he and Joulevi are our first call ups.  

I think Stecher will cost too much for what he brings, especially given our cap constraints.  He will be missed though, I do like his game.  Fantenburg is replaceable with some of our youth.  I can't see Benn coming back.  He did not show enough this year to take a spot from one of the young guys.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Benn-Rafferty 

Thoughts?

Elder Myers

Hughes Tryamkin

(We have a top 4.) 

and let the rest compete for these spots and who's ever better cap wise.

If we shed LE, Schaller, Stech(:()

Benn, Baer, maybe we could afford to keep Tanev (sweetheart deal?) Or buy a UFA defenseman. I really am not sure how or if any of our Utica D are ready? 

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Brogan Rafferty was third in AHL defencemen scoring with 45 points (7-38) in 57 games with the Comets, but his pivoting in retreat and play without the puck aren’t NHL ready. 

This from the article is what I took most out of it. For those who are wondering why Rafferty hasn't gotten the call yet need to see this.

12 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Benn-Rafferty 

Thoughts?

One pairing I'm kind of curious to see would be Hughes and Stetcher.

Lack of size?

Yes but, they, more than, make up for it in skill and speed.

Hughes is a dynamic offensive juggernaught while Stetch has proven to be a defensive stalwart.

I'd also like to see them as a PP pairing.

13 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Lack of size?

Hughes is a dynamic offensive juggernaught while Stetch has proven to be a defensive stalwart.

I'm interested to see if Benning can manage to pull off moving Benn and convince both Stecher and Tanev to re-sign for near their current hits.

With enough other solid cap clearance moves (compliance on Eriksson, regular buyout of Baer, trade Roussel etc) I think we might be able to squeeze in the following D:

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Tryamkin, Stecher

With one of Sautner/Brisebois/Rafferty/Chatfield as 7th on a cheap deal. The rest, plus OJ, Rathbone etc available as call ups.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm interested to see if Benning can manage to pull off moving Benn and convince both Stecher and Tanev to re-sign for near their current hits.

With enough other solid cap clearance moves (compliance on Eriksson, regular buyout of Baer, trade Roussel etc) I think we might be able to squeeze in the following D:

Hughes, Tanev

Edler, Myers

Tryamkin, Stecher

With one of Sautner/Brisebois/Rafferty/Chatfield as 7th on a cheap deal. The rest, plus OJ, Rathbone etc available as call ups.

Would make us better. I am a huge supporter of Rafferty as 7th D to start. Would be akin to Mac being our extra forward and being groomed but Rafferty would likely get 40+ games. We like to carry 8 D so Brisebois/Saunter/Chatfield can fight for that 8th spot, it's getting around that make or break time for them. OJ, Rathbone and Woo would benefit from AHL time, especially Woo.

Would make us younger and inexperienced but the core top 6 have a lot of experience so if Myers/Tanev went down I'd be more comfortable with Stecher filling in.

Personally though if we had the cap to upgrade on Stecher I would. Edmundson/Dillon would give us a killer top 6 with Tryamkin. That would be plan A and this would be plan B.

33 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Lack of size?

Lack of size and Stecher isn't as fast or skilled as you think. Stecher is top 6 average defensively/physically too. They'd get eaten up in their own zone behind the hash marks.

If you want to bring out the most while limiting their weaknesses they need better partners than each other.

I would like to see us stop moving all of the existing deck chairs around.  We need a D that compliments what we want to do at F and as a system.  That appears to be an up-tempo pace with grit/pushback so we should find players that compliment that.  Bringing in Tryamkin, one more bigger name (still thinking Risolainen is the right fit which would cost a bit), and maybe a rookie to bring in some youthful jump (Joulevi or Rafferty).  I am a big Tanev fan, but unless his cap is neutral to his current contract, it likely doesn't make sense.  Stecher I like as well, but not at his likely new contract.  He doesn't process the game fast enough to pay 3M per year to be an energy guy.  So something like:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

This gives us puck movers at every position with a balance of offensive and defensive awareness.  Plus, the only players that give limited grit would be Hughes and Joulevi.   That D would also likely be the largest average D grouping that the league has ever seen.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

I don't see any way that Tanev is not back next season.  He is our best defensive defenseman by far, and is missed massively when he is out of the lineup.  

