The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Chara is an elite D man, and has been for a decade or more.  Tryamkin has far better skills than Chara.  

Tryamkin played well at times..Remember he was only 21 and had lots of off ice issue with wife away from family and in a new country..People change and he would be a great addition to this team in a few years.

Big 6'7, 255lbs, good skater for his size...Iwould be excited to see the big Russian back..

• Upvote 1

I remembered his last season here and there was maybe like 5-7 games where he LOOKED liked a Norris calibre defenseman (most notably that one game against the Preds) Nikita was just crushing guys left and right, and showing off his skating ability. Its scary if he ever puts it all together but that remains to be seen if he does. Hes a game changer when hes on his A game. I saw some Islanders games when Chara was still there, I know its a different era but Tryamkin was much much much better at the same age. Chara was just big and plodding, you would've NEVER known that same Chara would be a future Norris trophy winner and probably a HOFer

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Chara is an elite D man, and has been for a decade or more.  Tryamkin has far better skills than Chara.  

Whether Tryamkin has far better skills than Chara is questionable but let's say that is the case... Chara is one of the best conditioned hockey player whereas Tryamkin is at an average level in terms of conditioning. Chara's skillset combined with his elite conditioning makes him an elite player. Skill alone is not enough in the NHL.

I want Tryamkin back so bad but for Tryamkin to reach Chara's level, it will come down to how he can improve his conditioning.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Whether Tryamkin has far better skills than Chara is questionable but let's say that is the case... Chara is one of the best conditioned hockey player whereas Tryamkin is at an average level in terms of conditioning. Chara's skillset combined with his elite conditioning makes him an elite player. Skill alone is not enough in the NHL.

I want Tryamkin back so bad but for Tryamkin to reach Chara's level, it will come down to how he can improve his conditioning.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, khay said:

Chara played a season of WHL hockey. Enough said.

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The legend of Tryamkin grows.   Now he is better than Chara.  Wow.

Kind of what I was thinking.... On one hand we have a future hall of famer work horse with incredible leadership skills and on the other we have a guy who played a single season and left. 

I don't hate Tryamkin but come on... This isn't even close. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Kind of what I was thinking.... On one hand we have a future hall of famer work horse with incredible leadership skills and on the other we have a guy who played a single season and left. 

I don't hate Tryamkin but come on... This isn't even close. 

I don't "hate" him at all - he was an intriguing prospect with a bit of an attitude and family happiness issue that he decided to address by bolting to Russia.   He had oodles of raw potential but needed a lot of coaching and better overall commitment to the game.   He did a good job of getting into shape so there was potential for him to "listen" but by leaving the NHL right at the wrong time for his development, he is less and less likely to be able to make the leap again the longer he stays away.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I think the infatuation with Tryamkin (which I share), is that he has a really high ceiling... not that he is particularly "elite" right now or when he played with us.

He skates really well for his size; he destroys guys physically even just accidentally; he showed pretty stellar hands and passing quite a few times.

If he developed he could still turn into pretty much any type of D.  If he brought the mean streak regularly, there isn't a forward in the league that would enter our zone without worrying about just surviving, and that means they more often just dump the puck in rather than making fancy plays.  If he was deployed as a net front on the PP, he would be immovable and could score quite a few points.

Aside from Hughes, we don't have any D that have that kind of ceiling.  Juolevi doesn't, but he probably has a higher floor and is a safer bet...if he became a Lumme level, 35-45 point guy who isn't a liability in his own zone, we should all be jumping for joy.  Stecher is basically the player he is, he may get a little better at being who he is, but there is nothing to suggest he will suddenly become a huge offensive threat (and he doesn't have the frame to be a physical threat).

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Hutton had better surprise or he will be out of a job , and as far as Trayamkin  If he plays in the NHL he will not play for Vancouver.

Totally agree.  Tryamkin plays for Washington or TBay.  We will trade his rights for a guy like Madison Bowie.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Tryamkin plays for Washington or TBay.  We will trade his rights for a guy like Madison Bowie.  

Because they're just going to give us a player of Bowie's caliber for the rights to a player who went back to Russia after just one year in the NHL?

14 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Because they're just going to give us a player of Bowie's caliber for the rights to a player who went back to Russia after just one year in the NHL?

Of course they will.  There is a definite Russian connection in those two cities.