The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 5/19/2019 at 11:41 AM, Stierlitz said:

What is interesting, I could not find any Tryamkin's interview in the Russian media since the Avto team lost in playoffs. Usually he is quite open to talk to journalists...

Plus not being on the world's too. Interesting time to go stealth mode, especially last year of his contract. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Plus not being on the world's too. Interesting time to go stealth mode, especially last year of his contract. 

He’s coming back this summer!  Yippee!  Benning said he needed to fix our D.  Big Nikita would be a great start. :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, they don’t have a transfer agreement for hockey players, but I think they might have one involving the animal carcasses. ;) 

to keep Jobu happy?

Image result for jobu

Because the KHL season runs shorter than the NHL – the last day of the regular season was on February 22 this year – Tryamkin could conceivably join the Canucks at the tail end of next season.

please say he would be eligible for the playoffs? :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Because the KHL season runs shorter than the NHL – the last day of the regular season was on February 22 this year – Tryamkin could conceivably join the Canucks at the tail end of next season.

please say he would be eligible for the playoffs? :)

I've been wondering the same thing, as I feel we might just make it in next season. If he can play for us next post-season, does it impact his status with the expansion draft?

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I've been wondering the same thing, as I feel we might just make it in next season. If he can play for us next post-season, does it impact his status with the expansion draft?

Good point about the expansion draft. If that's the case I think we'll be fine without him till next year? But what if we're doing good and hope for a playoff run of some kind?...if he does play at the end of next season the league will have to be notified by December I believe. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

The Canucks signed Drew Shore when his season ended in Europe in March 2017.  He had to clear waivers first before he could join them.  Would this not be the case for Tryamkin too, if he joined the Canucks after his 2020 KHL ended?  If so, there wouldn't be much hope of having him clear!

So long as the Canucks hold rights on Tryamkin, he does not need to clear waivers to return to the team, if signed mid season (or at any point in the year).

Here’s the relevant section from the CBA:

“13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.”

EDIT: If a team that did not hold rights attempted to sign a player, during the same season he’d played games in a league outside NA, then section 13.23 of the CBA applies, and that player would need to first clear waivers, before joining the NHL team for that season. This is why Drew Shore required waivers, and also why ROR would have needed to clear waivers to join Calgary (after the offer sheet fiasco). However, as shown in the bolded section above, a team already holding rights (like the Canucks with Tryamkin) is exempted from 13.23 waivers.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So long as the Canucks hold rights on Tryamkin, he does not need to clear waivers to return to the team, if signed mid season (or at any point in the year).

Here’s the relevant section from the CBA:

“13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.”

EDIT: If a team that did not hold rights attempted to sign a player, during the same season he’d played games in a league outside NA, then section 13.23 of the CBA applies, and that player would need to first clear waivers, before joining the NHL team for that season. This is why Drew Shore required waivers, and also why ROR would have needed to clear waivers to join Calgary (after the offer sheet fiasco). However, as shown in the bolded section above, a team already holding rights (like the Canucks with Tryamkin) is exempted from 13.23 waivers.

The question Sid is if we get him to suit up after his season ends there. Does that make him liable to be protected in the exp. draft? 

40 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

I really don't see him coming back, so don't get all your hopes up lol ....i guess one can dream, but not all dreams come true ;) 

Well he can make 5x the money here, that's a big incentive. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well he can make 5x the money here, that's a big incentive. 

He pays no tax in the KHL. There's no language issues. His wife has work. Every time he says he wants to come back to the NHL, he does not say I want to play for Vancouver. 

I think the only person who really knows is Tram. I wouldn't hold out hope. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The question Sid is if we get him to suit up after his season ends there. Does that make him liable to be protected in the exp. draft? 

