The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Sedins can't be replaced unless we are drafting players like McDavid in the draft. So they are the main offense of this team along with Vrbata. We get rid of them, we might as well swap places with Edmonton. I wouldn't mind trading the Sedins if we could get back players like Seguin in return. To talk about money being tied up to certain players on our team is easy, but the hard question is who you would replace them and what type of impact would it have on our team. Not to mention the fact that we have already gotten ripped off in trades involving core players like Kesler, Luongo and Schneider. Now imagine we trade the Sedins and get some poor return, there would be a riot and the GM might get fired just for that.

Hey, I didnt say anything about trading the Sedins - I think it would be impossible to trade them. Which GM would take on 2 34 year olds at 7 million each? Even Garth Snow would pass on that one.

My argument is that the Sedins are still good enough to keep them respectable because they will get to feast on teams like Calgary, Edmonton etc...when they face elite teams they are not very effective.

The whole name of the game now is for benning to accumulate assets, make some shrewd moves, so that they can spring forward when Sedins + Miller depart.

The future of this team now lies in the fate of the likes of McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Demko etc etc...and whoever they draft in the next 2 years.

Lets see what Benning can do.

Yeah, we do have depth in numbers, but we're thin on top. Henrik ain't elite anymore and we're over matched league wide on the second line. Bottom wise, I agree we're fine.

Henrik is still really good, what we lack is a real 2nd line center. If we have a real good 2nd line C, then Henrik wouldn't always be matched with the other teams top defenders and checkers. Just think of the last time we had 3 really good centers in H. Sedin, Kesler and Malhotra...we won the President's trophy and almost the cup. What we lack is what we got rid of in Kesler and Ehrhoff.

Yeah, after the first period. Hey captain, tell you what...

No no no, didn't you read the GDT and the trade pimps? We need to TRADE that bum Kassian for the mighty Krug. You think it looks bad now with the Cotton Canucks, how's it going to look with Krug trying to handle the Kings in front of the net and the corners?

:picard:

lol, at least maybe this reality slap will wake people up and quell the incessant Kass-hate-ian.

The Kings won more because they carried possession and we spent so much time in our own end defending.

It might be a surprise to some, but a guy like Krug can break that cycle just as easily, probably more so than a Kassian. Look I (like anybody) prefer a 6'1'' 205 lb version of a player who can do what Krug can.

Sometimes a guy who can get to a puck, duck, deke and get out of the zone with possession is a better way to defend.

As opposed to letting the Kings get to a puck and relying on a Kassian to both get it back in the corners. Then get it up ice with possession.

And funny enough LA has Martinez, Muzzin, Doughty, even McNabb. None of these guys are small like Krug, but they all skate and handle the puck as well or better than ANY of our guys. We rely on the first pass rather than D carrying the puck for the most part. The opposite of LA who's best attribute is how quickly and smoothly their D move the puck!

It's our skill on D that needs upgrading. Not our size up front.

This world is so negative, when we win the PGT is only like 4 pages long and this one is already up to 10 already.

The seppuku is strong tonight...

Again, this is actually a good thing. Gives Benning a look at the REAL team, both the good and the bad. Rest assured he's getting a good read on all the players and will make the moves necessary. More changes will come, rest assured, but in a measured and deliberate manner, not knee-jerk panic. Doesn't even really matter if the Canucks miss the playoffs, the plan isn't 1 or 2 years. Just be patient and watch the team transform into a winner (that competes for 60 minutes!) :)

Being outshot so badly is merely a symptom of playing most of the game in our own zone (i.e., being out-played.) LA is a much better overall team than the Canucks at this point in their respective eras, so this shouldn't surprise.

Stretches of successive games like this just remind us that this roster still needs a lot of work to reach the same level as the best in the West (despite our better than expected first half of the season.) I have faith in our management group to make the proper incremental improvements over the coming years (moreso than I ever had under MG.) Hopefully we get more heart and grit, things we need if we ever make the playoffs.

These two are arguably the 2 greatest canucks of all time. But we have to face reality at some point. 34 years old, 7 million each, they cannot be dominant against teams that play them tough and play a tight defensive system. Sure they can feast against Edmonton, Calgary etc but the end of an era is coming. I see their departure lined up with Miller's contract expiration as the start of a new chapter. I hope that Benning can accumulate enough assets to spring the team forward when the Sedins retire.

There is a lot of work to do in the next 3 years.

The Sedins are old guys now, they should be handing the torch to the next generation. Except that there doesn't seem to be anyone there to run with it, which goes to drafting and player development during the Gillis regime. You could see this looming for a few years now.

Not going to be fun,.

The Kings won more because they carried possession and we spent so much time in our own end defending.

It might be a surprise to some, but a guy like Krug can break that cycle just as easily, probably more so than a Kassian. Look I (like anybody) prefer a 6'1'' 205 lb version of a player who can do what Krug can.

Sometimes a guy who can get to a puck, duck, deke and get out of the zone with possession is a better way to defend.

As opposed to letting the Kings get to a puck and relying on a Kassian to both get it back in the corners. Then get it up ice with possession.

