The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

17 hours ago, Slegr said:

I've been wondering the same thing, as I feel we might just make it in next season. If he can play for us next post-season, does it impact his status with the expansion draft?

I imagine Russia is considered a pro league but I have 0 clue whether or not he'd be exempt. Honestly I think we are losing a goalie anyway so it won't matter if we have to expose Stecher or Hutton on defense in order to protect Tryamkin, assuming he is even worth protecting. Either way that's a problem for tomorrow, if he can play in February you let him play in February. Expansion draft exemption be damned.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet he was an all-star and as recently as a season ago named the KHL's best Dman.   

Yeah that's what I was watching for but didn't see it. Tryamkin outplayed him in the playoffs head to head. 

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah that's what I was watching for but didn't see it. Tryamkin outplayed him in the playoffs head to head. 

On that, we fully agree.   My personal observations is the big guy has NOT improved at all though while in KHL and that is a concern I would have if I was part of the Canuck management team.

6 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

That's like saying most shark attacks happen in shallow waters. It's typically where the people are...

And 

speed was a factor in the crash...... I've never seen two stationary objects collide.

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2019 at 2:35 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Yet he was an all-star and as recently as a season ago named the KHL's best Dman.   

That speaks volumes about the KHL. Larsen is absolute trash. I bet you Reid Boucher would be a top 20 scorer in the KHL.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

That speaks volumes about the KHL. Larsen is absolute trash. I bet you Reid Boucher would be a top 20 scorer in the KHL.

Nigel Dawes is the leagues 2nd best in points and 1st in goals.  KHL has really lost it's status over the years..

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

^ so what you are telling me is in order to become a NHL star you need to average 2 PPG in the AHL. The great CDC meme may actually be true :bigblush:

:lol: 

I know you’re kidding, but in a way, it’s kind of true.

I think had Pettersson played in the AHL this past season, in a first line role and with talented wingers (like with a Boeser quality guy on one side), he’d probably have torn that league up and might very well have flirted with something close to 2 points per game.

Or if you took Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen, and plunked their line into the AHL for 2018-19, they’d have eaten that league alive and likely scored over 2 points per game each.

That doesn’t mean a prospect or developing player needs to score 2 points per game in the AHL to have any hope of ever becoming an NHL star. But I would expect many of the elite NHL players of today would be able to score 2 points per game against AHL level competition.

I mean, league equivalencies (like NHLe) are simply the average of what all the players who moved between leagues produced, from one season to the next. Individual results will vary, especially when players take on different roles and levels of opportunity. But the numbers are the numbers, and they’re based on what actually happens when players move between these leagues.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

:lol: 

I know you’re kidding, but in a way, it’s kind of true.

I think had Pettersson played in the AHL this past season, in a first line role and with talented wingers (like with a Boeser quality guy on one side), he’d probably have torn that league up and might very well have flirted with something close to 2 points per game.

Or if you took Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen, and plunked their line into the AHL for 2018-19, they’d have eaten that league alive and likely scored over 2 points per game each.

That doesn’t mean a prospect or developing player needs to score 2 points per game in the AHL to have any hope of ever becoming an NHL star. But I would expect many of the elite NHL players of today would be able to score 2 points per game against AHL level competition.

I mean, league equivalencies (like NHLe) are simply the average of what all the players who moved between leagues produced, from one season to the next. Individual results will vary, especially when players take on different roles and levels of opportunity. But the numbers are the numbers, and they’re based on what actually happens when players move between these leagues.

Honestly, I really like your post cause it just goes to show that the demand for players to be in the AHL is a bit overstated. It's nice to have for sure, but other leagues are either on par or ahead of AHL in terms of competition and development. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Honestly, I really like your post cause it just goes to show that the demand for players to be in the AHL is a bit overstated. It's nice to have for sure, but other leagues are either on par or ahead of AHL in terms of competition and development. 

Yes but you can't discount the value of experience on North American ice. Some players games just aren't suited for the smaller ice surface. Obviously this isn't always the case, but I would say that success in the AHL suggests that their game would translate better than if a player had success playing overseas on a larger ice surface. 

