The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Whether or not he can be an impact NHLer is all going to come down to how mobile he is - stride, first step, lateral quickness, etc. And, perhaps, just importantly, how fast he can pivot and how good his gap control is.

The game is getting faster by the season; there are far fewer big defenders who are slow than there use to be. I would guess that trend will continue. Hopefully his time playing on bigger ice will help to offset the fast speed of the NHL. It would be a tremendous win if he works out. 

Edited by baumerman77
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baumerman77 said:

Whether or not he can be an impact NHLers is all going to come down to how mobile he is - stride, first step, lateral quickness, etc. And, perhaps, just importantly, how fast he can pivot and how good his gap control is.

The game is getting faster by the season; there are far fewer big defenders who are slow than there use to be. I would guess that trend will continue. Hopefully his time playing on bigger ice will help to offset the fast speed of the NHL. It would be a tremendous win if he works out. 

Agreed. It looks like from other video's his speed is OK but i'm wondering about the agility part as well. His reach may allow him some flexibility on that.

I don't know if he can be paired with Pedan or not but it would be nice to have the "Iron Curtain" D line, eh? :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

You see that he hit the net 3 out of 3 times. Thats 3 more times than Weber has all season :P

We must keep him far away from Edler...

Also who needs shoulder pads? :lol:

That shot is going to look real good on the PP! The fact that it hit the net already puts him at the top of the depth chart. I'm not expecting a lot of him, but if he can hit the net on the PP, defend keeping players to the outside and make the simple plays, I'll be thrilled! We haven't had a D with that kind of stick reach since Willie Mitchell left.

24 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

Whether or not he can be an impact NHLer is all going to come down to how mobile he is - stride, first step, lateral quickness, etc. And, perhaps, just importantly, how fast he can pivot and how good his gap control is.

True the game is getting faster, but the last time i watched the playoffs the refs put away the whistles and d-men could hack and whack at anyone who came near the crease. Chara can't skate. But he could practically be called for penalties almost every shift in the playoffs and it works for him.

It was only seven days ago that new Vancouver Canucks defenceman Nikita Tryamkin was playing a top-pairing role for Avtomobolist Yekateringburg in the KHL’s Gagarin Cup playoffs.

Those seven days have been busy. There have been hurdles to clear, contracts to get out from under, visa issues to sort through, and AHL out clauses to negotiate.

The red tape has all been torn now. Tryamkin’s agents secured his early release from Avtomobolist, he’s signed a two-year entry-level contract with the Canucks, his working visa is in order and he arrived in Vancouver in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

The 22-year-old Russian is due to show up for a skill session at Rogers Arena later Thursday and will practice with the team on Friday. He’ll be available to play NHL games afterwards, although isn’t expected to debut until next week.

At six-foot-eight and 240 pounds, Tryamkin cuts an imposing figure. If the Canucks’ third-round draft pick in 2013 is going to make an impact at the NHL level, though, he’s going to have to buck a number of trends.

Like how Russian-born defencemen have become something of an endangered species in the NHL. Next week, Tryamkin will become just the 12th Russian-born defender to play in an NHL game this season, where at the turn of the century, there were nearly 30.

Person of interest: Canucks new signee Nikita Tryamkin

The dearth of Russian defensive talent in the NHL makes it difficult to find historical comparables for players with Tryamkin’s statistical and physical profile. Though of course, so does the extremity of that physical profile.

Tryamkin will also be swimming upstream in a league that’s rapidly trending towards a preference for shorter, quicker defenceman.

In a faster NHL where the new prototype for a ‘shutdown guy’ is a Chris Tanev or Marc-Edouard Vlasic type, the behemoth defensive defenceman has been squeezed out. Massive and highly touted young defenders like Dylan McIlrath, Jamie Oleksiak, Jared Cowen and Jared Tinordi have seemed to struggle to adjust to the NHL’s pace.

“The problem in the game right now (for bigger defenceman) is that it’s all about defenceman who can turn, get the puck and transition it up ice,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet on Wednesday. “But because (Tryamkin) is a good skater for his size he can do that: he can make that good first pass.”

“For a six-foot-eight, 240-pound guy he’s coordinated and he’s a good skater,” said Benning. “He moves like a six-foot-one player.”

The big, mobile blue-liner could’ve become an unrestricted free agent at the end of May, so getting him signed to an entry-level deal is a win for an organization that has been heavily criticized in recent weeks. On the other hand, it should be noted that Tryamkin’s situation gave him a good deal of leverage, which is partly why he was able to secure an AHL out-clause on his deal.

That’s the cost of doing business with European professional players.

“If we were going to sign him to a deal, that’s the only type of deal that he would sign,” said Benning.

While Tryamkin will have the option of going back to Russia if he doesn’t make the Canucks’ NHL roster next season, it seems the club is holding out some hope that he might voluntarily choose the AHL route.

“If he can step in and he’s ready to play: great,” said Benning. “If he sees that he wants to be an NHL player and that he needs to learn some things, first of all, he’s going to have to transition to the smaller ice surface and the corners aren’t as big, so defenceman don’t have as much time with the puck on the smaller rink. There’s going to be a transition for him to the North American-style game.

“From there, if he can make the adjustment quick that will be great, but we’re hoping that if he can’t, that he understands that he’s got to keep working on his game, and if that means spending some time developing that he’s willing to do that to be an NHL player.”

That’s a bridge the Canucks and Tryamkin will cross when they come to it.

For now it seems the club is just happy to have got a more-complicated-than-usual entry-level contract done. And they’re eager to see how Tryamkin fares against NHL competition.

“I see him as a defensive defenceman,” said Benning. “He’s a good skater, he keeps tight gaps for a guy his size, he’s got that long reach and he can make plays with the puck. 

“He’s a bigger man who can have an easier time with the transition, maybe, because of his ability to skate.”

• Upvote 1

Jon Abbott ‏@HockeyAbbs  2m2 minutes ago

The Tryamkin height determination is taking a life of its own...now specified as 202 cm of 6 feet 7.5 inches

Tryamkin just lifted a reporter up and told him he's 10'6", 670 lbs.

The reporter was in his car at the time. :P

Edited by Mackcanuck

14 minutes ago, clutesi said:

True the game is getting faster, but the last time i watched the playoffs the refs put away the whistles and d-men could hack and whack at anyone who came near the crease. Chara can't skate. But he could practically be called for penalties almost every shift in the playoffs and it works for him.

I agree he will likely be best utilized in that type of role. 

I will say that in playoff hockey there are more penalties than in the regular season. But it doesn't seem that way because teams try to get away with more. Thus, despite there being more penalties in playoff hockey the ratio of actual penalties to called penalties is higher (ie refs let more go). Consequently, if there are more PKs it could make Tryamkin more useful. 

• Upvote 1