The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I still see that as a short term vs long term issue. If he needs a full season (or more) in the AHL before he's NHL ready, he understandably would prefer to continue improving at home to eventually make it to the NHL.

If he needs ~ a month in Utica, I think he could fairly easily be convinced it's worthwhile ;)

Yeah, and I think it's only if he finds the transition very difficult at first.  As Benning stated, the player himself will realize this and acknowledge that he needs an adjustment period.  He's not here (just) for the money, he wants to play in the NHL and be the best he can be.

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 6h6 hours ago

Everybody say it together now: Tram-kin. Got it? Good.

Brad Ziemer @BradZiemer 6h6 hours ago Greater Vancouver A, British Columbia

Told by Russian interpreter that Tryamkin's name is pronounced Tram-kin. Y is silent #Canucks

Actually this is not true. Pronunciation of letter Я in his last name ТрЯмкин is similar to the one in word "young" i.e. it sounds like / jʌ /.

23 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 5h5 hours ago

Tryamkin has stayed in touch with Horvat, Virtanen and McCann since being drafted. #Canucks

Vancouver Canucks @VanCanucks 6h6 hours ago

Intrigued... Tryamkin skated for an hour this morning after getting just 45 mins of sleep after arriving in Van.

according to press, he said is ready to play. But WD might let him watch the first game, get him setup for success rather than failure. I'm sure is he pumped and ready to go, but getting him ready w good practice w the team, watch how they play might be a better move.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

according to press, he said is ready to play. But WD might let him watch the first game, get him setup for success rather than failure. I'm sure is he pumped and ready to go, but getting him ready w good practice w the team, watch how they play might be a better move.

Plus, as I said before, there is adjustment for 14-hour time difference between Yekaterinburg and Vancouver.

17 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Jeff Paterson @patersonjeff 6h6 hours ago

Everybody say it together now: Tram-kin. Got it? Good.

Brad Ziemer @BradZiemer 6h6 hours ago Greater Vancouver A, British Columbia

Told by Russian interpreter that Tryamkin's name is pronounced Tram-kin. Y is silent #Canucks

Actually this is not true. Pronunciation of letter Я in his last name ТрЯмкин is similar to the one in word "young" i.e. it sounds like / jʌ /.

I think that's just said so quickly and fluidly that it sounds like it's silent to our ears.

In English we are prone to make another syllable out of it rather than mushing it together into one.

It's two syllables.... Tryam-kin. Right?

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

I think that's just said so quickly and fluidly that it sounds like it's silent to our ears.

In English we are prone to make another syllable out of it rather than mushing it together into one.

Yup, two syllables: Big - Boy.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Right, two syllables with stress on the first one. I think the translator changed pronunciation just for simplicity sake.

10 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Right, two syllables with stress on the first one. I think the translator changed pronunciation just for simplicity sake.

This is a general rule, right?

Two syllables and the stress is on the first. Three, it's on the middle?

We've been butchering Russian names forever. 

Not FED-or-ov. Fe-DOR-ov. 

Edited by theminister

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

Two syllables the stress in on the first. Three it's on the middle?

can't wait to hear Don Cherry's first attempt!    :lol:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, theminister said:

Two syllables the stress in on the first. Three it's on the middle?

It depends of how last name was created, Russian language is historically very complicated in that regard. And it is FE-do-rv (last O is silent) ;) At the same time it is chu-BA-rov, mo-GYL-ny...

SVECH-ni-kv --- ni-CHUSH-kin...

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

It depends of how last name was created, Russian language is historically very complicated in that regard. And it is FE-do-rv (last O is silent) ;) At the same time it is chu-BA-rov, mo-GYL-ny...

SVECH-ni-kv --- ni-CHUSH-kin...

In English we prefer not to have any rules at all so it's hard to judge historical complications with language. 

Since learning about more about Russian, though, I think I have a better understanding of the proper pronunciation. I would have said all those names correctly, I think. 

I guess I would have screwed up on Fedorov though...back to the drawing board!

12 minutes ago, theminister said:

Two syllables and the stress is on the first.

Regarding two syllables, as a common rule stress is mostly on the first one for pure Russian surnames like Tryamkin with few exemptions like kol'TSOV. For Ukrainian surnames it is mostly on the second syllable like pe-DAN. Bure is pronounced bu-RE because it is of German origin.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Regarding two syllables, as a common rule stress is mostly on the first one for pure Russian surnames like Tryamkin with few exemptions like kol'TSOV. For Ukrainian surnames it is mostly on the second syllable like pe-DAN. Bure is pronounced bu-RE because it is of German origin.

You know none of this would have been a problem if you just kept the Vikings out, right? 

Just like if my people were able to keep out the Vikings, Romans, Danes, Saxons.....never mind.