The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is NJ Primed To Surprise In The East?

theminister

I also see the Caps having a rebound but both Philly and Detroit are suitable targets for the Devils.

The Islanders are the team that may make a big jump from below to make life difficult.

I think Philly makes it. They finished 6th last season due to a very slow start. I agree with you on Detroit though, their playoff streak looks to be in jeopardy.

The way the team is built the regular season will continue to be a bit of a grind for them, they could start by winning a shootout. That being said if stay healthy and new players buy in they will work well in the playoffs. The East is filled with paper tigers like TB, MTL, Pitts and Philly they all had fairly obvious fatal flaws in the playoffs.

Really at the end of the day the only 2 teams in the east have any sort of identity right now are Boston and NYR. And those 2 teams shed talent this off season.

For the most part I think its open season in the east right now. Its scary bad compared to the west thats for sure.

Good perspective, but I still don't think they have the offence to really be a threat. Make the playoffs? Maybe with good defence and excellent goaltending, but they'll need to score to win games.

While that's a considerable concern, and it was never my intent to state otherwise, in a defensive system with excellent goaltending there can be a very fine line between success and failure. With only a marginal improvement on goal scoring, shoot-outs or goals against, they could have a vastly different record.

GF 197 (27th) - GA 208 (8th) - 35-29-18 (88)

Let's look at the seasons of a few of the other teams last year for comparison...

Mtl - GF 215 - GA 204 - 46-28-8 (100)

Min - GF 207 - GA 206 - 43-27-12 (98)

Phi - GF 236 - GA 235 - 42-30-10 (95)

The main suggestion I'm making in this article is simply that, in the tight balance of current NHL, a slight increase in scoring or decrease in scoring could have a dramatic effect on playoff placement.

Whether the games be 2-1, 1-0, or won in OT, I don't think NJ cares.

High-end talent isn't there, team is a bit too one dimensional. They won't make the playoffs, last season Schneider kept them in the game when they could only score 1-2 goals a game.

NJ was 27th in goals per game and their forward group is built off UFAs. It was terrible management trying to build this team, should have rebuilt the team because they're not getting anywhere with a old UFA core that is full of offensive players.

I'm certain the management had their decision making process severely affected by not having their 1st round pick and by the financial constraints put on them. Desperate to maintain what meagre revenue they had, while being indebted to the NHL for their expenses, it's understandable that making the playoffs is their main goal over a complete rebuild. Remember that the team went to the SCF recently at that had a major effect on their books...which is noticeably their major concern ATM.

Regardless of what personal opinion is of what they should have done, something that those if us outside of their boardroom cannot know the full picture of, that is not the point of the article. The point is....with what they DO have, is it enough to make the playoffs? I'm arguing it may very well be despite outward appearances.

It's much easier for a defense first team to turn around their point totals by chipping in a few more and getting some luck than it is for a juggernaut offense with a porous D to tighten up their zone coverage. NJ won't blow away anyone but they may sneak out a few more wins in close games than most would think.

They're definitely a name team who can get it done, and even with the mishmash cast Sweet Lou still has a decent group with a proven track record. That being said, will they get it done? As mentioned their horses up front aren't getting any younger and I think that once their older leaders start getting injured they might not have enough depth of scoring in their young guns that they can bring up to keep up with the other teams' firepower. If they prove me wrong and Schneids stands on his head again then they could be a tough out.

I'm certain the management had their decision making process severely affected by not having their 1st round pick and by the financial constraints put on them. Desperate to maintain what meagre revenue they had, while being indebted to the NHL for their expenses, it's understandable that making the playoffs is their main goal over a complete rebuild. Remember that the team went to the SCF recently at that had a major effect on their books...which is noticeably their major concern ATM.

Regardless of what personal opinion is of what they should have done, something that those if us outside of their boardroom cannot know the full picture of, that is not the point of the article. The point is....with what they DO have, is it enough to make the playoffs? I'm arguing it may very well be despite outward appearances.

It's much easier for a defense first team to turn around their point totals by chipping in a few more and getting some luck than it is for a juggernaut offense with a porous D to tighten up their zone coverage. NJ won't blow away anyone but they may sneak out a few more wins in close games than most would think.

Losing Parise and Kovalchuk obviously hurt their chances to get back into the SCF but even without the 2014 1st rounder, trade some players and start a overhaul. They aren't getting anything done this year with that roster and their prospect pool is weak, just waiting till someone pulls the plug on this team. Whenever it happens, Lou will probably get the door although he shouldn't.

