The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

6 minutes ago, smokes said:

Tryamkin at 6'7 lining up next to Hughes at 5'10 reminds me of that Danny Devito movie with Arnold. The older fans will know what I'm talking about.

Twins. Good call. I had a huge crush on Kelly Preston from that movie. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Twins. Good call. I had a huge crush on Kelly Preston from that movie. 

I didn't want to actually come out and say that word cause you know...training camp just started and that word brings tears to my eyes.:(

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't "hate" him at all - he was an intriguing prospect with a bit of an attitude and family happiness issue that he decided to address by bolting to Russia.   He had oodles of raw potential but needed a lot of coaching and better overall commitment to the game.   He did a good job of getting into shape so there was potential for him to "listen" but by leaving the NHL right at the wrong time for his development, he is less and less likely to be able to make the leap again the longer he stays away.

10 hours ago, Provost said:

I think the infatuation with Tryamkin (which I share), is that he has a really high ceiling... not that he is particularly "elite" right now or when he played with us.

He skates really well for his size; he destroys guys physically even just accidentally; he showed pretty stellar hands and passing quite a few times.

If he developed he could still turn into pretty much any type of D.  If he brought the mean streak regularly, there isn't a forward in the league that would enter our zone without worrying about just surviving, and that means they more often just dump the puck in rather than making fancy plays.  If he was deployed as a net front on the PP, he would be immovable and could score quite a few points.

Aside from Hughes, we don't have any D that have that kind of ceiling.  Juolevi doesn't, but he probably has a higher floor and is a safer bet...if he became a Lumme level, 35-45 point guy who isn't a liability in his own zone, we should all be jumping for joy.  Stecher is basically the player he is, he may get a little better at being who he is, but there is nothing to suggest he will suddenly become a huge offensive threat (and he doesn't have the frame to be a physical threat).

I agree with these 2 posts.....

I think it is imperative to get him over as soon as possible, and I do think he had the potential to become a very good defenseman...…..

In saying that, I think the Canucks have to try buying Tryamkin's contract this year....notably before the Trade Deadline if possible, which would give us a huge advantage going into the TDL knowing we have him back and we can move a RHD if the opportunity is right. If not then, at the end of the season, or as soon as possible for sure.

I also think that Tryamkin's contract with the Canuck's should be structured with a base salary and a lot of bonus clauses......This should  relax a lot of Rob Zepps concerns.

I also think this addresses what Provost feels is Tryamkin's floor and ceiling...……..

I think it should be a 3 year deal, with the following...………….

1. Base salary...……….3 year …...$2.5 million per

2. Games played bonus clause in 1st and 2nd year.....72 games,  (excluding injury)……..1 Million per year

3. Points bonus of $500,000 over 20 points, 1 Million over 30 points

4. Hits bonus of $500,000 for leader in hits by a Damn (Total) or 1 million for leading the team in hits.

5. $500,000 for being over +10, or $1 million for being + 20 ( on an prorated scale between +10 and +20 )

5. A 10 game conditioning stint in AHL if needed

6. no no-trade clause

Now, I do not know, if a contract can be structured this way, but here is my reason for wanting it this way...……...

1. It is cheap enough to bury if he doesn't turn out

2. It is cheap and short enough to buy out if he doesn't work out

3. The minimum salary is $2.5 if he plays, but can't break into be a top 6

4. The maximum he can make is $6.5 Million if he reaches all bonus's (I think Dmen that reach all those plateau's get paid that)

5. He is still a RFA when the contract is over

6. He is Tradeable

7. The contract is structured in a way that he is the master of his own making, and he will dictate how much he makes

It is an incentive based contract...……...

This also gives Management, the power to control Tryamkin and if he reaches all his targets...…….

Because simply....if he isn't good enough...he doesn't play (Integrity needs to be applied on both sides)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree with these 2 posts.....

I think it is imperative to get him over as soon as possible, and I do think he had the potential to become a very good defenseman...…..

