The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Canucks Declare the position of Captain is Vacant before Training Camp?

VegasCanuck

Should WD Choose his own team Captain?  

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a stupid poll. We have a great captain already who led us to within one win of a Stanley Cup and donated a ton of his money money to local charities. Taking the C away from a likeable guy like Henrik and not even giving it to someone else right away is so stupid not even Torts would do it if he was still here.

This!

No confusion at all. They're trying to run Thornton out of town.

Maybe I should rephrase: everyone is so confused as to what the Sharks are doing. Or maybe I shouldn't, since I said basically what you said in the second part of my post.

Training camp is a silly place to search for a new captain to begin with.

Its more to finalize the bottom 6 and take a good look at the prospects.

As in past years guys that will make the roster for sure, like the Sedins will barely even play.

I agree that most of the time Hank is a good Captain, however, two prominent times when a Captain needed to lead his team was during the SC Finals and the second part of last year. In my opinion, the Canucks were the far better team against Boston and they first appeared they were going to sweep Boston in the finals. The Canucks became mentally fragile and that led them to lose that series. A Captain plays a big role in leading your team out of those situations. The other example was last years debacle. Again they looked great in the beginning of the season and then the wheels fell off during a very short time period(xmas break). Where was Hank then? He said the same things he always does in his interviews and never really did anything else. I guess seeing Linden in the 94 SC Final and his fight right up until the last minute of game 7 where you see him leaning against the boards after he gave everything, leaves me a little spoiled and having high expectations for a Captain for this team. I don't want an OK Captain I would like to see a GREAT Captain. Call me greedy but I think this leadership role is critical in winning a Stanley Cup.

I voted 'Yes' and in no way consider that an insult to Henrik because he has been a good captain on a veteran team.

The team has new management and coaches so why is a new captain considered off limits? It may well be that WD decides that Henrik is the best choice but since the team is going in a new direction to last season, they should go to camp with a clean slate and have a chance to change the 'message'. There are going to be a number of new Canucks this season and Henrik may not be the guy to lead a younger team. If Henrik was not the captain, it might also remove some pressure from him and just allow him to play hockey...so after a huge drop in production last season, maybe not necessarily a bad move.

If Hank comes out of camp as the captain of choice, I am okay with that as well. Maybe start the year by sharing the 'C' and a clear choice will emerge.

I voted 'Yes' and in no way consider that an insult to Henrik because he has been a good captain on a veteran team.

The team has new management and coaches so why is a new captain considered off limits? It may well be that WD decides that Henrik is the best choice but since the team is going in a new direction to last season, they should go to camp with a clean slate and have a chance to change the 'message'. There are going to be a number of new Canucks this season and Henrik may not be the guy to lead a younger team. If Henrik was not the captain, it might also remove some pressure from him and just allow him to play hockey...so after a huge drop in production last season, maybe not necessarily a bad move.

If Hank comes out of camp as the captain of choice, I am okay with that as well.

even though the players answer to coaches in the chain of command, the canucks aren't going to risk alienating the franchise's all time leading scorer, league mvp winner and captain by stripping him of his letter on the whim of a coach that may only last a season.

henrik has more stroke than desjardins.

Personally I wanted Jovonoski as our captain. Then I wanted Mitchell. Then I wanted Bieksa. Never did it enter my mind that it would be Henrik. And nothing against the guy either, I love what he brings to this franchise and to the community. Well respected by his peers, a leader on and off the ice, with a good work ethic and training regime.

However, I've always thought a captain needs a touch of a mean streak. The ability to play a physical game, and to step up and be one of the first ones to drop the gloves in defence of a player who isn't the fighting type. This isn't Henrik at all. However I don't agree with stripping it off him and letting him earn it back. It should be his til he retires.

Well, seeing how Wiilie D. was gushing over how great a person Henrik is and how much he likes the core (as also stated by Jim B.), I can't see a so-called "selection process" for a captain and alternate captains being contemplated.

Henrik has not been without his critics (especially those who championed Kesler be captain), but he has clearly demonstrated that he's a wonderful leader.

The only times I've been critical of Henrik (and Daniel) is when their playoff performance come into question, but then I look at his playoff numbers (99GP - 22G - 52A - 74TP - 56PIM) and ask myself, "self, what's wrong with you?".

IMO, Hank has been a model leader, who appears to have the full and complete respect of his teammates, coaching staff, management, hockey staff, support staff, and media for the most part (including Bitchford even though he wrote an article questioning/rationalizing why Sedins seem to be free of criticism)...there just seems to be a small segment of the fan base that question Hank as captain every year.

Personally I wanted Jovonoski as our captain. Then I wanted Mitchell. Then I wanted Bieksa. Never did it enter my mind that it would be Henrik. And nothing against the guy either, I love what he brings to this franchise and to the community. Well respected by his peers, a leader on and off the ice, with a good work ethic and training regime.

However, I've always thought a captain needs a touch of a mean streak. The ability to play a physical game, and to step up and be one of the first ones to drop the gloves in defence of a player who isn't the fighting type. This isn't Henrik at all. However I don't agree with stripping it off him and letting him earn it back. It should be his til he retires.

gretzky, yzerman, sakic, ron francis, mario lemieux, sidney crosby, jonathan toews, scott niedermayer, ray bourque ...

Well, seeing how Wiilie D. was gushing over how great a person Henrik is and how much he likes the core (as also stated by Jim B.), I can't see a so-called "selection process" for a captain and alternate captains being contemplated.

Henrik has not been without his critics (especially those who championed Kesler be captain), but he has clearly demonstrated that he's a wonderful leader.

The only times I've been critical of Henrik (and Daniel) is when their playoff performance come into question, but then I look at his playoff numbers (99GP - 22G - 52A - 74TP - 56PIM) and ask myself, "self, what's wrong with you?".

IMO, Hank has been a model leader, who appears to have the full and complete respect of his teammates, coaching staff, management, hockey staff, support, and media for the most part (including Bitchford even though he wrote an article questioning/rationalizing why Sedins seem to be free of criticism)...there just seems to be a small segment of the fan base that question Hank as captain every year.

I would think any year that doesn't end with the Stanley Cup being paraded down Robson you'll have people questioning anything they can.

And god. I can't stand Botchford. The head wiggle during his Stud or Dud segment on TSN makes me want to snap.

Archived