The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Fedorov means son of Fedor (like Fedorson). Fedor is Russian version of Theodor with stress on the first syllable...

I've gotten that. Just like -kin means 'little.'

Ovechkin...little goat. 

Edited by theminister

17 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This is interesting topic. Tryamka is originated from ancient Greek first name Trofim ( Trophime in French, Trofimo in Spanish and Italian). In the Middle Age Russia only noble people might have full name and ordinary people carried those "little" additions at the name end. Eventually a son of some Tryamka got surname of Tryamkin and became founder of the Tryamkins family.

Wow, neat.

Can you imagine when the world was so small that a single family moving to a far off land could start a linguistic legacy like that? The world has changed so much.

In Britain too, people didn't have last names either... they were tied to the serfdom of the land they were indebted to. So, in this way, they either had the name of their lord or were given the name of their township. Only later did occupations give people surnames. Again, it was only for nobles to have distinction... the rest of us came and went and it didn't matter. Without record keeping or travel... what was the point? Only travelling merchants had need.

Edit: Apparently Trofim means 'Nutritious.' :lol: I can't argue he's been eating his vitamins!

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, theminister said:

Wow, neat.

Can you imagine when the world was so small that a single family moving to a far off land could start a linguistic legacy like that? The world has changed so much.

In Britain too, people didn't have last names either... they were tied to the serfdom of the land they were indebted to. So, in this way, they either had the name of their lord or were given the name of their township. Only later did occupations give people surnames. Again, it was only for nobles to have distinction... the rest of us came and went and it didn't matter. Without record keeping or travel... what was the point? Only travelling merchants had need.

Edit: Apparently Trofim means 'Nutritious.' :lol: I can't argue he's been eating his vitamins!

Considering Euro languages came from Sanskrit (which is - strangely - similar to Malmacian) it just so happens I am familiar with the origin of the Trumpkin family name.  Yes, you can see the origin in the root - Trump.  Which originally meant "spreader of manure."  Many of these "manure spreaders" grew to enormous stature.  Some physically, and others only in their own minds.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

Really should kill this thread and start a new one once it hits 88 pages. 

Well, considering that some other rookie threads hit three-digit number of pages like Brock Boeser - 157, Jake Virtanen - 697, Brendan Gaunce - 223...

55 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This is interesting topic. Tryamka is originated from ancient Greek first name Trofim ( Trophime in French, Trofimo in Spanish and Italian). In the Middle Age Russia only noble people might have full name and ordinary people carried those "little" additions at the name end. Eventually a son of some Tryamka got surname of Tryamkin and became founder of the Tryamkins family.

Thanks for the info on name pronunciation and meanings. :)

Edited by CeeBee51
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Thanks for the info on name pronunciation and meanings. :)

I just think that this is important to call the player names right way. Interesting fact: original surname of our Burnaby Joe Sakic is Šakić (Croatian origin) and it is pronounced Sha-kich. Fortunately Lucic (Lju-chich) is pronounced correctly so things change... BTW Horvat in Russian and some other Eastern European languages means Croatian.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stierlitz said:

I just think that this is important to call the player names right way. Interesting fact: original surname of our Burnaby Joe Sakic is Šakić (Croatian origin) and it is pronounced Sha-kich. Fortunately Lucic (Lju-chich) is pronounced correctly so things change... BTW Horvat in Russian and some other Eastern European languages means Croatian.

All interesting to me. My wife is half Hungarian(Transylvania) a couple of generation back and I'm mostly German/some Dutch but last point of origin for my great grandfather before coming to Canada in the 1860's was the Ukraine.   

5 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Holy crap you're smart man, not even joking. 

Wish I knew cool stuff. 

• Upvote 2