The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

I confess ~

I got really excited when I mis calculated the amount per serving on the package of cookies!  

I thought it was 2 cookies per serving at 150 calories, but no, 4 cookies at 150 calories!

Now I'm having a cookie party!

I'm on a diet, oh god these are good!

As long I fall into my calorie range and hit the gym, I am good.

I confess ~

I'm looking forward to this royal wedding!  I'm one of these people who will wake up at 4am, 3:55am on Saturday to watch this.  I wonder who the designer will be for her wedding dress.  Will it be an American designer, French designer, British designer, or a Canadian designer?  I must see!

Edited by brilac

I have always wanted to learn the acoustic guitar, I always wondered if I even had the ability, am I coordinated enough? Would my lack of depth perception affect finger plucking type songs? I have owned 2 guitars in my life. The 1st, I learned the basic chords (Gs,Ds,As,Es,etc) and could strum a few songs decently but then sold it for gas money to move back to BC. Now, I have one that my sister let me borrow. It is hanging on the wall and I have a DVD from my father in law who used to play in a band and is an unreal guitar player, said it was one of the best and most basic instructional videos to get me well on my way.

I think this fall since I am taking a year or so off of coaching junior hockey, I might try and properly learn how to play the guitar.

12 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

I have always wanted to learn the acoustic guitar, I always wondered if I even had the ability, am I coordinated enough? Would my lack of depth perception affect finger plucking type songs? I have owned 2 guitars in my life. The 1st, I learned the basic chords (Gs,Ds,As,Es,etc) and could strum a few songs decently but then sold it for gas money to move back to BC. Now, I have one that my sister let me borrow. It is hanging on the wall and I have a DVD from my father in law who used to play in a band and is an unreal guitar player, said it was one of the best and most basic instructional videos to get me well on my way.

I think this fall since I am taking a year or so off of coaching junior hockey, I might try and properly learn how to play the guitar.

It's not too difficult, more muscle memory and getting your fingers to move independently.  A lot of people give it up way too early probably because they don't take the time to stretch properly.  I always tell whoever is interested in learning that Usain Bolt doesn't just hop out of bed and directly race right away, he stretches for hours, as does any athlete.  Playing guitar, or any instrument, is no different.  Ideally you want to stretch every finger(pull it as far back, then as far forward with your arms perpendicular to your body) then your wrists and finally your arms(I've pulled abdominal muscles playing metal lol).  After that comes the tedious part, grab a pick and hit every note on the fret board using alternate picking(youtube it).  I would do that and build up your muscle memory and dexterity before tackling notes and scales. 

Good luck.

• Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It's not too difficult, more muscle memory and getting your fingers to move independently.  A lot of people give it up way too early probably because they don't take the time to stretch properly.  I always tell whoever is interested in learning that Usain Bolt doesn't just hop out of bed and directly race right away, he stretches for hours, as does any athlete.  Playing guitar, or any instrument, is no different.  Ideally you want to stretch every finger(pull it as far back, then as far forward with your arms perpendicular to your body) then your wrists and finally your arms(I've pulled abdominal muscles playing metal lol).  After that comes the tedious part, grab a pick and hit every note on the fret board using alternate picking(youtube it).  I would do that and build up your muscle memory and dexterity before tackling notes and scales. 

Good luck.

Great tip!

I am competitive by nature and hate when I don't immediately 'take to' something, but this I should KNOW is a definite skill!

Local sports players named Daniel Talia. Every time his name is mentioned I smile and think of his sister Jenny who does not exist. I am a bad person and can't stop these immature thoughts.   :-(

• Haha 2

So out wedding next year is 99% planned and I wish it wasnt. I have planned none of it. My family had done all the planning. I am greatful but also annoyed because I wanted to have more say in the planning. Our guest list is also getting out of hand. my aunt keeps adding random family I dont know or barely  even know. Her reasoning is that family are more important then friends. My parents also have more people added then we do. They are paying for the  wedding though but I dont want a huge wedding and neither does Ts. They wont be happy but i am going cut the guest list by 10 people.

I used to suffer from pretty severe social anxiety (it got so bad that I once reached the front door of a party I was invited to and had to turn back to go home) but a few previous jobs and especially my last one really brought me out of my shell. In the last couple of months I've started to feel it taking ahold of me again though. I have plenty of friends, but my closest ones live in another city and I'm struggling to maintain any friendships I have here.

My long distance relationship is also now on shaky ground as I'm really struggling to find a job. Seeing as she lives in Seattle and will be for another 12 months I can't afford regular trips and she's starting to lose patience with me. We had an argument (I say argument, but it mostly one way) last month in which she essentially said that I'd become a boring person that wasn't interesting anymore. She later apologised and said she didn't mean anything said in the heat of the argument. It's been weighing on my mind a lot recently though and I'm starting to wonder if it might be true.

Really a combination of these things and being unable to get interviews for even menial positions has kind of shattered my confidence. I'm not sure why I'm sharing this in WN but it feels good to type it anyway. It comes easier to me than speaking to people about it :lol:

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I used to suffer from pretty severe social anxiety (it got so bad that I once reached the front door of a party I was invited to and had to turn back to go home) but a few previous jobs and especially my last one really brought me out of my shell. In the last couple of months I've started to feel it taking ahold of me again though. I have plenty of friends, but my closest ones live in another city and I'm struggling to maintain any friendships I have here.

My long distance relationship is also now on shaky ground as I'm really struggling to find a job. Seeing as she lives in Seattle and will be for another 12 months I can't afford regular trips and she's starting to lose patience with me. We had an argument (I say argument, but it mostly one way) last month in which she essentially said that I'd become a boring person that wasn't interesting anymore. She later apologised and said she didn't mean anything said in the heat of the argument. It's been weighing on my mind a lot recently though and I'm starting to wonder if it might be true.

Really a combination of these things and being unable to get interviews for even menial positions has kind of shattered my confidence. I'm not sure why I'm sharing this in WN but it feels good to type it anyway. It comes easier to me than speaking to people about it :lol:

When things have gone south for me writing my thoughts down instead of having them stuck in my head definitley helped. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Really a combination of these things and being unable to get interviews for even menial positions has kind of shattered my confidence. I'm not sure why I'm sharing this in WN but it feels good to type it anyway. It comes easier to me than speaking to people about it

A man’s employment plays a big role in his self esteem. I’ve been through that myself and it sucks. Societal norms play a big role in that. Don’t you have a masters? Something is bound to turn up before long. 

From one straight guy to another, you’re a smart lad with a good sense of humour. What more could the lass want? Chin up. 

• Upvote 3