The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future of Tom Sestito (Merged)

Provost

I've been thinking the same thing and throw Dorsett into this too because from what I've seen they have looked horrible at pretty much every part of the game this preseason.

I see lots of new or young guns looking far better then them that could really help this team in what should be a complete dog fight to make the playoffs or better.

To be honest have been wondering what the team plans to do with him - he shouldn't take a regular shift and be on the 4th line if we are going to roll them, I agree. That said getting our lunch money stolen is demoralizing and Dorsett is one of the worst fighters in the league at his class - and don't want to see him taking on the heavy weights and go the same way Prust went in Montreal without Parros or anyone else to line up when that is what is happening in the game. Would keep him on the team and use him sparingly, in games against other teams who having this sort of player around keeps things safer.

Dorsett Vs Sestito I don't think we have to worry too much about the difference between the two in fighting ability.

Since the Canucks need to get bigger and in a hurry why isn't Sestito front and center. Yes he can fight but he also scored 42 goals in junior. If he stays in a fighting role then that is who he will be forever. Dorset will be the sparkplug the Canucks have been missing desperately for sometime and will be a great addition but he didn't score 40 goals in junior. Size is what has killed the Canucks the last 3 years. I would like to see him given a chance to see if he can be a big presence in front of an opposition's net that causes problems for their defense and goalie.

Since the Canucks need to get bigger and in a hurry why isn't Sestito front and center. Yes he can fight but he also scored 42 goals in junior. If he stays in a fighting role then that is who he will be forever. Dorset will be the sparkplug the Canucks have been missing desperately for sometime and will be a great addition but he didn't score 40 goals in junior. Size is what has killed the Canucks the last 3 years. I would like to see him given a chance to see if he can be a big presence in front of an opposition's net that causes problems for their defense and goalie.

In Junior glacial like speed can be masked by a good shot. Sestito has a good shot. Sestito is waiver bait in 2-3 weeks.

Sestito was also about 6 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier that his competition in junior. It kind helps...

Waive him. He can't skate, takes dumb-ass penalties and looks terrified every time he drops the gloves.

Pros:

-shows some talent in the offensive end

-does seem to genuinely want to stick up for his teammates

-big and reckless and occasionally lands a huge hit

Cons:

-is absolutely lost when defending; I lost track of how many times last season the team was pinned in their end and he was chasing frantically after the puck

-skating (looks like there's been a sllllight improvement)

-seems to have a knack for ill advised antics

-unlikely to ever get the benefit of the doubt from the refs after the Boxing Hobo incident

-big and reckless and occasionally lands a huge hit, on himself, into the boards

Overall the cons outweigh the pros. I don't mind having him around as a spare if there's room with injuries, but he should not be taking a spot away from anyone else. Just my 2¢.

I watched Dorset on Game Center all last season (because AV was coaching) and the guy has a lot to offer. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

I like Sestito's gameness but if it came to a choice I would definitely keep Dorset.

In all honesty neither are what I would ideally have in the team but until we get someone else we need to keep at least one of them. We are in the "wild" West after all and what the Oilers brought will be nothing like what some of the other teams will lay on us.

We can decry fighting all day long but sometimes someone has to pay and if we don't have anyone available these teams will take liberties.

There is no point in naming guys like Shink to take Sestito's place on the roster because they do different jobs. I think we should wave TS and do our best to get a quality player who can fight when he has to.

Boston are full of them.

I like Sestito,

I would be happy if the Canucks upgraded with the likes of say a Maroon, Boleg, Burns, Matt Greene, McGratton, Neil or Thornton (but he is now too old) but the problem is the Canucks do not draft or trade for these types of players.

Currently Dan Hamhius is the second largest D-man at 209#.

If the Canucks don't keep or replace Sestito with a player of equal or greater size, they will be left with Kassian, Dorsett and Bieksa carrying the heavy weight load. That is not promising.

Sbisa is no shrinking violet when it comes to stepping up for a team mate either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPTIUoLj8Y

This is the guy who decked Bieksa

Tom doesn't hesitate and we need a bit of loose cannon that sends the "don't mess with us" message. Whether he can fight or not, he's willing to.

He'll have to curb it a bit...don't want to have a whole bunch of short handed minutes. But I like his willingness to jump in and say no. Isn't that what we've cried about in the past?

EDIT: just read riffraff's comment. Yep, nailed it.

I appreciate that Sestito is willing to step up and defend our team but he just doesn't bring enough hockey acumen for today's game. Fully aware he has had some offensive success at other levels but it hasn't manifested itself at the NHL level.

We do require toughness but I'm afraid Sestito is the square peg for a round hole.

He's not an every day NHL'er. He's not an NHL'er period if not for fighting. Great teammate, great guy, and there is still some need for an enforcer in today's game, but he's not very good at it.

He led the league in penalty minutes and never got injured. I'd say he's not that bad at it. I think most people think of Boogaurd or Scott when they think of enforcers, someone who never loses. Tom tied more than he lost and won some as well. Plus he is 3x the player boogie and Scott ever were (not saying much).

Sestito is a villan, he's a big one and between dorsett sestito kassian bieksa and burrows we got one very very annoying team to play against I think getting rid of that is a huge mistake I feel his presence not every game but in every emotional game. I hope they run a 4th line of dorsett Richardson and Sestito

Alfstonker

with due respect to Sbisa, he is fighting in the same weight class as Bieksa and Dorset, 6'1" 205

and though he is willing, those were not good fights, mostly clumsy haymakers, with few landing and all fights ending quickly with a take down.

A for effort

and

A for not biting off more than he can chew

Archived