In saying that, I think the Canucks have to try buying Tryamkin's contract this year....notably before the Trade Deadline if possible, which would give us a huge advantage going into the TDL knowing we have him back and we can move a RHD if the opportunity is right. If not then, at the end of the season, or as soon as possible for sure.

I also think that Tryamkin's contract with the Canuck's should be structured with a base salary and a lot of bonus clauses......This should  relax a lot of Rob Zepps concerns.

I also think this addresses what Provost feels is Tryamkin's floor and ceiling...……..

I think it should be a 3 year deal, with the following...………….

1. Base salary...……….3 year …...$2.5 million per

2. Games played bonus clause in 1st and 2nd year.....72 games,  (excluding injury)……..1 Million per year

3. Points bonus of $500,000 over 20 points, 1 Million over 30 points

4. Hits bonus of $500,000 for leader in hits by a Damn (Total) or 1 million for leading the team in hits.

5. $500,000 for being over +10, or $1 million for being + 20 ( on an prorated scale between +10 and +20 )

5. A 10 game conditioning stint in AHL if needed

6. no no-trade clause

Now, I do not know, if a contract can be structured this way, but here is my reason for wanting it this way...……...

1. It is cheap enough to bury if he doesn't turn out

2. It is cheap and short enough to buy out if he doesn't work out

3. The minimum salary is $2.5 if he plays, but can't break into be a top 6

4. The maximum he can make is $6.5 Million if he reaches all bonus's (I think Dmen that reach all those plateau's get paid that)

5. He is still a RFA when the contract is over

6. He is Tradeable

7. The contract is structured in a way that he is the master of his own making, and he will dictate how much he makes

It is an incentive based contract...……...

This also gives Management, the power to control Tryamkin and if he reaches all his targets...…….

Because simply....if he isn't good enough...he doesn't play (Integrity needs to be applied on both sides)

You can't just write up contracts with bonuses to my recollection. I'm sure somebody will give a more thorough answer but if I remember right bonuses are exclusive to ELC and 35+

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

You can't just write up contracts with bonuses to my recollection. I'm sure somebody will give a more thorough answer but if I remember right bonuses are exclusive to ELC and 35+

Yep, this.

Only ELC and over 35.

It shouldn’t be too big of a problem to well Best his KHL salary though.  A $3-3.5 million three year salary isn’t going to bankrupt the team, it is what we are paying 3rd pairing guys. 

He jas has always said he would honour his contracts though, so unless there is a specific out clause for the KHL we probably don’t get him early. 

Has there been any more detail on why he hasn't been playing regularly? He was absent from the game on Thursday, but played on Tuesday. He's played 4 out of the 6 games for Avtomobilist so far with one assist and no word on why he was scratched for two (not consecutive) games. 

8 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Yep...I did not know that.....just read page 247 of the NHL CBA......you are right sir

So.....plz Stand up and take a bow!...……...seriously, I just learned something...……...

Too bad though...…...it was a great idea!

48 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Has there been any more detail on why he hasn't been playing regularly? He was absent from the game on Thursday, but played on Tuesday. He's played 4 out of the 6 games for Avtomobilist so far with one assist and no word on why he was scratched for two (not consecutive) games. 

Hmmmm?

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep, this.

Only ELC and over 35.

It shouldn’t be too big of a problem to well Best his KHL salary though.  A $3-3.5 million three year salary isn’t going to bankrupt the team, it is what we are paying 3rd pairing guys. 

He jas has always said he would honour his contracts though, so unless there is a specific out clause for the KHL we probably don’t get him early. 

