The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Doug Wilson said

granpappy

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

if we're getting our asses kicked, but the team somehow keeps me from changing the channel, because they rolled over and died, i couldn't care less. i feel like i'm repeating myself here

Pretty much this. If they are competitive each night and not half dead on the ice, win or lose I'll support this team til I die.

The difference for Vancouver is that if they do end up getting a high draft pick they already have many pieces in place and could transitionr to a contender a lot quicke than other teams (oilers, flames, panthers etc). I am not saying tanking is the solution but if the team ends up under performing and end up picking top 5, it wouldn't mean that the Canucks become the new Oilers and have 6 years of barely any progress.

Terrible loser mentality.

Tanking ? These are professional Athletes, why would they tank ? So the organization can draft a younger faster player that will take them jobs in a few years ??

There's also no guarantee in loterry picks thats why the most successful long term organizations rely on scouting and player development. This is where winning happens

I can make you a current all world team based on players that werent drafted in the top 10. Forget tanking, let's focus on scouting and player development.

Just ask how tanking has been doing in Edmonton and new York islanders.

Benning has said he wants the prospects to be groomed in a winning culture. If you want a team that sucks and tanks cheer for buffalo or Edmonton

I think the quote "If you want a team that sucks and tanks cheer for buffalo or Edmonton" is the most used line on this message board lately. What about teams like Pittsburgh,Chicago,LA,Colorado,TB ect that were all bad for a lot of years, got high draft picks and became the NHL's elite?

Tanking ? These are professional Athletes, why would they tank ? So the organization can draft a younger faster player that will take them jobs in a few years ??

There's also no guarantee in loterry picks thats why the most successful long term organizations rely on scouting and player development. This is where winning happens

I can make you a current all world team based on players that werent drafted in the top 10. Forget tanking, let's focus on scouting and player development.

Tanking isn't about the lack of effort put in by the players, it's the team management puts on the ice and/or how they are coached(putting guys on the PP and PK that shouldn't be there ect).

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

Its that type of loser mentality that creates teams like Edmonton and Florida...eternal losers who keep accumulating picks and prospects and after a decade, they still suck.

Why should we get rid of all the vets? You need vets to mentor the young guns and you need a culture of winning or working hard in order to build a winning team. You don't purposely lose or tank, because thats not how a championship team is built. Teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh were really awful and were actually working hard towards winning and they got the number 1 picks because they just weren't good. No point in purposely tanking because it just creates a loser team and am not going to watch Canucks games if they are just playing to lose. Such a stupid concept that I hope the NHL figures it out and actually makes sure that the last place team doesn't have a guaranteed or even a high chance of getting the number 1 overall. It should be the bottom 14 teams all having equal chances of landing the 1st overall pick.

so sick of all these threads about tanking.

Stop "cheering" for my team if you want them to lose

Am sick of it too. Anyone that wants to tank should just go and cheer for Edmonton. I'd rather have a team that works hard towards winning than a bunch of losers who care less about winning.

you need to think. these guys don't need to try to lose. it will be very difficult for them to win games. as the season goes on and the hopes of a 1 and out fade, that is where the so called tank takes place.

1: realize no 1 and out

2: ship vets out for prospects/picks

3: amass less points

4: pick higher in the draft

if you want to take the time you will see that the odds are with the higher picks. sure some don't work out but them lower round gems are few and far between. mostly pie in the sky. read some of the other posts and review the history of the penguins for one.

i don't want 'your team' to lose. you are absurd. try to convince all those flames owners about 'their team' when they hung on to the end. very little assets remained for their rebuild.

this is doug wilson. i think i read it in the sun or province on-line. able to find this: he seems to be inferring that if they did not have such a good team, they would try for a higher pick. oh dear, he is not a fan

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," he said. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

Am sick of it too. Anyone that wants to tank should just go and cheer for Edmonton. I'd rather have a team that works hard towards winning than a bunch of losers who care less about winning.

Well?

Speaking in support, and on behalf of Edmonton fans I know...

They don't want to lose.

They're just good losers... :P

OP is saying that we won't be good enough and we will naturally just tank because of bad play and GMJB will address the issue by offloading more pieces for picks and prospects for the next year.

OP is not saying we should purposefully tank the crap out of next season.

There's a difference peeps.

At least that's what I derived from it.

The thing is when your GM is astutely capable assessing talent the franchise can win now and do well in every draft.

The tankers still want the team to die so they can have a possible resurrection but the rebirth is well underway,already.

Oh,ye of little faith.

What ever spot we get, we need to draft good. That's all. Good drafting equals=LA,ANA,CHI,PIT,SJ,BOS etc.

We don't need to tank for the 1st overall.. we just need to draft good in any pick we get which we lacked until last year and this year.... but I guess if we are going that root, I'm supporting this team 100%.

Archived