22 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Yes but you can't discount the value of experience on North American ice. Some players games just aren't suited for the smaller ice surface. Obviously this isn't always the case, but I would say that success in the AHL suggests that their game would translate better than if a player had success playing overseas on a larger ice surface. 

I don't think it's ice size that is causing fits for Euro and Russian players. It's the 82 game schedule and the level of competition in the NHL that causes problems. Success in the AHL doesn't mean you're better suited to handle the NHL either. Goldy was very good in the A. Hasn't done anything for him at the NHL level. Petey, Aho, Heiskanen, Rantanen all found success in the NHL without AHL experience. If the talent and work ethic is there, any learning curves can be done in the NHL. They practice all summer on smaller ice, they do weeks of preseason on smaller ice, and all their practices during the season are on smaller ice. The transition isn't so difficult that they NEED AHL time or anything or that the benefit is that much greater. Juolevi left North America to get better experience in Liiga, and if not for his season ending injury I would argue he'd have graduated to the NHL without a full AHL season. I dunno, I just don't see the AHL as a must for prospects or even super beneficial to have. Talent and hard work finds a way to succeed in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, N7Nucks said:

I don't think it's ice size that is causing fits for Euro and Russian players. It's the 82 game schedule and the level of competition in the NHL that causes problems. Success in the AHL doesn't mean you're better suited to handle the NHL either. Goldy was very good in the A. Hasn't done anything for him at the NHL level. Petey, Aho, Heiskanen, Rantanen all found success in the NHL without AHL experience. If the talent and work ethic is there, any learning curves can be done in the NHL. They practice all summer on smaller ice, they do weeks of preseason on smaller ice, and all their practices during the season are on smaller ice. The transition isn't so difficult that they NEED AHL time or anything or that the benefit is that much greater. Juolevi left North America to get better experience in Liiga, and if not for his season ending injury I would argue he'd have graduated to the NHL without a full AHL season. I dunno, I just don't see the AHL as a must for prospects or even super beneficial to have. Talent and hard work finds a way to succeed in the NHL.

I agree, I think it's pretty obvious that AHL experience isn't a must. All I'm saying is it's a different type of game league vs league and when it comes to prospects, we can't discount the value of NA pro experience. Those elite European players you named have made the transition somewhat seamlessly, but they're the exception, not the rule.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, N7Nucks said:

Every player is different. Each player has parts of their game they need to work on to make it to the nhl unless they are just “that much better”. Whether that be time to get physically bigger (OJ) and adjust to the speed and physicality or to learn to process the game faster  (JV, AG) each league can offer different benefits and weaknesses. It’s up to coaches and player development teams to sort out where a player will take the next step developmentally. The AHL is a good league for players to learn NHL systems but it’s also not the most effective for highly skilled players. There’s a lot of “journeymen” who don’t have high end skill / process the game well on many teams. This ends up limiting the offensive development of players imho. Personally, I think the European leagues are better at developing offense, while the AHL is better at developing two way players, goalies and defensive dmen. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree, I think it's pretty obvious that AHL experience isn't a must. All I'm saying is it's a different type of game league vs league and when it comes to prospects, we can't discount the value of NA pro experience. Those elite European players you named have made the transition somewhat seamlessly, but they're the exception, not the rule.

It's true, I did name some elite players. But with that said Aho was also drafted outta the second round. He was not considered elite when he was drafted. Same with Tryamkin. Even some less talented at their draft players can develop just about anywhere. It really depends on the player and what they need to work on. I won't discount NA pro experience, I just don't hold it in as high regard as others. We can't discount the leagues Euros and Russians are playing in either.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:55 AM, VIC_CITY said:

But Reid B can’t skate so on the big ice he’d be -30 but with 20 powerplay goals.

20 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Watching more of the finals, and pretty sure none of our defensemen would survive based on what they're letting go, but Tryamkin would thrive.

I'm losing faith he's going to come back