The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lack vs Markstrom

Junkyard Dog

Lack vs Markstrom  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Markstrom has been incredible in the AHL so far only letting in one goal in 4 games. Perhaps he will be good enough to play backup for Miller next year?

Lack has a good attitude and is a pretty decent goalie but can you see him becoming a starting goalie for us when Miller is gone?

Markstrom is a RFA next year and I doubt he will fall through waivers again next season if he continues his stellar play.

That means either Eddie or Jacob will have to be moved, but who? This is more of a end of the season decision

Discuss.

Best case scenario:

Lack gets traded to a team in need of a goalie for a pick(s) in this years deep draft, Markstrom gets called up and develops which lets Miller be the team's undisputed #1, allowing Ericsson in Utica to have the crease to himself. Look even further down the scope (3-5 years), Miller is gone due to age/retirement/team needs, Markstrom/Ericsson in net while Markstrom is a starter, and you have Demko in Utica.

Wishful thinking yes.

Lack would bring us a bigger return and hasn't fared well this season in a small sample size but honestly I'd rather try and run with a tandem of Lack-Markstrom for a year or two first before trading one of them. Wait until Miller's contract's up, then have Lack and Markstrom playing a 50-30 split and then trade one of them when their stock is super high. Basically, it's like waiting for the Luongo-Schneider situation again but this time we don't mess it up.

We obviously keep the better goalie (eg. Lack), and trade Markstrom who by then has played 30 NHL games and fared very well in them. That sort of goalie (akin to say Kreumper) would fetch us a future top-4 defenceman easily, which is what we desperately need.

Lack would bring us a bigger return and hasn't fared well this season in a small sample size but honestly I'd rather try and run with a tandem of Lack-Markstrom for a year or two first before trading one of them. Wait until Miller's contract's up, then have Lack and Markstrom playing a 50-30 split and then trade one of them when their stock is super high. Basically, it's like waiting for the Luongo-Schneider situation again but this time we don't mess it up.

We obviously keep the better goalie (eg. Lack), and trade Markstrom who by then has played 30 NHL games and fared very well in them. That sort of goalie (akin to say Kreumper) would fetch us a future top-4 defenceman easily, which is what we desperately need.

We will lose Markstrom to waivers next season for sure so we probably won't get to see a Lack/Markstrom tandem.

Best case scenario:

Lack gets traded to a team in need of a goalie for a pick(s) in this years deep draft, Markstrom gets called up and develops which lets Miller be the team's undisputed #1, allowing Ericsson in Utica to have the crease to himself. Look even further down the scope (3-5 years), Miller is gone due to age/retirement/team needs, Markstrom/Ericsson in net while Markstrom is a starter, and you have Demko in Utica.

Wishful thinking yes.

I think developing young goalies under our starters will be a repeating scenario for a long time.

Schneider: Developed under Luongo

Lack: Developed under Luongo and Miller

Markstrom: Develops under Miller until he's ready to take over

Demko: Develops under Markstrom until ready to take over

And so on.

So much WILL change down the road.

Everyone is acting like we will have the exact same goaltender depth in 3 years.

In my opinion Eddy lack is the odd man out of the equation. Ryan Miller is the undisputed #1.

Lack will rot in the shadow of Miller, he needs to be part of a tandem at this stage of his career.

This would be the perfect environment to groom a young goaltender that just a short time ago was the next elite goaltending prospect to make the leap and may still be.

Losing Eddy Lack will not negatively impact this organization at all whatsoever. However he will not fetch a lucrative return. You might get a project prospect with upside and a 3-4th round pick for him.

I often have trouble with polls.

1. It isn't clear the trade deadline is going to be the right time to make a trade. Teams dealing with goalie trouble would typically make a move earlier, unless the trouble comes from injury.

2. Assuming management has confidence in both goalies to do a good job as Miller's backup and that either one would be happy in that role through 2017, it comes down to who will fetch the best return.

Personally I'd have been prepared to enter the season with a Lack/Markstrom tandem and was disappointed the Canucks thought they needed an expensive veteran. It screws up the chance to have Lack and Markstrom in the NHL together (after Markstrom's spring and summer work with Melanson.)

However, in the situation at hand, my guess is that Lack will end up being the better one to move. Lack will probably fetch the higher return. Markstrom, never having been an NHL starter, might be the happier to get to the NHL as a backup knowing he'll get his chance as a starter in 3 yrs.

Both these last two sentences are just guesses, though.

The really tough thing is that either one of them could end up being a star. Lack looked really good until he got worn out last year, and looked really good in preseason. Markstrom has great physical tools, showed a really good work ethic and attitude working with Melanson last spring and summer and has looked spectacular so far in Sweden and in the AHL.

Looking across the league, it doesn't seem like many teams are in need of a young close to NHL ready goalie. Not enough need to give up signifacant value in return. Are hopes are that a contending teams #1 gets injuried prior to deadline and they need a quick replacement, or a goalie around the league cracks underpressure to the point where the team will want to move on and find someone new.

Not a lot of teams are in need of a (26) year old goalie who haven’t really proved to be the real deal. I can’t really say Lack would be an improvement over any other goalies listed.

Ana –Anderson (25) & Gibson (21)

Arz – Smith (32)

Bos – Rask (27)

Buf – Enroth (26), Neuvirth (26)

Cgy – Hiller (32) & Ramo (28)

Car – Ward (30)

Chi – Crawford (29)

Col – Varlamov (26)

CBJ – Bobrovsky (26)

Dal – Lethonen (30)

Det – Howard (30)

Edm- Scrievens (28)

Fla – Luongo (35)

LA – Quick (28)

Min – Kuemper (24)

Mtl – Price (27)

NSh – Rinne (31)

NJ – Schneider (28)

NYI – Halak (29)

NY – Lundqvist (32)

Otw – Ansderson (33), Lehner (23)

Phi – Mason (26)

Pits – Fluery (29)

SJ – Niemi (31)

Stl – Elliot (29), Allen (24)

TB – Bishop (27)

Tor – Bernier (26)

Van – Miller (34), Lack (26), Markstrom (24)

Wsh – Holtby (25)

Wpg – Pavelec (27)

I'm not sure if we are suppose to discuss this. Did the OP say it was ok to discuss?

NVM, i just noticed he did. My bad. How embarrassing.

Markstrom is playing in the AHL. Huge difference. But his hot play will probably have GMs sniffing around and we might actually get something decent for him. Probably JB's plan all along.

Archived