Not sure who will play with who, but I see Edler, Meyers, Tanev, Hughes, Tryamkin and Rafferty as our top 6 next year, with Brisebois being our 7th D.  Rafferty and Brisebois would tag off often as the 6/7 D.  Rathbone could be on that list as well, depending on what assurances we need to give to sign him.  Otherwise, he and Joulevi are our first call ups.  

I think Stecher will cost too much for what he brings, especially given our cap constraints.  He will be missed though, I do like his game.  Fantenburg is replaceable with some of our youth.  I can't see Benn coming back.  He did not show enough this year to take a spot from one of the young guys.

Sorry Nate, To me Tanev injury history outweighs his productivity.. it is too predictable..

and to keep him for the 4-6 mil he will be looking for will just not hold water for our books.

i agree with @Kobayashi Maru,  I think we target Ristolianen,  experience, and his young curve is still rising, I think he is a player who would become the player he was predicted to be in the Canucks environment.

Buffalo is a mess...  

With Demko not being able to be protected next season in the extortion draft..  watch for a move.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would make us better. I am a huge supporter of Rafferty as 7th D to start. Would be akin to Mac being our extra forward and being groomed but Rafferty would likely get 40+ games. We like to carry 8 D so Brisebois/Saunter/Chatfield can fight for that 8th spot, it's getting around that make or break time for them. OJ, Rathbone and Woo would benefit from AHL time, especially Woo.

Would make us younger and inexperienced but the core top 6 have a lot of experience so if Myers/Tanev went down I'd be more comfortable with Stecher filling in.

Personally though if we had the cap to upgrade on Stecher I would. Edmundson/Dillon would give us a killer top 6 with Tryamkin. That would be plan A and this would be plan B.

If we're upgrading, I'd rather go big or go home and replace Tanev and Stecher altogether. Sign a guy like Pieterangelo and go with Rafferty/Tryamkin on that 3rd pair, right side.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would like to see us stop moving all of the existing deck chairs around.  We need a D that compliments what we want to do at F and as a system.  That appears to be an up-tempo pace with grit/pushback so we should find players that compliment that.  Bringing in Tryamkin, one more bigger name (still thinking Risolainen is the right fit which would cost a bit), and maybe a rookie to bring in some youthful jump (Joulevi or Rafferty).  I am a big Tanev fan, but unless his cap is neutral to his current contract, it likely doesn't make sense.  Stecher I like as well, but not at his likely new contract.  He doesn't process the game fast enough to pay 3M per year to be an energy guy.  So something like:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

This gives us puck movers at every position with a balance of offensive and defensive awareness.  Plus, the only players that give limited grit would be Hughes and Joulevi.   That D would also likely be the largest average D grouping that the league has ever seen.

Someone like Ristolainen is an option too... But that's also costing us Virtanen + to acquire.

• Cheers 1

Risto, Edmundson, Dillon, Zub?

Pieterangelo. Ericsson(Det) a lot of UFAs to consider. 

Its really too bad because our Utica guys show a lot of promise but unfortunately none are standing out to be promoted anytime soon.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If we're upgrading, I'd rather go big or go home and replace Tanev and Stecher altogether. Sign a guy like Pieterangelo and go with Rafferty/Tryamkin on that 3rd pair, right side.

Someone like Ristolainen is an option too... But that's also costing us Virtanen + to acquire.

That kind of goes with what I am saying when I want a quality RH D that can do anything. Could be plan A+ with Dillon/Edmundson being the more attainable goal. Either would be good next to Tryamkin. Dare anyone to get to the front of the net.

Not too keen on giving up any young forwards yet. Maybe once a couple more forwards come in and prove they can play. I like Risto though, he fits our age group. I'd give up a 1st if it meant we were able to re-sign Risto.

Imagine Benning going so bold to acquire Risto and sign Pietrangelo if we got a couple buy outs and was able to move out some cap. Might have 13-15 million tied up between the two but our top 4 would be incredible for a couple seasons till we'd have to re-sign Risto. Might have to give up Boeser for Risto too.

Edited by Junkyard Dog