And funny enough LA has Martinez, Muzzin, Doughty, even McNabb. None of these guys are small like Krug, but they all skate and handle the puck as well or better than ANY of our guys. We rely on the first pass rather than D carrying the puck for the most part. The opposite of LA who's best attribute is how quickly and smoothly their D move the puck!

It's our skill on D and our size and skill up front that needs upgrading.

Yes! A tonne of offense if generated by a skilled D core....I dont think some of the guys in here understand that.

Stanton, Weber, Sbisa and even Bieksa just cant cut it offensively - even Tanev becomes pretty much useless when he goes past center ice towards the O zone....

aEWpftF.jpg

Miller could have helped things out by skating fowards into Stoll and drawing contact.

Carey price would have skated into Stoll and flopped and then the goal would have been waived off for Stoll impeding his movement. Price is a master of initiating contact and then flopping to get goals waived off. Just ask Pavel datsyuk!

The Sedins are old guys now, they should be handing the torch to the next generation. Except that there doesn't seem to be anyone there to run with it, which goes to drafting and player development during the Gillis regime. You could see this looming for a few years now.

Not going to be fun,.

Yes very true....but drafting in the bottom 10 for a few years didnt help their cause either. They shot all their bullets building up to that 2011 run - they didnt win, now we are going to have to go through some tough times.

Im more excited about following the likes of Virtanen, McCann, Demko etc than actually watching the Canucks this year. I know that they wont win anything this year - their whole strategy has to be on phasing in a new core ...this has to coincide with the departure of the likes of the Sedins, Miller, Bieksa etc....

Hey, I didnt say anything about trading the Sedins - I think it would be impossible to trade them. Which GM would take on 2 34 year olds at 7 million each? Even Garth Snow would pass on that one.

My argument is that the Sedins are still good enough to keep them respectable because they will get to feast on teams like Calgary, Edmonton etc...when they face elite teams they are not very effective.

The whole name of the game now is for benning to accumulate assets, make some shrewd moves, so that they can spring forward when Sedins + Miller depart.

The future of this team now lies in the fate of the likes of McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Demko etc etc...and whoever they draft in the next 2 years.

Lets see what Benning can do.

Well, what we need is a real 2nd line. We are technically a one line team with lots of depth at lines 3 and 4. The 2nd line is just not made of good 2nd line players that could supplement the Sedins. If you look at LA's top 2 lines, they have Kopitar, Gaborik, Williams, Pearson, Toffoli and Carter. Thats on top of players that could play on the 2nd line like Richards, Brown and Stoll. You really think we wouldn't dominate if the Sedins had the same support as the core guys have in LA? Put a Carter and Toffoli on our 2nd line and we would be 100X better than we are now. What do we have after Sedins and Vrbata? Higgins? Hansen? Burrows? All of those players would be on the 4th line if they were part of the Kings lineup.

I agree with people saying this one was on the coach as much as anyone. He needed to recognize what was happening and try to do something to counter it. The fact that he still had a timeout after the game shows he didn't do all he could have.

Yes, the Canucks are not as good as the Kings, but the win was there to be had. Even if they had to grind it out and win an ugly one, that's what good teams do. Not enough killer instinct with this team.

And as far as wanting a 4 line team, the Kings are a perfect example. This team is not a 4 line team yet. While Willie was busy trying to match lines, the Kings were throwing whoever they wanted over the boards, cause every one of their lines can play. The Canucks have too many passengers right now.

The seppuku is strong tonight...

Again, this is actually a good thing. Gives Benning a look at the REAL team, both the good and the bad. Rest assured he's getting a good read on all the players and will make the moves necessary. More changes will come, rest assured, but in a measured and deliberate manner, not knee-jerk panic. Doesn't even really matter if the Canucks miss the playoffs, the plan isn't 1 or 2 years. Just be patient and watch the team transform into a winner (that competes for 60 minutes!) :)

agree to this and if we miss the playoffs, I hope we get to choose at the top 10 overall.

But, if it does It will just looked bad when we tried to change and still end up the same as last.

Well, what we need is a real 2nd line. We are technically a one line team with lots of depth at lines 3 and 4. The 2nd line is just not made of good 2nd line players that could supplement the Sedins. If you look at LA's top 2 lines, they have Kopitar, Gaborik, Williams, Pearson, Toffoli and Carter. Thats on top of players that could play on the 2nd line like Richards, Brown and Stoll. You really think we wouldn't dominate if the Sedins had the same support as the core guys have in LA? Put a Carter and Toffoli on our 2nd line and we would be 100X better than we are now. What do we have after Sedins and Vrbata? Higgins? Hansen? Burrows? All of those players would be on the 4th line if they were part of the Kings lineup.

I dont disagree. Guys like Higgins and Bonino are not top 6 players. We have a lot of money tied up in 2 guys that still look like stars against poor teams but dont do much against elite teams, we have no second line and our D kinda stinks beyond Edler and Tanev.

Benning has lots of work to do - he has a 3 year window here that coincides with contract expirations. Lets see if he can phase in a new core.

Archived