I think he’s already subject to the expansion draft. Unless the Canucks put Tryamkin on their protected list (which they won’t), he’d be considered an unprotected RFA. Seattle could contact him during the negotiation window, and sign him to a deal as their expansion draft selection. That seems a highly unlikely scenario right now. However, if Tryamkin returns in 2020, and plays well for Vancouver, I could see him becoming a target for selection, assuming he’s left exposed.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, GoldenAlien said:

It's not about whether it's fine if Pouliot burned off a year.  He didn't because no CHL prospect ever gets to play for the purpose of shortening their ELCs.  Not Pouliot, not Reilly, not anyone.  Yet Hughes, Makar, Fabbro, and countless others across the league routinely get this treatment.  How is that fair?  Why can't these college prospects be more blue collar?  Why can't they finish the season in the AHL, prove that they're too good to stay on the farm, and make the team next year like everybody else?  How entitled is Gaudette, strolling in and asking to sign an ELC right away instead of an AHL ATO?  He's a fifth round pick who's projected to be a third liner, he should be grateful the Canucks even want to give him a contract in the first place.  Should the Canucks have said, either you sign with Utica first, or you can go back to college for another year and go to free agency?  We don't want you if you're not willing to be treated like every other CHL draftee.  

Sorry for taking 2 weeks to reply, I just really don't like/dread essay answers. We're both liable on that part, and here comes another essay <_<

For all we know those players may not have asked for it. Or they might have asked for it and the teams simply obliged. But I didn't hear anything about Hughes or Makar or Fabbro demanding that they burn a year off their entry level contract or else they won't sign/report to the team. We KNOW he was adamant about an AHL clause. We KNOW he refused to go to Utica for even a conditioning stint. Not only that he refused to go after showing up to camp out of shape. We KNOW he has been firing insults at the coaching staff and the city from halfway across the globe. We KNOW he took issue with Goldobin's icetime. Not in his job description to comment on other player's ice time. The point is that there are plenty of things that contribute to his off-ice reputation. Not one or two things that I can sweep under the rug. The way you keep going though, I still haven't gotten an answer from you on the main point I was raising, which is regarding his entitlement. I still don't know if you think he has entitlement issues or you're in denial like many others on here.

People act like the NHL is getting faster by the minute.  But most of the turnover in the league is at the bottom -- depth players, bottom six forwards, bottom pairing Ds, etc.  The top players are not getting rotated out year after year.  The league led by Kucherov, McDavid, Crosby, P. Kane, Ovechkin and Stamkos was dominated by the same players two years ago.  Tryamkin could play in the same league as McDavid then, but woah, what if you add Cooper Marody?  Could he handle that?  

Because the bottom 6 and bottom pairing D were typically the slower players. The top-end talent already had skill and speed... That's why teams all of a sudden have gotten so much faster. That's like saying most shark attacks happen in shallow waters. It's typically where the people are...

There aren't hundreds of thousands of people trying to make the NHL every few years.  You can't include every person who played some kind of minor hockey.  As the article you linked said, 223 of the 32,000 Ontario kids who played minor hockey were drafted into the OHL.  Most of the others went on with their lives.  They no longer played hockey with making the NHL in mind.  The biggest reason why most don't make it is because of talent.  I was watching a tournament a while back, for 13 year olds.  At least half the kids didn't play like hockey had positions.  You know, besides being the closest to the puck.  The vast majority of the population simply do not have what it takes to be an NHL player, regardless of their work ethics.  Which is why if you do get a guy with NHL level talent, you should try to work with him and hang onto that.  

You don't think every kid who played organized hockey at some point dreamed about having an NHL career? I played basketball until I was 13 and even though I was 5'1" as a 13 year-old I still dreamed about playing in the NBA. Plenty of reasons why people don't follow through, you say it's talent level, I say it's work ethic. My college roommate played minor hockey with Brendan Gallagher. He said Gallagher's work ethic is why he's playing in the NHL right now. He wasn't the best player on the ice even in the minors, but when his teammates were out partying it up and having fun, he would go home after games and sleep early because he had to work out in the morning. He certainly doesn't have the size to be in the NHL, and he wasn't the best player on his team even in the minors. But he made it because he had one thing on his mind, and he had the work ethic to pursue it. Not to lose you in the anecdotal, but the point of the story is that work ethic gets you mighty close to achieving your dreams, even if it doesn't always work out. But we're getting sidetracked now, feel free to respond but I won't keep going further down this particular rabbit hole.