Something unsaid to any great degree in this thread is that Jersey was EASILY the best possession club in the competition not to make the play off's last year.

They hold the puck and out shoot teams regularly, routinely. Perhaps because the legs are old, they don't burst in creating the highest quality chances. But the theory of Corsi suggests all those extra shots will average out and they will score more. Add to it they added speed and considerable sniping capacity in Cammaleri. That should be a lock to get a few more goals.

Havlat is also new, more of a yawner on first look but has scored well with Elias playing for their national team. If he adds a second scoring threat Jersey could be a legit?

The post makes the point they are deep, solid on D and have one of the leagues best tenders primed to add 30 games of effectiveness.

Wouldn't you love to have a young 3rd pairing on D of Gelinas and Larsen? In a few years that could be one of the leagues best pairings, and its their depth pair. Stacked on D even if some wont be excited by the names.

Missed is they have another stud young D prospect pending, Damon Severson. I think Plum missed that. A two way smooth skating right hander, with excellent puck skills and offensive instincts also might make their line up. He's from that D factory up the Coquihalla in Kelowna. He's no worse than top 50 amongst prospects in the world according to many. Ahead of all our prospects except Virtanen and Horvat? He could be the trade bait, considering their depth on D, to find a sniping winger and get their scoring on track.

If their old guys stay healthy I believe they are a serious chance to make the play off's. For fun I have Boston, TB, Detroit as the class of the east, CLB (if RJ is back) and Was then MTL and NYR taking a step back but next. I think Jersey will knock off pathetic defensively Philly and its just a dogfight to beat Pitt. Nice article Minister!

Oh, would love to be the team that grabs Severson to give Jersey their winger. Jensen or Shinkaruk, let them choose...

People that know me know that I am a huge Devils fan. I truly love this post, OP.

I love how much you dive into it and show the doubters how much potential and depth the Devils really have.

People don't realize how many promising rookies they have coming up and how many have already proved they are NHL-worthy. Others have said their prospect pool is weak, but I don't think so.

Larsson, Merrill and Gelinas are already ready on D, along with Severson on the way. Boucher has already looked great and has a ton of upside, along with Matteau. Josefson has a lot of promise as well.

With Schneider in net, they are solid in that position and definitely don't have a problem keeping out goals. They just lack the scoring after the departure of Parise and Kovalchuk.

I think they'll make the playoffs for sure.

Five stars theminister.

Always love a well-thought out post.

I like the Devils shot at a playoff spot. No shortage of character whatsoever - as long as they get enough fibre as DMo suggested lol.

Gotta like their young blueliners.

As Surfer has suggested elsewhere, perhaps a hockey trade of prospects for Severson sending one of our young RW or C prospects their way would make sense.

NYR loses Derek Stepan, CAR loses Jordan Staal..

Ryan Johansen has not signed with CBJ, Malkin still hasn't practiced for PIT and Giroux is also injured and will not return until PHI's pre-season is over..

A lot of trouble in the Metropolitan before the season's even started.

People that know me know that I am a huge Devils fan. I truly love this post, OP.

I love how much you dive into it and show the doubters how much potential and depth the Devils really have.

People don't realize how many promising rookies they have coming up and how many have already proved they are NHL-worthy. Others have said their prospect pool is weak, but I don't think so.

Larsson, Merrill and Gelinas are already ready on D, along with Severson on the way. Boucher has already looked great and has a ton of upside, along with Matteau. Josefson has a lot of promise as well.

With Schneider in net, they are solid in that position and definitely don't have a problem keeping out goals. They just lack the scoring after the departure of Parise and Kovalchuk.

I think they'll make the playoffs for sure.

Damn, it hurts to see that Severson is on the way for you guys and that Schneider in your net..

Makes me yell a lot of bad words that would get censored here.

Clowe, Havlat and Ruutu had injury riddled careers. Like someone else had said their core is way passed their prime. The names look intimidating only because of their performance yesteryears.

The youth on D looks interesting though.

Tampa is like the opposite. Look for that team to lead the East.

NYR loses Derek Stepan, CAR loses Jordan Staal..

Ryan Johansen has not signed with CBJ, Malkin still hasn't practiced for PIT and Giroux is also injured and will not return until PHI's pre-season is over..

A lot of trouble in the Metropolitan before the season's even started.

Giroux was back on the ice yesterday. NJ will miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight year. Too old and I'm not sold that Schneider is the answer in net.

Archived