The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

I still can't believe MG gave the guy a 2-year deal! Nice guy to have around if you want to give the impression that your team won't be pushed around. I just wish he'd actually win once in a while when he drops the gloves. Would rather see 4 scoring lines rather than 3 and a goon line, which is what he's obviously suited for and was brought here for. With Vey still VERY unproven at the NHL level (why so many at this board have taken to him so quickly when we really don't know much about him I don't know. Just because he came from the Kings?), he'd be the 13th forward, not Sestito. In a perfect world.

I don't think Tom has a future with this club (as a player) beyond this season, assuming he survives it (or even begins it) as a Canuck.

I thought Tom played alright last year. He had a few nice goals and some other chances, I don't see how he gets stereotyped as a goon by everyone (he's not even that good at fighting lol).

Maybe he can't handle more than 5 minutes a game, maybe he can, but no one knows until WD gives him a shot. If he can't handle the ice-time, then he goes.

I respect Sestito for actually committing himself to getting better by improving his speed and awareness defensively and offensively among a few other things. I'm interested to see if he's upped his game a bit more knowing that there is a lot more competition for a bottom six role now.

I don't know how he's gonna fit into the Canucks this year but i'm hoping we get to see more improvement from him.

“I’m not looking for him to fight — I’m looking for him to make a play — and don’t want him to go and look for one (fight) . That’s not what we need. He can be an every-day player, but it’s tough to be an every-day player. You have to go hard. You have to be able to play good minutes and 10 minutes a night and push yourself. So, it’s a different role and it might take him some time to adjust to that. He had good skill and can be a heavy body and good on the forecheck. He’s got attributes that can help our team and he’s going to get pushed and be ready to accept a bit of a different role" - Willie Desjardins on Tom Sestito

Interested in how WillieD tries to work him into a different role.

I respect Sestito for actually committing himself to getting better by improving his speed and awareness defensively and offensively among a few other things. I'm interested to see if he's upped his game a bit more knowing that there is a lot more competition for a bottom six role now.

I don't know how he's gonna fit into the Canucks this year but i'm hoping we get to see more improvement from him.

“I’m not looking for him to fight — I’m looking for him to make a play — and don’t want him to go and look for one (fight) . That’s not what we need. He can be an every-day player, but it’s tough to be an every-day player. You have to go hard. You have to be able to play good minutes and 10 minutes a night and push yourself. So, it’s a different role and it might take him some time to adjust to that. He had good skill and can be a heavy body and good on the forecheck. He’s got attributes that can help our team and he’s going to get pushed and be ready to accept a bit of a different role" - Willie Desjardins on Tom Sestito

Interested in how WillieD tries to work him into a different role.

I see Sestito being able to bring more to the table than just fighting. He showed he is capable of making plays last season.

I see Sestito being able to bring more to the table than just fighting. He showed he is capable of making plays last season.

He did? So a -14 (tied for 2nd worst on the team amongst forwards) in only 5 minutes of icetime a game is "capable of making plays"? I think not. His reaction to Nolan's ATTEMPTED hit on Sedin perfectly illustrated what is (still) wrong with this team. For his troubles we had to kill a richly deserved SEVEN MINUTE power play because he decided to "Bertuzzi" the offender during a face off (some here are calling it a "fight" but Nolan never even got his gloves off). If anybody has a clip of Tom winning a fight (and by this I mean an actual fight, not a mugging) decisively in a Canuck uniform I would be glad to see it because I have never seen him win one and I watch almost every game. I think he is beyond useless. Doubt he even makes the team with the new regime in charge.

He did? So a -14 (tied for 2nd worst on the team amongst forwards) in only 5 minutes of icetime a game is "capable of making plays"? I think not. His reaction to Nolan's ATTEMPTED hit on Sedin perfectly illustrated what is (still) wrong with this team. For his troubles we had to kill a richly deserved SEVEN MINUTE power play because he decided to "Bertuzzi" the offender during a face off (some here are calling it a "fight" but Nolan never even got his gloves off). If anybody has a clip of Tom winning a fight (and by this I mean an actual fight, not a mugging) decisively in a Canuck uniform I would be glad to see it because I have never seen him win one and I watch almost every game. I think he is beyond useless. Doubt he even makes the team with the new regime in charge.

Most players on the canucks had terrible +/- last year, that doesn't really mean anything. Nolan was attempting to send Henrik to the dressing room with that charge, I think Sestito played his role perfectly, and I'm pretty sure most people would agree that Nolan should have answered for that crap. It's not the first time that plug has taken cheap shots at our top line guys.

I don't think teams should start a fight after every clean hit, but Nolan was going in for the kill and Tom stepped up.

I agree. We saw some pretty nice plays from him last year. His biggest problem seemed to be that he was either told or otherwise got the impression that he was there just to fight. It's nice to have a guy who can stand up for our guys when needed, but the days of otherwise useless enforcers are over. He needs to be reminded that he is a hockey player first and foremost and encouraged to bring his full set of skills to each game. That would not only be better for him physically (and mentally I'm sure), it'd be better for the team to have him helping out rather than taking himself out of the game with another unnecessary fight.

I agree. We saw some pretty nice plays from him last year. His biggest problem seemed to be that he was either told or otherwise got the impression that he was there just to fight. It's nice to have a guy who can stand up for our guys when needed, but the days of otherwise useless enforcers are over. He needs to be reminded that he is a hockey player first and foremost and encouraged to bring his full set of skills to each game. That would not only be better for him physically (and mentally I'm sure), it'd be better for the team to have him helping out rather than taking himself out of the game with another unnecessary fight.

