The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Nashville signs Mike Ribero to a 1 yr contract.

Good value as long as he lays of the drugs and treats his family better. At least from what I heard that Phoenix guy say on team 1040. Nashville added some great depth for 2 mill. I would have loved these 2 guys for this cheap.

Again with the "scarier"? When LA or Dallas now comes to town shall we all cower under our beds until they leave? I have yet to feel fear from a hockey team, but I guess if pangs of terror is what grips one's thoughts...

Great, up their game -- makes hockey better when everyone can compete and play well. Of course, TankNation would likely prefer a half-dozen contenders and the rest fighting it out for draft position all year in a race to the bottom.

Good thing Trotz is gone.

Ribiero is as one dimensional as they come.

One of the worst players in the NHL without the puck on his stick.

71.7% offensive zone starts last year against weak competition - shows you what a very intelligent coach like Dave Tippett thinks of him. No one else on the Yotes got anywhere near that kind of spoon feeding. Being 148th in pp60 while playing in that context is nothing special offensively.

46 giveaways / -22 turnovers.

A paltry 43.3% in the faceoff circle.

-13 despite being sheltered like a teenager. With that situational play, to still come up with a horrible +/-, worst among Coyotes forwards, says something. That is a case where +/- put in context is a meaningful statistic.

Add to that the stories about being a problematic team-mate, and it's no wonder they bought him out. What was shocking was that Phoenix signed him to that loopy contract in the first place. Very uncharacteristic of them, and it came back to bite them.

I'm glad the Canucks didn't sign this guy - even at league minimum - not interested.

Good thing Trotz is gone.

Ribiero is as one dimensional as they come.

One of the worst players in the NHL without the puck on his stick.

71.7% offensive zone starts last year against weak competition - shows you what a very intelligent coach like Dave Tippett thinks of him. No one else on the Yotes got anywhere near that kind of spoon feeding. Being 148th in pp60 while playing in that context is nothing special offensively.

46 giveaways / -22 turnovers.

A paltry 43.3% in the faceoff circle.

-13 despite being sheltered like a teenager. With that situational play, to still come up with a horrible +/-, worst among Coyotes forwards, says something. That is a case where +/- put in context is a meaningful statistic.

Add to that the stories about being a problematic team-mate, and it's no wonder they bought him out. What was shocking was that Phoenix signed him to that loopy contract in the first place. Very uncharacteristic of them, and it came back to bite them.

I'm glad the Canucks didn't sign this guy - even at league minimum - not interested.

No doubt.

I don't mind the odd 1 dimensional player as not every guy can score and defend but Mike Rib is an anomaly. Guy is terrible.

For 1 million it's a good signing wether it works out or not. Gives the predator depth at center and do he can regain his discipline, ribero could have a decent season. His stats in phenox were not great but that was one year. He's been able to put up points in the past and could find chemistry with Neal. At least Nashville now has some

Decent forwards

Good value as long as he lays of the drugs and treats his family better. At least from what I heard that Phoenix guy say on team 1040. Nashville added some great depth for 2 mill. I would have loved these 2 guys for this cheap.

Riberio playing on the same team with rich Clune might be what he needs to get back on the right path of life,Clune has battled through his addiction.

Ribeiro and Roy are a couple of smart pickups for Nashville, especially at $1,050,000 and $1,000,000 (most of which can be buried in the minors, if needed).

While I wouldn't want either one on the Canucks, the Preds have a very different roster than us and they can benefit from these additions.

Nashville already has good defensive centres with strong faceoff abilities. They have one of the best in the game in Gaustad (a big defensive C/W who routinely puts up around a 60% faceoff winning percentage) and Cullen (a solid two-way veteran C/W who can win around 55% of his draws). And when Fisher's healthy, he's a quality two-way centre who can handle tough matchups and wins better than 50% of his faceoffs.

Wilson is also becoming a fairly solid faceoff option and he could get on the right side of 50% for the 2014-15 season. He's becoming a better player in all areas of his game as he gains experience and seasoning. He could also help out at centre.

What Nashville needed was a couple forwards who can bring some skill, vision, creativity, playmaking and potential offensive production to the middle position on their forward lines. They don't need checking centres and they don't need faceoff aces. They need a couple guys who can help them in the offensive zone at even strength and on the power play.

Ribeiro and Roy still have the ability to be helpful players in those roles.

Even if they only match their last season's production, they will bring good value and provide an offensive "shot in the arm" to the Nashvile roster. This was a critical need with Fisher (who'd been Nashville's best offensive centre) expected to be out for the next 4-6 months.

You just can't argue with the numbers. Nashville should end up getting top-six level scoring production at 4th liner prices.

And the Preds already have the players they need to cover for the defensive weaknesses in Ribeiro and Roy's games (which is the one thing that the Canucks don't have right now on their centre chart--and the main reason why I wouldn't want either player here, regardless of the price).

Nashville has the luxury of feeding Ribeiro and Roy soft minutes and high rates of offensive zone starts. Gaustad and Cullen should be fine handling most of the "lunch bucket duties" in their own end.

Archived