The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The surprise player at camp

Lui's Knob

Not sold on Vey like most people he's only had one decent year and that was his last year of Jr. His AHL Stats ere so-so I doubt he sticks with the big club. Gaunce -Fox-Horvat- Shinkaruk- all have a higher ceiling and skill.Not sure where everyone gets their hype about Vey from but its not from Facts.

I'm guessing you probably don't like people like me then...

In all honesty he hasn't proven much in the NHL yet, but he is literally our only player at his age to put up a PPG or better in the AHL. He has similar AHL numbers to guys like tyler johnson and Gustav Nyquist.

Only time will tell, but I would say he has the talent to be a great middle 6 guy for us.

As far as suprise at camp, I also think Sbisa is better than we give him credit for.

Also look for Dorsett to be motivated by playing under Willie again, might surprise some people

Cole Cassels will be our best forward prospect at the camp he was what made the MDC line successful along with Laughton, he got the loose pucks, took it to the net, doing the dirty work, hitting, feeding the puck.

He compliments skill players so so much and it isn't like he doesn't have skill. He has some nifty hands and good offensive awareness. He's like the Bryan Bickell to Kane and Toews.

gaunce was overlooked a lot until this summer's camp but from what I've heard/seen, he was one of the most promising, if not best prospect for the week. very exciting to see if he can force JB so open up a spot on the big team!

u mean cause u watched that one slow mo replay from the 4 on 4 prospects game. lol.

Cole Cassels will be our best forward prospect at the camp he was what made the MDC line successful along with Laughton, he got the loose pucks, took it to the net, doing the dirty work, hitting, feeding the puck.

He compliments skill players so so much and it isn't like he doesn't have skill. He has some nifty hands and good offensive awareness. He's like the Bryan Bickell to Kane and Toews.

Totally agree. Cassels will be the biggest surprise. I still dont think he will make the team this year, but he will turn some heads.

Same thing will happen to Guance. He'll have a good camp, but too much depth at center has him starting the season in the AHL.

I Predict Fox and Jensen make the opening night roster.

I think Sanguinetti will surprise as well, IF he can stay healthy, that is a big if.

I think the best option for both Gaunce and Shinkaruk is to play the year in Utica, no point in rushing prospects. Rather see them get used to being professionals and have a year or two in the AHL under their belt.

Horvat will go back to London, which is unfortunate but he is just not ready yet.

I really wish Horvat was old enough to play in the AHL next year but I will for sure be following Utica a lot more closer with the prospects that are there.

Shinkaruk - O'Reilly - Jensen

Fox - Gaunce - Grenier

Archibald - Pelletier - DeFazio

not a bad top 9 there at all.

Unfortunately Pelletier has signed in Europe.

I think it'll be the fans who are the most surprised this year. There aren't too many surprise players in camp this year at all. There's really only 3 spots open for these guys to compete for (1 spot on 3rd line and 6 & 7 Dman). I would expect Stanton/Corrado/Weber/Bobby S to compete for the 2 spots on D...no real surprises there. As for the 3rd line spot, there's a ton of guys that could fill that spot as well (Vey, Shink, BOVAT, Gaunce, Jensen), and I wouldn't be surprised by any of them filling it. What WOULD surprise me is if someone like Cassels or Fox made the team. From what I've seen these guys are basically career AHL'ers. They look good down there 'cause they aren't playing against Keith, Seabrook, Doughty etc, top goalies and top shutdown forwards every night. Don't forget the semantics folks...the opposing players (and especially dmen and goalies) are also guys who couldn't make the NHL...so AHL stats are a bit askew when looking at a player's NHL prospectus. I think when the dust settles, and barring any wow trade to secure a 2C, we can basically look at the players we have signed to 1 ways and we get a pretty solid picture of our top 9F / top 6D. I would actually be surprised if Markstrom isn't traded to avoid losing him on waiver pass through...we might be able to get a 3rd or even a 2nd from a team with weak goalie depth (can you spell C-A-L-G-A-R-Y).

@ DRAKRAMI: I don't agree that Jensen is over-hyped at all. He got his sniff down the stretch and I think he actually excelled and over-achieved at what many fans expectations were of him. If he can play like that for an entire season then Vrbata will find himself on the 2nd line next year. Horvat, well there's no real body of work to compare him to...NHL calibre comparison. As for the over-hype, that's just on CDC.

Archived