The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Doug Wilson said

granpappy

I watched the special.

The GM denied tanking.

The coach never coached again in the NHL and took the fall.

The franchise was all but lost.

The fans wore paper bags on their heads.

The GM and owner should have been tossed out of the NHL.

They stated ' They did what was best for the franchise....getting Lemieux. Watch it again, they outright admitted it. On the old news clips they denied it but not on the current interview.

If we ice a team that is a contender, great and if they ice a team that is competitive and entertaining, I will cheer them on. BUT, once they are out of the playoffs, I am on the 'get a good pick' bandwagon.

Everyone has their view but each is entitled to their own opinion, that doesn't make them any less a fan than anyone else on here. Because you once played hockey, doesn't make you a better fan either so whoa back the horses a wee bit. If bashing a poster because of his age and making dementia jokes is cool NOT....well that is just plain old bad manners and disrespectful. It's time a few 'children' grew up a bit and conducted themselves with a bit more grace and demonstrated a certain degree of tact.. Disagree if you want to disagree but leave the personal attacks out of this forum.

It was an attempt at humour and outing a troll.

I do not think he actually has dementia.

I am very familiar with the disease, may even have it myself and many friends and family have it.

Laughing about it is one of the ways to cope.

His post was full of personal attacks as pointed out in my response.

Chill bluesman60; it's all good.

Benning has said he wants the prospects to be groomed in a winning culture. If you want a team that sucks and tanks cheer for buffalo or Edmonton

Well put.

Plus I'd like to see the exact quote. Eluding to something brings up personal interpretation and assumptions here. I get tired of this tank talk. The GM's of winning teams plus the league will be quick to speak out. This isn't some board game.

They stated ' They did what was best for the franchise....getting Lemieux. Watch it again, they outright admitted it. On the old news clips they denied it but not on the current interview.

I watched the special.

If you mismanage a team to the point of having to tank for first overall then there is absolutely no respect for the game or loyalty to fans.

It was a disgrace and is to this day.

The GM never admitted to tanking but the coach and associated staff did.

The coach's career was over so he could speak the truth about that disgrace.

Watch it again.

i'm glad doug wilson finally alluded to it. his team, he said might have 'tanked' in a bid for a high pick next year but as he also said, the sharks are still too good. so it's nice to know that in the gm circles this subject gets broached.

jb cannot be so sure of his canucks being too good still. he will be (as are many supporters) hoping for a bounce back year. this will be plan a i guess. he cannot not have a plan b. if the team does not bounce back, i'm guessing (hoping) he moves as quick as he has in this off season. it has been well discussed already. off load vets, pick up picks/prospects and 'tank.'

so, the very many 'holier than thou,' can now realize that this 'tanking' concept is within the mindset of the brass. and if the brass can think it so can the fan. and i for one am a fan. i remember watching cyclone taylor on sat nights at pacific coliseam watching the canucks, i go back a way. don't insult me about the way the game of hockey works. anyone who wants a 1 and out should go and watch ballet. you are happy to get your a** kicked?!! absolutely disgusting. believe me no one who has played this game is EVER happy to go 1 and out. so a little pain and then some gain and then the realistic expectation to go deep into the playoffs.

when is a loss a win? i will be counting the losses this year and looking forward to the possibility of getting barzal or ??. most of the players we will want on the team in 3 yrs will be playing in the minors. what do i care about a bunch of well paid vets suffering through a bad season? you think you need to be a loyal fan. what a laugh you so called 'true blue.' these guys are paid professionals. bobby orr is the only player i have heard of to tear up a contract because he didnt feel he played well enough. he is the exception. the possibility of drafting another home town kid with talent is what i look forward to not a 1 and out.

You obviously have know clue what your talking about since that statement is just plain dumb,

First, no one who's played the game would ever think there's not a team you can't beat once your in playoffs.

Second - This is a job and a players career on the line. They could honestly care less about how the team does in the future, When theres a good chance that in 3-4 years they might now be on that winning roster. Zero chance any of them give up as their next contract is determined by there play, playing hard and getting a pay raise is more important that losing and hoping the team drafts some kids who's almost have your age and may never amount to anything.

Also

Anyone who wants to tank better be upset and be hoping for losses every game next year. There shouldn't be any cheering by the "tanking fans" for nice goals, saves, shootout wins, or winning streaks. Because all those things go against your end desire of getting last place in the NHL. The only joy you should get is when a games over and canucks took home zero points.

Then when canucks make playoffs this year, i'd expect you all to turn off the tv and whine about how canucks didn't tank. But realistically when canucks make it to round two you'll all hop right back on the "Go Canucks Go" bandwagon and pretend like nothing happened.

If tanking and losing is what you want, then stay away from the enjoyment of watching canucks win.

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," he said. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

That bears no resemblance to the way you've tried to use it.

So if you were a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, you wouldn't be happy with the Pens tanking in 1983? http://www.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?TSN+Original%3A+Playing+To+Lose&id=455356

Lemieux was arguably the very best player since Howe or Beliveau.

No kid coming is worth losing a franchise over believing Mario2 is coming to magically win a cup on his own.

Mario scored 100 points as an 18 year old rookie and the Penguins never made the playoffs.

The kid was the NHL All-Star game MVP as a rookie.

Mario scored 245 goals and added 379 assists for 624 points over 5 of his first 6 NHL seasons in which Pittsburgh never made the playoffs.

823 points over his first six NHL seasons on a team so bad they could not make the post season -but once.

The one year where Mario took his team to the playoffs in his first six years Mario scored 85 goals and added 114 assists for 199 points.

