The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Well his decision was to play in the NHL. And I think you are right about Benning conducting contract negotiations with Tryamkin in somewhat disrespectful way.

Nikita came to Vancouver in 2020 ready to play for Canucks. Benning asked him to wait for contract negotiations because Jim needed to figure out salary cap issue. Nikita waited until mid July when he was told that the club did not have money to sign him. But Benning promised to allocate money for Tryamkin for next year. Nikita agreed and signed 1-year contract with Avto for about 440K USD - small salary because Avto already signed several expensive players, not expecting Tryamkin to come back.

Next year 2021 Nikita came to Vancouver and Benning did not have enough money for him again. This was reported that Tryamkin's agent asked for 1.8M and Jim offered 1.4M. This was reported that Benning told Nikita that if Tryamkin wanted more money, he should wait until Benning signs all other contracts (including Pettersson and Hughes) and possibly Jim would have more money for Nikita. Considering what had happened in 2020, Tryamkin did not want to wait for 2 months again with unclear result and signed 2-year contract with Avto. After the current contract expires, Tryamkin as UFA may sign NHL contract with any club - don't think this would be Canucks.

Edit: I was wrong with 2-month waiting period. Benning signed Pettersson and Hughes in October with  no money left so Tryamkin would actually wait for 4 months LOL

Very upsetting to read this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Well his decision was to play in the NHL. And I think you are right about Benning conducting contract negotiations with Tryamkin in somewhat disrespectful way.

Nikita came to Vancouver in 2020 ready to play for Canucks. Benning asked him to wait for contract negotiations because Jim needed to figure out salary cap issue. Nikita waited until mid July when he was told that the club did not have money to sign him. But Benning promised to allocate money for Tryamkin for next year. Nikita agreed and signed 1-year contract with Avto for about 440K USD - small salary because Avto already signed several expensive players, not expecting Tryamkin to come back.

Next year 2021 Nikita came to Vancouver and Benning did not have enough money for him again. This was reported that Tryamkin's agent asked for 1.8M and Jim offered 1.4M. This was reported that Benning told Nikita that if Tryamkin wanted more money, he should wait until Benning signs all other contracts (including Pettersson and Hughes) and possibly Jim would have more money for Nikita. Considering what had happened in 2020, Tryamkin did not want to wait for 2 months again with unclear result and signed 2-year contract with Avto. After the current contract expires, Tryamkin as UFA may sign NHL contract with any club - don't think this would be Canucks.

Edit: I was wrong with 2-month waiting period. Benning signed Pettersson and Hughes in October with  no money left so Tryamkin would actually wait for 4 months LOL

This is absolutely the best recap, I have read, and somewhat like Jimmy, it just pi$$es me off!

It just confirms what I was saying all along. It is ironic that some CDCer's could not get this and blamed Nikita.

IMO, he was treated unfairly, pretty much from the start.......and yes he could have came to camp in better shape.

But his play from mid-season of his first year on, kept getting better, and better

And now we struggle with not having any decent  RHD................it makes you wonder!!!!

But again, it is what I had said all along!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Right. And I edited my initial post - Pettersson and Hughes were signed in October so Nikita was asked by Benning to actually waste 4 months from May to October, with no money left in salary cap for Canucks.

Well if true this would go down as the second biggest of Benning's too frequent inexplicable blunders.

8 hours ago, Gatzkek said:

Well if true this would go down as the second biggest of Benning's too frequent inexplicable blunders.

We don't know the inside story and probably never will hear Benning's true thoughts. To me it smacks of Benning having to much on his table and not being able to handle it. Tryamkin at $1.4 Mil should have been a no brainer. My only curiosity is why Tryamkin's side of the story didn't come out at the time he last re-signed in the KHL. He was labelled as someone who played Vancouver off against a better deal in Russia and than he never really wanted a NHL career. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We don't know the inside story and probably never will hear Benning's true thoughts. To me it smacks of Benning having to much on his table and not being able to handle it. Tryamkin at $1.4 Mil should have been a no brainer. My only curiosity is why Tryamkin's side of the story didn't come out at the time he last re-signed in the KHL. He was labelled as someone who played Vancouver off against a better deal in Russia and than he never really wanted a NHL career. 

For me when we lost Tryamkin it was a huge disappointment. I felt that in the end he just never wanted to play here. If JB had any chance of signing him I didn't consider that he would let him go. For me he had top pairing potential.

I think the covid thing scared him a bit too. But I think by the end of his Auto contract he could be interested in coming back to a good team. I believe he is interested in NHL success. His team is currently 5th in the division and 14-19. I believe he is more competitive than that. He wants to win. And the way he stood up for our players before makes me think he'd come back here. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning waited too long in firing Willie.

Sometimes I think this franchise has historically had a “Google eyed” approach to its players, and hanging on to players and personnel far to long..

the competition in the east , in my opinion, is fierce, and the teams evolve to keep a high level, rather than patronize it’s fans with favourites.

I think we’ve become complacent as fans only recognizing that Edmonton.. Calgary.. LA,  and so on, are our direct competition to win a cup.  When in fact, they are only half the journey.

Fan Favourites here last longer than they should, usually bringing little assets immediately to run with to further this team,

or perch us for a future in 2 years with a blue chip pick.

I do beleive Benning was establishing a format before he left,.  I’m sure, almost absolutely, that it will continue through with Rutherford.

If there were mistakes made that can be corrected,  the Tryamkin story is one of those.

I hope Rutherford and Clancy get a good grasp of this player and talk with him while we still have him on paper.