So, after failing miserably at the CBA....I will just ask a question

Is  it against the law/CBA to negotiate with both his KHL club and his agent, to get him over here early...in essence...ask his club if it is ok to ask him to come over early

If he agrees, and has his clubs permission, and the Canucks pay his club a transfer fee, then negotiates with Tryamkin for his contract...………..

say 3.75 M per for 2 years, which is just $250,000 over the club average for a top 6 to Guddy's 4 Million. Because it is only a 2 year contract....I would be ok with paying him that much to get him back on track...….really only a 1 year risk...but I would still insist having a 10 game conditioning clause, even on a 1 way. It is a risk on both parts, but Tryamkin does know what is expected this time. 

If he shows up in terrible shape and  not any good...…..you can always cut him for breach of contract......aka not in shape.....yes there is risk

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Hmmm...maybe he was whining too much about his ice time? :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, after failing miserably at the CBA....I will just ask a question

Is  it against the law/CBA to negotiate with both his KHL club and his agent, to get him over here early...in essence...ask his club if it is ok to ask him to come over early

If he agrees, and has his clubs permission, and the Canucks pay his club a transfer fee, then negotiates with Tryamkin for his contract...………..

say 3.75 M per for 2 years, which is just $250,000 over the club average for a top 6 to Guddy's 4 Million. Because it is only a 2 year contract....I would be ok with paying him that much to get him back on track...….really only a 1 year risk...but I would still insist having a 10 game conditioning clause, even on a 1 way. It is a risk on both parts, but Tryamkin does know what is expected this time. 

If he shows up in terrible shape and  not any good...…..you can always cut him for breach of contract......aka not in shape.....yes there is risk

From what I heard from other posters on here, Tryamkin has to pay for his termination of his contract himself first (75% of his contract I believe) and Canucks can only negotiate after he buys himself out. I'm purely speculating here but I think he'd have to pay about 1 million per season. (the KHL doesn't pay like here) I'm hoping he finishes this season there and buys out his next season then can be here for next years camp.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

From what I heard from other posters on here, Tryamkin has to pay for his termination of his contract himself first (75% of his contract I believe) and Canucks can only negotiate after he buys himself out. I'm purely speculating here but I think he'd have to pay about 1 million per season. (the KHL doesn't pay like here) I'm hoping he finishes this season there and buys out his next season then can be here for next years camp.

Thanks Hairy

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

2/3 of the contract is the the figure I've seen reported.

This would be the standard buyout amount and, as you note, it must be paid by the player.

The KHL club and player can also agree on mutual termination, but this would generally only happen when the club is motivated to end the contract (ie: they don't want the player on the team), which wouldn't be the case with Tryamkin.

I believe there's also an option to have a specific buyout clause written into KHL deals, as part of contract negotiations, reducing the 2/3 amount to an agreed upon lesser percentage, or even a straight "out clause" where the player can just terminate his KHL deal if he's given an NHL offer. 

But from everything I've seen re: Tryamkin, he has a standard KHL contract and would need to pay the full 2/3 to get out of his current deal.

And based on that recent list of leaked KHL salaries, it's quite likely Tryamkin's KHL salary is only six figures (when converted to USD). Anything over roughly $1 million (USD) a season would be among the top-30 highest salaries in the KHL, and I doubt Tryamkin commanded that kind of money when he signed his current KHL deal (although he might be considered a top-30 player in that league today).

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Yep, this.

Only ELC and over 35.

How is he getting anything near that after one season when as I showed he was probably our 4th 5th best defender. Some people need a reality check.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How is he getting anything near that after one season when as I showed he was probably our 4th 5th best defender. Some people need a reality check.

... because the is what #4 defencemen make nowadays?  There are many #5/6 guys making more than that. You are paying a little more for shorter term.

That is far less in terms of salary cap than the deal we signed Sbisa to and he had never had a plus season in his entire career.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Slegr said:

Not a clue but I should know more by end of this week as I am meeting up with someone who covers that league intensively.   I do know he has struggled this year stats wise (underlying stats) and for whatever the reason has been down their depth chart.   Something is up.    Perhaps his wife smelled weed in their building?  (that was a joke before the rest of the Tryamkin fan club start a bunfight).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2