No kid coming can be the greatest player since Mario and save a team from the verge of multiple bankruptcies.

Fans around here lose one season and they want to tank for the dream of a chance at a first pick.

What they may not think about is that it would take another six years to get back into the playoffs for that dubious distinction and the team may have folded by that point in time.Pittsburgh were playing to half empty rinks the year Mario was drafted.

Add in the fact that even if you were bad enough to have a chance at a first pick that pick would never qualify to even tie Mario's skates.

There is only a couple of players in NHL history that even compare to Mario and a player like him may not come again for generations upon generations.

you must really be an old timer..i'm 75 and cyclone's career ended before i was born...i was a fan when rocket richard played.....and mickey mantle in baseball....you must be 85 or so....a true fan who watches a game, wouldn't contemplate tanking,none that i'ld have any respect for anyway....if you are an old timer...i'm sorry i don't respect your y

you need to put your reading glasses on. cyclone was sitting in the stands watching the canucks play. he was a bout 100 yrs old. do you really think anyone alive watched cyclone play live. you might be experiencing dementia. and anyone who says DW didn't allude to tanking . . . he explains that the sharks cannot tank because, BECAUSE, they still have too many good players. so . . . if they DIDN'T still have too many good players, one can infer that they may choose to tank and this is because in spite of all the experts that feel we don't need a top 3 pick, he recognizes that picking someone like mcdavid 28th overall would be harder than pulling him out of your a** which is where a lot of you seem to be keeping your heads

You do realize Granpappy that last season's debacle was largely do to the coaching and his style don't you? The season started out OK and then after xmas.........well we all know what happened. Even if we bought into the "tanking" idea do you think they are that bad that it would warrant it at this time? I think you gave up on your team a little prematurely and need to see what a new coach and his system will do. With all the disruptions that have occurred lately I think they have come out not too badly. Give the team at least a full season before you give up on them.

as i said and for you too chalky, plan a is to win. they might bounce back but if this team is well out of it near trade deadline why wouldn't you go to plan b : unload some vets for prospects/picks? a lot of you nay 'tankers' seem to have very little capacity for comprehension. it is embarrasing

as i said and for you too chalky, plan a is to win. they might bounce back but if this team is well out of it near trade deadline why wouldn't you go to plan b : unload some vets for prospects/picks? a lot of you nay 'tankers' seem to have very little capacity for comprehension. it is embarrasing

Find that source yet?

Problem I see with that theory,Granpappy, is that the Canucks are very likely going to make the playoffs.

There ain't no tanking in late January and early February under a psychotic coach and GM that is no longer allowed to make 'bold' moves

cuz he is on his way out the door.

You obviously have know clue what your talking about since that statement is just plain dumb,

First, no one who's played the game would ever think there's not a team you can't beat once your in playoffs.

Second - This is a job and a players career on the line. They could honestly care less about how the team does in the future, When theres a good chance that in 3-4 years they might now be on that winning roster. Zero chance any of them give up as their next contract is determined by there play, playing hard and getting a pay raise is more important that losing and hoping the team drafts some kids who's almost have your age and may never amount to anything.

Also

Anyone who wants to tank better be upset and be hoping for losses every game next year. There shouldn't be any cheering by the "tanking fans" for nice goals, saves, shootout wins, or winning streaks. Because all those things go against your end desire of getting last place in the NHL. The only joy you should get is when a games over and canucks took home zero points.

Then when canucks make playoffs this year, i'd expect you all to turn off the tv and whine about how canucks didn't tank. But realistically when canucks make it to round two you'll all hop right back on the "Go Canucks Go" bandwagon and pretend like nothing happened.

If tanking and losing is what you want, then stay away from the enjoyment of watching canucks win.

this is unbelieveable. do you think the players can will themselves to win? they will struggle. and (sigh) when they are out of contention, start unloading vets. hopefully they play entertaining, hopefully players have big yrs but i just don't see them competing in the west. don't see it. hopefully some prospects come up and show promise for the future. and the DW quote has been posted many times on this thread, myself included. didn't post it on the opening statement as my dementia prevented me!

this is out of the San Jose Mercury News:

"I can understand when people say there are different types of rebuild," he said. "We're not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second. This is not something this franchise can do, because we already have some good players in key positions. You're not going to see us with 50 points next year -- we're too good a team for that."

so he can understand there are different types of rebuilds. he says the sharks cannot try to finish last and the reason he gives is because they still have a very good team. so if he has thought about it, he must have given it a consideration. i would hope that jb, being the thorough gm we all hope he is, has also assessed hsi team and at least calculated the chances of where they might pick next year. he has made moves. there are some here that have literally guaranteed these moves will pan out. again unbelieveable. why play the games then. we will make the playoffs. all you confident homers, how much of your own cold hard cash would you put down on it? really, how much? i'm sorry to infer that anyone might be a gambler. i'm not. it seems here that you are or are not a fan based on the choice of direction you may wish for the team to go on their way to hopefully winning a SC. maybe the size of bet you would be willing to make on making the playoffs next yr might be a better indicator and make it a little more clear how big a fan you really are

i will also say there a lot downplaying the value of a top pick as in i'd rather find someone at 28 that will play with heart sort of thing. i may be wrong about the chances of van getting into a top pick situation but making statements like the one i have referred to is jes plain dumb

this is out of the San Jose Mercury News:

so he can understand there are different types of rebuilds. he says the sharks cannot try to finish last and the reason he gives is because they still have a very good team. so if he has thought about it, he must have given it a consideration.

Or mabye what he said was simply an answer to a reporter's question, nothing more or less.

Nowhere in his quote did he say he was considering tanking.

Archived