The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

I'm not really a short, cute, and furry alien from Melmac.  Yes, to be honest I'm tall.  Yes, I was too tall for a Melmacian.  I was treated badly from childhood, and had to leave.  It feels so very good, like a heavy weight lifted from my soul, to be honest.  I hope you all can forgive me for misleading you.  

Sometimes I hear voices in my head, but it's within my ears so how exactly am I hearing this?  I am also terribly shy with the ladies, it's a shame too because the more interested in me the more shy I become until we engage in pre-marital coitus then I become Rico Suave without the terrible music catalogue.  And speaking of catalogues it would be a true confession if I didn't mention I use to be an avid goalie puller back in the day as a kid.

:bigblush:

8 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i've only been working where i am now for 3 months but i'm on the road to being assistant manager. when no one's willing to step up and are content where they are, i'm taking the opportunity from the laziness of others

It's like a bear attack. You've just gotta be faster than the rest of the slowpokes.

30 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Confession: I was downsized from my job just over a month ago. EI pays next to nothing and I have a Mortgage and bills to pay, not to mention a Wife and our first child on the way. I looked for work at my needed salary level which I was making and couldn't find anything. I began to look below my needed level and took a job that pays WAY less than my experience level and needed salary, which I have no intention on keeping, just so that I could collect a paycheque that is much higher than collecting EI and allows me to be in front of a computer all day so I can look for work at my level. I'm basically just here at a job that I hate collecting a cheque and I barely do any work at all, but my manager is too nice and naive to realize what I'm doing. I feel really bad about it. I just keep telling myself that I'm doing what I need to do for my family. Still feels really crappy though. I don't like compromising my integrity like this. I hope a find a new job soon so things can go back to normal. But at the same time everyone here is really nice and I will feel bad for leaving them in a bind when I go, but I also really can't afford to stay. :unsure:

Welcome to the real world...you have to do what is right for you..no one else will...its not like the old days when you could go door to door looking for work...now you have to send emails and faxes and hope for the best...its a tough world out there.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Welcome to the real world...you have to do what is right for you..no one else will...its not like the old days when you could go door to door looking for work...now you have to send emails and faxes and hope for the best...its a tough world out there.

I know Shaky, and I can appreciate that. I'm familiar with the real world and having to do what you gotta do. I'm just saying that it doesn't feel very good to take advantage of people for your own gain and/or needs. I wish I didn't feel like I have to do it this way. It feels like I'm living a lie with these people who think that I'm here to help the company when in reality I am essentially here to take advantage of it. Making excuses for being late or leaving early because I have an interview. It all feels wrong in my heart.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I know Shaky, and I can appreciate that. I'm familiar with the real world and having to do what you gotta do. I'm just saying that it doesn't feel very good to take advantage of people for your own gain and/or needs. I wish I didn't feel like I have to do it this way. It feels like I'm living a lie with these people who think that I'm here to help the company when in reality I am essentially here to take advantage of it. Making excuses for being late or leaving early because I have an interview. It all feels wrong in my heart.

You arent alone ..I think its what you do now..your current employer probably even realizes that if your salary isnt enough for you and your family..

• Upvote 2
32 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

People still send faxes? 

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Government of Canada says 'hi' :lol: 

No kidding. A few years back I had to send them some additional tax return info. I asked what email address I could send it to and was told "we don't have email, you'll need to fax it to...".

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I made this face: :blink:

You're tax dollars at work folks....

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 3
12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No kidding. A few years back I had to send them some additional tax return info. I asked what email address I could send it to and was told "we don't have email, you'll need to fax it to...".

Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I made this face: :blink:

You're tax dollars at work folks....

Don't get me started...............

lol

53 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Isn't that true of almost any job, though? I mean, I like where I work but I am still here primarily for myself (because I want/need money). If people wanted to work for free because they care well that's what volunteering is for. 

As long as you do your job to earn your check then I don't think you're taking advantage. This is a business relationship: if you show up and do what they ask then you're more than justified in accepting their money. And as far as taking time off for interviews, unless you've just gotten up and left without saying anything then I take it these absences were approved- you shouldn't feel bad about that. If they approved you to take personal time then what you do with that time is your business. 

You sound like a nice guy, and one with integrity at that. It sounds like you're doing the best you can in a tough situation. At least you are doing some work (even if it's not up to your abilities) instead of idly collecting benefits. Give yourself a break. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Confession: I was downsized from my job just over a month ago. EI pays next to nothing and I have a Mortgage and bills to pay, not to mention a Wife and our first child on the way. I looked for work at my needed salary level which I was making and couldn't find anything. I began to look below my needed level and took a job that pays WAY less than my experience level and needed salary, which I have no intention on keeping, just so that I could collect a paycheque that is much higher than collecting EI and allows me to be in front of a computer all day so I can look for work at my level. I'm basically just here at a job that I hate collecting a cheque and I barely do any work at all, but my manager is too nice and naive to realize what I'm doing. I feel really bad about it. I just keep telling myself that I'm doing what I need to do for my family. Still feels really crappy though. I don't like compromising my integrity like this. I hope a find a new job soon so things can go back to normal. But at the same time everyone here is really nice and I will feel bad for leaving them in a bind when I go, but I also really can't afford to stay. :unsure:

Thanks for being so honest and full of integrity.  You're not the only one who has dealt with similar situations - myself included.

im sure you know this but doing what is best for your family is if the ultimate importance.

one day you may have to counsel your child over a similar situation and you can count on your clear conscience to guide him/her in the right way.

sounds like your family is in good hands.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Isn't that true of almost any job, though? I mean, I like where I work but I am still here primarily for myself (because I want/need money). If people wanted to work for free because they care well that's what volunteering is for. 

I suppose that's true to some extent, but I'm not sure it applies to my situation since I took the job under the false pretenses that I wanted to be here and that I was going to work hard for them, otherwise they wouldn't have hired me. Which I think is a little different than just taking a job for the money over volunteering for a cause.

As long as you do your job to earn your check then I don't think you're taking advantage. This is a business relationship: if you show up and do what they ask then you're more than justified in accepting their money. And as far as taking time off for interviews, unless you've just gotten up and left without saying anything then I take it these absences were approved- you shouldn't feel bad about that. If they approved you to take personal time then what you do with that time is your business. 

That's the thing. I don't feel I'm earning my paycheque considering I spend most of my day looking for a better higher paying job. I've also never asked permission for any of the time off that I have had to take for interviews or job hunting. I've had to come up with excuses that wouldn't be questioned or needed to be approved. Between making up lies about the work I'm not doing and the time I am missing I'd say 75% of my day is disingenuous.

You sound like a nice guy, and one with integrity at that. It sounds like you're doing the best you can in a tough situation. At least you are doing some work (even if it's not up to your abilities) instead of idly collecting benefits. Give yourself a break. 

I appreciate that. Perhaps I am being a bit hard on myself. It's just that it's a smaller business that I am working for and I feel like my dishonesty and eventual departure will effect them more than a larger company. I just have to keep telling myself that I am doing what I have to do to get myself and my family through a tough situation. It is still hard on me though because I feel what I am doing is wrong. I used to consider myself as an honest man of integrity. Now I'm not so sure. Thanks for the kind words though.

Edited by Roger Neilson's Towel
15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Thanks for being so honest and full of integrity.  You're not the only one who has dealt with similar situations - myself included.

im sure you know this but doing what is best for your family is if the ultimate importance.

one day you may have to counsel your child over a similar situation and you can count on your clear conscience to guide him/her in the right way.

sounds like your family is in good hands.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated.