The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

36 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm losing faith he's going to come back

Putting any faith into him coming back is just a waste. I like to imagine our future without him and if he comes back then it's just a bonus haha.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:11 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

For a guy who plays in a league where Sergei Shirokov and Philip Larsen are all-stars (yup, same Philip Larsen you are thinking about), I hope if he comes back he is allowed to develop his NHL game properly (inclusive of AHL time which will likely be necessary) and isn't trying to meet expectations that mirror some on this board that are far in excess of what the poor guy is likely able to do (certainly not out of gate if ever).   

Those are amazing comparables. I totally equate small speedy players who thrive on larger ice surfaces with behemoths whose game would be best suited to a net clearing scrum.

There's no AHL for this guy. I get that you think that in some way he's pissing on your NHL dream, but he is good enough to play in the NHL. Especially on a Vancouver team, who is looking for physical play from anyone and will likely re-sign Luke Schenn. Who in the league besides Byfuglien can lean on a guy and snap his leg? His physical abilities are good enough, that good coaching will elevate his game.

He will likely be a 6/7 to start and work his way up the lineup. He's by no means a finished product, but he's a free asset that the team needs to try to continue to cultivate

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Those are amazing comparables. I totally equate small speedy players who thrive on larger ice surfaces with behemoths whose game would be best suited to a net clearing scrum.

There's no AHL for this guy. I get that you think that in some way he's pissing on your NHL dream, but he is good enough to play in the NHL. Especially on a Vancouver team, who is looking for physical play from anyone and will likely re-sign Luke Schenn. Who in the league besides Byfuglien can lean on a guy and snap his leg? His physical abilities are good enough, that good coaching will elevate his game.

He will likely be a 6/7 to start and work his way up the lineup. He's by no means a finished product, but he's a free asset that the team needs to try to continue to cultivate

LOL, pissing on my NHL dream? :picard:   The kid has potential but has NOT progressed and remains raw.   IF he wants to come back to North America, it is more than fine for management to give him a contract that is one-way but to guarantee ANY player that there will be no AHL time for conditioning, development or any other reason is not logical unless you are dealing with an obvious star player - this kid is not an obvious star player.   

I have said it before and will say it again, the longer he is away from the NHL the less likely he will be able to return and make it.   I also observe the longer he is away from the NHL the greater his stint becomes in the minds of some to the point he is provided an assured spot that he hasn't begun to start earning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I figure he's back here next spring personally, after his KHL season. Probably a prorated '1 year' contract and then we go from there on extending him, trading him, him going back to the KHL etc after he and we see how he does.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I figure he's back here next spring personally, after his KHL season. Probably a prorated '1 year' contract and then we go from there on extending him, trading him, him going back to the KHL etc after he and we see how he does.

What you are suggesting does make a lot of sense for both parties if he, in fact, does decide to come back and play in the NHL.

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

... and if either, or both, of Tanev or Edler are still on this roster,.  It’s probably easy to say the Canuck IR list will make it possible for Tryamkin to suit up right away after his KHL Season.

It also sounds like Avtomobilist will lose a lot of the players that carried them into the playoffs this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

... and if either, or both, of Tanev or Edler are still on this roster,.  It’s probably easy to say the Canuck IR list will make it possible for Tryamkin to suit up right away after his KHL Season.

It also sounds like Avtomobilist will lose a lot of the players that carried them into the playoffs this season.

I'd wager Tanev is moved (if he's not hurt :rolleyes: ) next TDL if he's not moved this summer (which I'd prefer...before he can get hurt).

But regardless, there will almost certainly be injuries regardless of Edler/Tanev.

• Cheers 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:28 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

The point being made was the Canuck team he was a part of was a lesser team than the current one.   He has likely regressed (what I have seen of his game has not shown he has improved) and so while I get you are very impressed with the guy's size and physical abilities to push people around, if he is not capable of playing defense at actual NHL speed then he could be Thor for all that matters and it wouldn't be that helpful.