He does make decent plays and have a good wrist shot, but he takes half a hour to get up to speed. Dorstito on the other hand has everything Sestito has and a little more. Tommy Sestito is Tommy Toastito.

Personally I don't know a lot about him but its clear from reading everyone's opinions here he needs to prove hes capable of contributing to the brand of hockey we want to play. Coming to camp 10 pounds lighter is a good first step but he has to prove he can adapt on the fly. If he does stay on the team it will likely be imo as the 13th forward. I just cant see him beating out Matthias, Hansen, Richardson, Horvat, Dorsett, Higgins, and Vey.

He will either remain as a 13th forward or be moved out with another bottom six piece or two to make room for some of the younger players: Lain, Kenins, Archy, or Horvat.

Sesitio imo will probably be kept to work on his fitness and to see if he can prove he is capable of playing good minutes on this squad. If he isn't capable he will probably be dealt by January. (I dont think our GM wants to hold onto assets that arent directly helping the team. Be more beneficial to have someone liike Jensen hanging around. I personally think Jensen's going to make the team.)

So you are suggesting that there is a fundamental dysfunction with this team, that dates back to the Moore incident, in which they are pathologically required to sucker punch players? A trend that happened to survive an owner change, 4 GMs, 4 coaches, and only two remaining players on the roster?

Is that correct?

So you are suggesting that there is a fundamental dysfunction with this team, that dates back to the Moore incident, in which they are pathologically required to sucker punch players? A trend that happened to survive an owner change, 4 GMs, 4 coaches, and only two remaining players on the roster?

Is that correct?

Way to put words in my mouth. Thanks for that.

What I AM saying is that if every time anybody takes a run at one of our "soft" players (whether they connect or not) we have our gorilla go all postal on him the way Sestito did (or Bert did way back when) then we will be one of the easiest teams in the league to play against. Just play the soft guys tough and kill 'em on the power play. Easy.

Way to put words in my mouth. Thanks for that.

What I AM saying is that if every time anybody takes a run at one of our "soft" players (whether they connect or not) we have our gorilla go all postal on him the way Sestito did (or Bert did way back when) then we will be one of the easiest teams in the league to play against. Just play the soft guys tough and kill 'em on the power play. Easy.

Since when is asking for clarification considered "putting words in your mouth"? Regardless, it sounded like you were (and it still does) trying to draw a connection between the two incidents, as if there is some underlying theme that we are dealing with.

Although, I thought this incident (Sestito) was stupid, I also throughly enjoyed watching Nolan take a small beating - because he is a worm. He took a run at our captain, leader, and best player and it wasn't the first time. He'ĺl keep doing it too if he knows he'll get away with it. That is the crap that has to stop. That is were the worst injuries occur, not in the fights afterwords. If Nolan doesn't take a run at Sedin, this incident doesn't exist and until the league begins punishing for intent, there is no other way to protect our stars with worms like Nolan in it.

To be honest have been wondering what the team plans to do with him - he shouldn't take a regular shift and be on the 4th line if we are going to roll them, I agree. That said getting our lunch money stolen is demoralizing and Dorsett is one of the worst fighters in the league at his class - and don't want to see him taking on the heavy weights and go the same way Prust went in Montreal without Parros or anyone else to line up when that is what is happening in the game. Would keep him on the team and use him sparingly, in games against other teams who having this sort of player around keeps things safer.

I like Sestito,

I would be happy if the Canucks upgraded with the likes of say a Maroon, Boleg, Burns, Matt Greene, McGratton, Neil or Thornton (but he is now too old) but the problem is the Canucks do not draft or trade for these types of players.

Currently Dan Hamhius is the second largest D-man at 209#.

If the Canucks don't keep or replace Sestito with a player of equal or greater size, they will be left with Kassian, Dorsett and Bieksa carrying the heavy weight load. That is not promising.

Sestito is a great guy to dress in certain situations. These situations, unfortunately for him, come up in the regular season and not so much in the playoffs.

It's great to have a guy who can play the heavy game. He demonstrated to management that he will fight guys like John Scott. Who else would on the Canucks? I know what Dejardains said about fighting and how it is down the list of qualities that will cause a player to make this team. Sestito is smart and addressed his speed during the off season by dropping a few pounds.

Having said all that, with Markstrom clearing waivers (GREAT NEWS), the Canucks may carry 14 forwards. This puts a guy like Sestito in tough against Jenson, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Matthias, Richardson, and Dorsett. In Sestito's favour, he has to clear waivers in order to be sent down (unlike Jensen and Shinkaruk) so its a more difficult decision. He is a known quantity and has no developmental upside, unlike Matthias.

I suspect that Sestito and Horvat will be carried as the extra forwards. This means that the 4th line is likely to be Richardson, Matthias and Dorsett. Horvat will see spot duty until he has played his 9 games then the tough decision will be made on him.

On the D side, Corrado does not have to clear waivers so there is more flexibility with respect to carrying 1 or 2 extra defense.

I don't disagree with anything you say except preferring him to the young guys.

He is a great character guy who made some nice plays and did exactly what the coaches asked him last year.

Different coaches, different system though.

All Desjardins has been talking about is dictating the pace and rolling four lines. That screams "not Sestito" in my books. Even if you assume his linemates will get some PK time while he is stapled to the bench, he would still be expected to play 10+ minutes a game in the new regime and that is a lot to ask for him to do at a high pace.

Some of it depends on injuries in the pre-season... but if we are healthy at the start of the regular season I see this as our starting roster:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Vey-Hansen

Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Horvat

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Edler-Tanev

Sbisa-Weber

Stanton

Miller

Lack

(Markstrom may still be there but could easily be gone if another team gets a goalie injury)

I agree with this this line up. Hope Willie does too.

Archived