The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it is an extremely bad idea to continue the impression that the Canucks are trying to emulate what another team does (San Jose). IMO adopting another teams practice, immediately after they announced it, reeks of weakness especially with a team that is in the middle of reconstruction it's own image (Both Van & SJ). My wish for this team is that they begin blazing their own trail, in which other teams attempt to follow, and to look back only to spit on the carnage they have left in their wake.

Edit: Henrik is Awesome.

I think it is an extremely bad idea to continue the impression that the Canucks are trying to emulate what another team does (San Jose). IMO adopting another teams practice, immediately after they announced it, reeks of weakness especially with a team that is in the middle of reconstruction it's own image (Both Van & SJ). My wish for this team is that they begin blazing their own trail, in which other teams attempt to follow, and to look back only to recognize the carnage they have left in their wake.

Edit: Henrik is Awesome.

For the record, I thought as soon as they hired Willie that they should have made an announcement that on-ice team leadership will be decided in training camp, clearing the way for Willie to make his own decision.

And, yes...Henrik is Awesome! I think he and Daniel will both have bounce back seasons if their playing time is more closely regulated and they aren't blocking shots on the penalty kill.

On a side note, I think the whole, "Blocking Shots" thing is stupid. With how hard some of these guys on the point can fire now, the focus should be on clearing the lane so that the goalie has good visibility and can see the puck.

Is it just me, or does trying to block the shot result in a lot of deflections off our own team that wind up in the back of the net?

For the record, I thought as soon as they hired Willie that they should have made an announcement that on-ice team leadership will be decided in training camp, clearing the way for Willie to make his own decision.

And, yes...Henrik is Awesome! I think he and Daniel will both have bounce back seasons if their playing time is more closely regulated and they aren't blocking shots on the penalty kill.

On a side note, I think the whole, "Blocking Shots" thing is stupid. With how hard some of these guys on the point can fire now, the focus should be on clearing the lane so that the goalie has good visibility and can see the puck.

Is it just me, or does trying to block the shot result in a lot of deflections off our own team that wind up in the back of the net?

I agree. Although every team blocks shots I think it was the way they did it that was their downfall. I am no expert but they seemed to fall back almost completely choking off the goalies view. When everybody is in such close quarters, the time to react to deflections is much shorter resulting to a lot of confusion in front of the net and some pretty ugly goals - that we saw allot of last year.

I agree. Although every team blocks shots I think it was the way they did it that was their downfall. I am no expert but they seemed to fall back almost completely choking off the goalies view. When everybody is in such close quarters, the time to react to deflections is much shorter resulting to a lot of confusion in front of the net and some pretty ugly goals - that we saw allot of last year.

Not to mention that, if a team wins with its best players, that can be difficult if half your defense are in leg casts because they tried to block a shot from Weber or Chara. There's only one guy on the ice for your team who is in the right equipment to absorb a shot from these guys. Clear the view and let him do what he gets paid to do!

Not if you block it properly, if anything it should go in the opposite direction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopM_ZMGniA

Notice that all the shots he blocked deflected away from the goalie. Also, had he not fell on the first one he could have got possession and broke out.

^Same thing here.

^And here.

Typically, you won't gain possession from it (sometimes you can though), but it prevents the shot from reaching the net. Really, if you do it properly you won't get injured, just sore at most.

There's only one guy on the ice for your team who is in the right equipment to absorb a shot from these guys. Clear the view and let him do what he gets paid to do!

:wacko: No...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/defensive/sort/blockedShots/position/defensemen <Really, any defenseman who spends a lot of time in the defensive zone will be blocking shots, I don't get why everyone hates is anti shot blocking now.

Same with any player who penalty kills, where it's most important.

Are. You. Kidding????

I wouldn't have said it if I was kidding! That doesn't mean I'm right, just voicing my opinion on the idea of full overhaul of the leadership structure, top to bottom, after the worst results of a Canucks team in 14 years!

No better way to start off what we hope is a bounce back season - strip him of the C.

This poll is awful.

No better way to start off what we hope is a bounce back season - strip him of the C.

This poll is awful.

I was pretty sure that the overall opinion would be NO, but its interesting to see how strong the NO side is and how much the Canuck fans support Henrik as the Captain of the team. I thought it would be closer to a 75/25 - 65/35 range for the split.

It is great to see that better than 90% of the fans still support Henrik even after the disaster that was last season.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Edler and all the others that had off seasons last year, bounce back and have a really great year and push this team back into the playoffs in the 14/15 season. I would love to see the Sedins prove that they are still Elite players and for Edler prove everyone wrong!

I was pretty sure that the overall opinion would be NO, but its interesting to see how strong the NO side is and how much the Canuck fans support Henrik as the Captain of the team. I thought it would be closer to a 75/25 - 65/35 range for the split.

It is great to see that better than 90% of the fans still support Henrik even after the disaster that was last season.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Edler and all the others that had off seasons last year, bounce back and have a really great year and push this team back into the playoffs in the 14/15 season. I would love to see the Sedins prove that they are still Elite players and for Edler prove everyone wrong!

You and me both.

People can criticize the Sedin's all they want, say they aren't physical enough ect.

But the fact is those guy have ALWAYS busted their a$$es and played the game the right way.

On and off the ice they are class and leadership all the way, their professionalism sets the standard for new kids coming up on the team.

Henrik is a great captain, better than a lot of other guys who hold the same rank for other teams.

It ain't broke, so just put the toolbox away.

Yeah San Jose is really going off the deep end... What does that do to the room? Couple guys trying to talk like captains over each other while Thornton does a slow burn? They just re-signed the guy and then they kick him in the teeth. Everyone else on that team must be wondering the same thing... If your done with your Captain, trade him... If he wants to anoint a new one so be it... But what the sharks have done is pretty stupid imho.

Hank is the chairman of the board, the CEO, the godfather of the team. He's respected in the room and around the league. He makes people around him better.

If the team read this post they'd be wondering who the people are that come to the games.

Kissler was probably the only one who thought he was the appointed coming of the team's captain, but he's gone, now we can move on. Beeker is second in command, keeping the boys in line when they think about heading to the Roxy for a night of schnay and redbulls.

Just like the regular 'new jersey' threads, some fans just like to see change for the sake of change.

Hank is very well respected by his team mates and will be a fantastic mentor for the young guys coming up in the next few years. The twins are the most skilled, smartest and hardest working players on the team.

Hank's the top dog.

Archived