The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video Shows Russian Player Throw Stick Into Crowd After Loss To Canada

hsedin33

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/06/vladislav-gavrikov-stick-canada_n_6425306.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular&ir=Canada

Sorry cant get video or pic to work, just use the link. I never even saw this until now..

Video Shows Russian Player Throw Stick Into Crowd After Loss To Canada

Talk about a sore loser.

A Russian player was captured on video tossing his stick into the stands in frustration after losing 5-4 to Canada at the World Juniors on Monday. The video was posted toYouTube by Cameron Smith and enhanced by Global News.

TSN's BarDown reports that a fan was hit by the stick and that Toronto Police met with the victim after the game.

It's not immediately clear which Russian player threw the stick. Global and Sun Newssuggest it was Russian defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov, but BarDown identifies the player as Paigin Ziyat. BarDown also snagged a photo of the unsportsmanlike conduct.

One thing is for sure, whoever threw the stick will likely face some form of punishment from the IIHF.

RELATED ON HUFFPOST:

That's cool. The games in the WJC are very emotional, intense games that these kids hate losing. Overreacting like this shouldn't be surprising in the least as emotions will get the best of them. It's one of the many reasons why the WJC is extremely fun to watch.

Of course it sucks that the fan got hit, but hey, free stick?

I found this article more as a sorry reason to despise Russia more over something so little.

Disgraceful

classless goal celebration, all out classless.

glad we beat those clowns.

caught me by surprise. Throwing into the stand like that? that dangerous, I've also never seen that before, you argument is weak.

Again, they're a bunch of kids. Emotions run high and losing to a rival, sometimes you do stupid stuff. We were all young once, we've all done stupid things. This should qualify as such. It was an unfortunate spur of the moment reaction and I'm sure he regrets what he did.

You should also stop using the word classless, it's pretty classless.

That's cool. The games in the WJC are very emotional, intense games that these kids hate losing. Overreacting like this shouldn't be surprising in the least as emotions will get the best of them. It's one of the many reasons why the WJC is extremely fun to watch.

I found this article more as a sorry reason to despise Russia more over something so little.

Something little?

If you're a fan getting a stick hurled at you after a game I'm sure you're thinking it's not just "something little". What if it was a kid that got hit? Don't let him off the hook so easily....sportsmanship is a huge part of the game and this has no place in it.

This is not "a kid"....this "kid" is an adult in that he could vote, drive, drink and would be considered an adult in court here. That makes him an adult.

Disgraceful

classless goal celebration, all out classless.

glad we beat those clowns.

caught me by surprise. Throwing into the stand like that? that dangerous, I've also never seen that before, you argument is weak.

Kovalchuk did it in '05.

It's one thing to get emotional, but it's another to throw your stick into the stands. There's a good chance it hits someone, and sure enough it did.

Hope the fan is ok. Of course the Russian player didn't mean to hurt anyone (at least we hope not) but there should be a punishment for this. Can't let him off the hook just because he was mad.

Something little?

If you're a fan getting a stick hurled at you after a game I'm sure you're thinking it's not just "something little". What if it was a kid? Don't let him off the hook so easily....sportsmanship is a huge part of the game and this has no place in it.

Of course it's dangerous, but I've said what I initially meant to point out in my last post. Sometimes people do idiotic things in the heat of the moment. Sportsmanship IS a huge part but these are kids, again. Emotions run extremely high in the WJC.

Just my take on it.

EDIT: And I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished either. Obviously he should be as it was a stupid and dangerous act.

This is not "a kid"....this "kid" is an adult in that he could vote, drive, drink and would be considered an adult in court here. That makes him an adult.

While they might not be defined as "kids" given their age. In the world of professional sports, I'd figure that term could be used in this regard as they're extremely new and unexperienced when it comes to being a professional athlete in my opinion.

Of course it's dangerous, but I've said what I initially meant to point out in my last post. Sometimes people do idiotic things in the heat of the moment. Sportsmanship IS a huge part but these are kids, again. Emotions run extremely high in the WJC.

Just my take on it.

EDIT: And I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished either. Obviously he should be as it was a stupid and dangerous act.

While they might not be defined as "kids" given their age. In the world of professional sports, I'd figure that term could be used in this regard as they're extremely new and unexperienced when it comes to being a professional athlete in my opinion.

I think that an act like this goes beyond just poor sportsmanship and succumbing to the pressure and emotions of professional sports.

Sure they are new to professional sports, but they've been on the planet for 19-20 years, they've probably been playing hockey for 15 years, and that should be enough time to figure out something as basic as not doing something so reckless that could injure a fan. Would he do this if he were in front of a Russian crowd?

I fully understand why he was pissed and did something stupid but we don't take that into account as an excuse when a player, say takes a cheapshot on another player on-ice. We treat it as a cheapshot especially when it was completely unprovoked.

Fans aren't combatants the ice, they don't wear equipment and they don't expect the possibility of being injured by opposing players.

That's what happens when you taunt our bench while still down. Glad we dominated those classless dirtbags.

Agreed,,,where is that poster Executive66 ..he said he was pulling for Russia because Canada is to cocky...Russia has always played like a bunch of cocky, classless hotdogs...they came out in this game thinking they were going to intimidate Canada,,didnt work so well and this act doesnt surprise me...to be honest ..the way the game started on Sunday I had visions of 1987 all over again...glad it wasnt....

Archived