If you actually read what I think of the kid instead of cherry picking, I LIKE him as an intriguing talent who has all the tools to be a solid NHL player.   I don't think he had his head on straight last time around INCLUSIVE OF HIS LACK OF WILLINGNESS TO GO TO THE AHL.   

The Canucks only need this player IF he is the version of this player that is willing to do all the things the Canucks need of him and that could well include some time in the AHL.  IT also might not and he could come in and be a top 4 force.   The thing is the Canucks would easily be saddled with a Zaitsev like situation if they don't proceed with caution.    

I get he is a compelling case and I get why some want him in Vancouver so badly.   As a Canuck fan, a Tryamkin that is fit, sufficiently fast and perpetually ticked off any anyone in a different jersey is an absolutely wonderful idea and I would be very happy with that situation - I just think that it is far from a slam dunk and part of the reason I say that is he has had some differential advice and/or not had his head on quite right to be successful in the NHL.   Sure, blame the former Canuck coach - always an easy target - but player accountability is essential if you want to play in the world's best hockey league and to me, this kid simply has a way to go in that department.   Can he get there, I sure hope so but I am not going to say it is for certain and given that I have not seen him progress since he left Vancouver I am even more concerned about that good outcome becoming a reality.

I am pulling for him for sure but trying to be a realist at same time.    If that is "continually making the same point" I guess it is because that is how I feel about this prospect and nothing has changed my mind in that regard.

That AHL thing just isn't going to happen. He may have been better served by going to Utica for a conditioning stint, but he made huge gains in Vancouver and proved that flying across the continent to work out in a different gym, would have been a waste of time. 

If he had a provision in his entry level deal that the AHL was off the table, what would make anyone think that his next deal would be any different?

I'm happy to hear that you're pulling for the guy. From most of what I've read in this thread, I thought you were against his return or had written him off. The potential of this guy is off the charts, but we are all just waiting to see what the next phase of his NHL career will look like.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The potential of this guy is off the charts, but we are all just waiting to see what the next phase of his NHL career will look like.

You think?  Don't get me wrong - I love his size and feel it could really help us - especially in the playoffs.

But with that said, I actually think he had relatively low potential and don't feel he will ever be any better than a 2nd pairing, complimentary guy at best.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I wonder if the smoke around Zaitsev is related to Tryamkin potentially being lured back by the Canucks. Tryamkin and Zaitsev would actually be a good bottom pair having another Russian on the blue line might be attractive to the BFG. That being said, they need to get something else from Toronto if they are going to get Zaitsev as he is overpaid.  

• Upvote 3

With Datsyuk signing with Tryamkin's team, I doubt he's coming back early now that he has a chance to play a season with the legend. So next spring it is!

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

I wonder if the smoke around Zaitsev is related to Tryamkin potentially being lured back by the Canucks. Tryamkin and Zaitsev would actually be a good bottom pair having another Russian on the blue line might be attractive to the BFG. That being said, they need to get something else from Toronto if they are going to get Zaitsev as he is overpaid.  

That would be actually a really good idea.  However, Zaitsev already gets paid like a second pair, and Tryamkin (who I think is worth the second pair dollars) would get the same.  I think they would have to play second pair minutes, including PK and some PP.  

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

With Datsyuk signing with Tryamkin's team, I doubt he's coming back early now that he has a chance to play a season with the legend. So next spring it is!

Avtomobilist will need more than Pavel to help that forward group. They were severely outplayed in the playoffs.

Plus they are going with 8 D men now. Tryamkin and all the Avto D rotate in and out. He might enjoy more ice time here ---and US dollars.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That would be actually a really good idea.  However, Zaitsev already gets paid like a second pair, and Tryamkin (who I think is worth the second pair dollars) would get the same.  I think they would have to play second pair minutes, including PK and some PP.  

When throwing around salaries and term it's imperative you don't look at the team as a here and now plan. In a couple of years if management is not careful just like TO Vcr will have Cap problems. Pettersson and Hughes are going to need huge salaries. So when you're simply talking FA signing IMO it's better to indulge some of the youngsters now and blood them in their role now so we have some less expensive options in the future. We can't keep going season by season

• Upvote 1