Tryamkin could barely speak English.  How are you assuming that he must have known that the coaching staff was being scrutinized?  Why are you assuming that Benning would openly tell a player that WD is getting fired before he hands the man the notice?  How is that even remotely appropriate?  Can you imagine if your boss told your subordinates that you're being fired, before they told you? 

Tryamkin clearly said it was both coaching and family.  If other media outlets chose to only take quotes about coaching because it made a better story, that's not on him.  What, you want him to issue a press release?  Call up reporters and tell them their articles didn't quote his whole interview? 

Plenty of sources saying his English was more than good enough he just chose not to speak to the media directly. If he mentioned coaching and deployment issues in his exit meetings, you don't think JB might have hinted that WD is under evaluation? You don't think Tryamkin caught wind of the ubiquitous rumours about WD's future with the team? These guys aren't idiots, they know what's happening around them.

First, you said none of the players I named had anything in common with Tryamkin.  Now, you're saying they're not Tryamkin's twins.  Of course no one would have exactly the same set of issues as Tryamkin.  Tryamkin doesn't have identical issues as other players either.  For example, Tryamkin did not sign another contract in the middle of his current one, sparking an incident between the NHL, the KHL and IIHF.  He was not spotted at a bar at 5 a.m. the day of a playoff game.  He did not get benched for mouthing off to the coach, or get scratched for being late to a skate, at 32 years old.  Oh wait, that's Radulov.  What about posting a homophobic tweet, getting along so poorly with his teammates that they throw his clothes into a shower, not letting the coach know he was outright skipping a game until a hour before puck drop, getting investigated for sexual assault in a hotel, agreeing to a plea after grabbing two women by their necks/ hair in a bar, complaining publicly about his former city, or sued for assault after getting into a fight in the middle of the night?  But hey, E. Kane was only 24 and could grow out of it in a strong locker room with the Sedins!

You take anybody on this planet, list all the flaws they have, and you won't be able to find the exact same combination of flaws in another person.  You won't find the same combination of strengths either.  That's a part of being human. 

What's your point? You don't think Tryamkin has character issues? Are we just going to bury our head in the sand about his entitlement? You still haven't answered that question. I didn't say he was the worst player to don a hockey jersey, but you pretending there are no issues with him is just pure denial. I said I want him to come back as long as he leaves his entitlement back in Russia and comes back here ready to earn his icetime. We're still debating all kinds of things around the point I'm raising - which I'm assuming you don't agree with otherwise we wouldn't still be debating - but what part of my statement don't you agree with? I just want to know so that we can have a more focused argument as opposed to if the number of players who don't make it to the NHL every few years is in the tens or hundreds of thousands... 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He pays no tax in the KHL. There's no language issues. His wife has work. Every time he says he wants to come back to the NHL, he does not say I want to play for Vancouver. 

I think the only person who really knows is Tram. I wouldn't hold out hope. 

I think you're reading into his comments too much..

By the same measure, I could say he only wants to come back to Vancouver due to his Instagram profile picture still showing him in a Canucks jersey

All being said, I don't think even NT knows what he wants at this point

• Upvote 1

For a guy who plays in a league where Sergei Shirokov and Philip Larsen are all-stars (yup, same Philip Larsen you are thinking about), I hope if he comes back he is allowed to develop his NHL game properly (inclusive of AHL time which will likely be necessary) and isn't trying to meet expectations that mirror some on this board that are far in excess of what the poor guy is likely able to do (certainly not out of gate if ever).   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For a guy who plays in a league where Sergei Shirokov and Philip Larsen are all-stars (yup, same Philip Larsen you are thinking about), I hope if he comes back he is allowed to develop his NHL game properly (inclusive of AHL time which will likely be necessary) and isn't trying to meet expectations that mirror some on this board that are far in excess of what the poor guy is likely able to do (certainly not out of gate if ever).   

Philip Larsen was crap, invisible in the KHL playoffs