His Buy out of his KHL contract would be roughly 700k usd or less.  
Im sure it could be added as a signing bonus for a year on a 2-3 year term.

He needs to be making more than he would at home after cost of living is taken into account.

presently in the 1.2m usd range in the KHL

I think a 2.5 - 3 m usd contract for 2 years would set him up perfectly to be happy and make that transition.

Id hate to see him on another club in the NHL.… but I’d still be a fan of the player, he was right to do what he did.

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin was definitely worth more than Huttons 2.8M

I think he would take a 3-4M 2 year bridge next year. 

Not sure I agree. I think he's a 5/6 guy and probably worth no more than $1.5M until he proves himself in the NHL.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure I agree. I think he's a 5/6 guy and probably worth no more than $1.5M until he proves himself in the NHL.

I agree, but it would probably take more, closer to 2 mil to get him to consider leaving home to come here.  Especially if in fact he was screwed around by Benning last two offseasons.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I agree, but it would probably take more, closer to 2 mil to get him to consider leaving home to come here.  Especially if in fact he was screwed around by Benning last two offseasons.

I think that amount would have worked if we still had his rights. 

Here are what the teams are paying their #5 Dman - 3rd pairing according to NHL Armchair GM

Anahiem....................Shattenkirk.....................$3,900,000

Arizona......................Capbianco.........................$775,000

Boston.......................Forbort............................$3,000,000

Buffalo.......................Jokiharju.........................$2,500,000

Calgary......................Gudbranson....................$1,950,000

Carolina.....................Cole................................$2,900,000

Chicago.....................Stillman...........................$1,350,000

Colorado....................McDermid..........................$875,000

Columbus..................Peeke.................................$787,500

Dallas........................Sekera.............................$1,500,000

Detroit........................Oesterle..........................$1,350,000

Edmonton..................Bouchard...........................$863,333

Florida........................Montour..........................$3,500,000

LA...............................Anderson..........................$925,000

Minnesota...................Kulikov...........................$2,250,000

Montreal......................Kulak...............................1,850,000

Nashville.....................Borowieki.......................$2,000,000

NJ Devils....................Siegenthaler...................$1,125,000

NY Islanders...............Dobson.............................$894,000

NY Rangers................Nemeth..........................$2,500,000

Ottawa........................Holden............................$1,700,000

Phili.............................Baun...............................$1,800,000

Pittburgh.....................Pettersson.......................$4,025,175

San Jose.....................Simek.............................$2,250,000

Seattle.........................Soucy.............................$2,750,000

ST Louis......................Bourtuzo........................$1,375,000

Tampa..........................Ruutu.............................$1,300,000

Toronto.........................Holl................................$2,000,000

Vancouver....................Poolman.........................$2,500,000

Vegas...........................Hague...............................$791,000

Washington..................Schultz..........................$.4,000,000

Winnipeg......................Demelo..........................$3,000,000

Average $1,875,000

Note.................there was some artistic discretion, but if you look at the names, they kinda fit.

There are 15 players with a Cap of $2,000,000 +

There are 11 players with a Cap of $2,500,000 +

There are  6 players with a Cap of $3,000,000 +

So, the question is, how much do you pay a 27 year old veteran Russian?  What would he come for?

@Stierlitz do you remember what that 2 year contract was? I remember $2 million per? Not sure!

Here are my thought about Tryamkin at this point. IF Tryamkin is not a 3/4 at this point in his career, then I think we pass on him, no matter what. I mean, if JR thinks that is all he is, what is the point. If how ever JR think he is, has to be offered at least a 3 year X $2,500,000, and I am not sure that gets him signing here, wwhen he can be a UFA, and have a better chance of 3/4 money, which IMO, is north of $3,000,000 per

Take a look at the guys making over $3,000,000.................nothing screams standout, or dominate Dman. Which is why Poolman got $2,500,000

Tryamkin at 3 years X $3,250,000 gets him to sign. 

My bet he comes over at some time! I am not sure why he would want to come to Vancouver!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin was definitely worth more than Huttons 2.8M

I think he would take a 3-4M 2 year bridge next year. 

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

5 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Hairy.  I too find it hard to beleive that we signed Hutton at 2.8 over Tryamkin .

Thats a signing that should have happened before his first full season was finished as an extension.

Tryamkins potential, and how he was becoming fearless with Canucks should have had Benning walking into the dressing room with a rubber stamp after this game.

If this franchise has learned anything they should be focusing on an extension with Podz

before he gets to RFA.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hairy.  I too find it hard to beleive that we signed Hutton at 2.8 over Tryamkin .

Thats a signing that should have happened before his first full season was finished as an extension.

Tryamkins potential, and how he was becoming fearless with Canucks should have had Benning walking into the dressing room with a rubber stamp after this game.

If this franchise has learned anything they should be focusing on an extension with Podz

before he gets to RFA.

I think we won't likely suffer the same problems with Podz, and not because of a different GM, but I think for two main reasons: Podkolzin has a higher NHL ceiling than Tryamkin, I think; and I also believe that he has much more of a desire to play in Vancouver than Tryamkin did.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here are what the teams are paying their #5 Dman - 3rd pairing according to NHL Armchair GM

So, the question is, how much do you pay a 27 year old veteran Russian?  What would he come for?

@Stierlitz do you remember what that 2 year contract was? I remember $2 million per? Not sure!

The only contract Tryamkin had with Canucks was ELC so that was obviously below 1M per year. After that, Benning offered him 2-year contract extension for 2M annually, that Tryamkin did not take and go to Russia for family and personal reasons. Money was not the reason for him to return to Yekaterinburg.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2