The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brenden Dillon and Dallas Struggling In Contract Talks

Plum

The agent for defenseman Brenden Dillon said he made a two-year offer for $1.9 million a season on Tuesday and was turned down by the Stars, creating a situation where negotiations might have to “go back to the drawing board.”

Because Dillon is a restricted free agent with no arbitration rights, he has little leverage other than to sit at home and hope the Stars decide they need him for the season opener on Oct. 9.

Bousquet said the Stars are trying to look at a three-year deal for Dillon, but that he still is focused on a two-year bridge deal.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/09/agent-for-brenden-dillon-said-stars-turned-down-a-two-year-offer-at-1-9-million-a-year-on-tuesday.html/

Alot of contract struggles this off-season but how can Dallas turn down 2 years for 1.9$ per season for a young, top 4 defenceman.

I would love to get Dillon here, big, strong, physical defenceman who knows how to play a two-way game. He would look great beside Tanev as a shutdown pair, Tanev is the one with the better defensive stick but Dillon is better at the body and physically wearing opponents down.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Dillon-Tanev

Edler-Leddy

^ That would be one of the most valuable top 6 in the league. Obviously it's not reality but Edler got a PMD on his pairing, a young shutdown pairing and the do it all pairing in Hamhuis and Bieksa.

It's not a struggle. Stars are just being dicks.

Dillon offered 2 years @ $1.9 mill per and Dallas never accepted!? Are the fracking nuts?? He's a core piece to their already weak defense and declining that is just ludicrous. I mean, he could easy pocket $2.5-$3 with a bridge and he's lowered his price quite a bit.

He's primed for a break-out year, especially if he gets time to play with Seguin or Spezza who love using their defence men in the rush. Could really rack up 30-40 points easily which is why a bridge contract is dangerous for Dallas here. Those forwards would make him look a lot better than he actually is.

Guest Dasein

It's not a struggle. Stars are just being dicks.

Dillon offered 2 years @ $1.9 mill per and Dallas never accepted!? Are the fracking nuts?? He's a core piece to their already weak defense and declining that is just ludicrous. I mean, he could easy pocket $2.5-$3 with a bridge and he's lowered his price quite a bit.

Noooo... PK's bridge was in that range you just mentioned.

Keep in mind this guy had the exact same numbers (6G11A 17P) as Tanev (TANEV of all people!) - except Tanev played 16 games less than Dillon - and Dillon plays on a whole lot more talented Dallas Stars club that scored way more goals.

So his comparable is probably Chris Tanev - both undrafted top 4 defensemen with limited offensive production, and while he is more physical than Tanev, I think Tanev plays a smarter defensive game.

Tanev took 1.5 last year and he 2.0 this year - both are 1-year deals, and since Dillon is asking for a 2-year deal, somewhere in between 1.5-2.0 would be ideal for Dillon. Dillon's offer of 1.9 is within that ballpark, but it's harder to swallow a deal closer to 2.0 than 1.5 with a guy like Dillon IMO. He needs to come closer towards 1.5 and away from 2.0.

Also, the Stars don't need him as much - their farm team are the defending AHL champions. A couple defensemen (Jamie Oleksiak and Patrick Nemeth) from that squad have made the final 23-man roster, and they are just biting chomps at the opportunity of making their NHL debuts and Dillon forgettable if he doesn't sign soon.

If I'm Dillon I come back real quick with a lower number for 2 years or sign a 3-year deal and ask for a little more.

Guest Dasein

He's primed for a break-out year, especially if he gets time to play with Seguin or Spezza who love using their defence men in the rush. Could really rack up 30-40 points easily which is why a bridge contract is dangerous for Dallas here. Those forwards would make him look a lot better than he actually is.

Then they would know and trade him on his final year when his value is high to a team willing to overpay, and laugh.

They have other defenders in their system that can replace him.

Noooo... PK's bridge was in that range you just mentioned.

Keep in mind this guy had the exact same numbers (6G11A 17P) as Tanev (TANEV of all people!) - except Tanev played 16 games less than Dillon - and Dillon plays on a whole lot more talented Dallas Stars club that scored way more goals.

So his comparable is probably Chris Tanev - both undrafted top 4 defensemen with limited offensive production, and while he is more physical than Tanev, I think Tanev plays a smarter defensive game.

Tanev took 1.5 last year and he 2.0 this year - both are 1-year deals, and since Dillon is asking for a 2-year deal, somewhere in between 1.5-2.0 would be ideal for Dillon. Dillon's offer of 1.9 is within that ballpark, but it's harder to swallow a deal closer to 2.0 than 1.5 with a guy like Dillon IMO. He needs to come closer towards 1.5 and away from 2.0.

Also, the Stars don't need him as much - their farm team are the defending AHL champions. A couple defensemen (Jamie Oleksiak and Patrick Nemeth) from that squad have made the final 23-man roster, and they are just biting chomps at the opportunity of making their NHL debuts and Dillon forgettable if he doesn't sign soon.

If I'm Dillon I come back real quick with a lower number for 2 years or sign a 3-year deal and ask for a little more.

He might not have to come down at all. There has been no indication if 2 years at 1.9 is the actual salary or just the contract terms. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a relatively low figure this year and a much higher one next. Maybe something along the lines of 1 and 2.8. That would force them to qualify him at 2.8 (or file for arbitration) regardless of whether he was worth it or not.

Guest Dasein

Dillon will be one of the best shut down defenders in the league five years down the road, his nasty side is a huge bonus too. The Stars would be stupid to draw this out for much longer.

No man. He's not that special.

Dallas will be absolutely fine without Dillon this season if he doesn't play with the rise of Oleksiak and Nemeth.

Archived