The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver @ Tampa Bay (20/01/15, 4:30pm PST)

Mathew Barzal

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Team is missing something. #1 they don't shoot the damn puck enough. I'm starting to call this "the sedin effect". They are the leaders on this team and they bore us all to death.

#2 as much as I like Willie D ... He's not exactly coaching that well.... He's just a nice guy players coach. Higgins? Haven't scored in forever? Power play time! Horvat? Shows all the right things? Benched for 11 minutes. Makes zero sense.

Agreed. Sedins gifted PP time in the third after generating absolutely nothing all game. The were -4 and -3 with no points on 7 PPs including 3, 5 on 3s. They could have put a midget line out and they would have got at least 1 goal. Just brutal to watch how the entire team is now starting to play the Sedin keep away game. NO one wants to shoot unless they have 3 seconds and 10 feet of open space. Just brutal.

sorry to hear about your kassian man crush

he has been the most disappointing canuck forward this year in my view

i know you see it differently

no canuck has given less effort in my view and complained more

I never said he wasnt disapointing this year. Im just wondering how you can say our miraclulous disappearing second line has been any more effective. I mean we got Bonino to be a second line centre. He switched with Richardson before his injury and was effectively bumped to the third. Then theres Higgins.

I mean if we are going to give Kassian hell for lack of effort or consistancy, how about these guys?

Putting your overwhelming hate for the CDC whipping boy aside for a second.

Crappy. I want to say "oh well" but really want some nail in the coffin games that solidify that we're ok. Keeping it in check - is a road game and we've done ok. But looking for some of the tough ones to go into the W category and it's hard to breathe easy until we do.

Canucks haven't beaten any playoff teams on this road trip. I don't think wins over bottom feeders make this team 'OK'. They went 0-7 on the PP including two 5 on 3 chances. The power play didn't even look dangerous, it was downright horrible.

This was a winnable game that the Canucks pissed away with abysmal special teams, not to mention Henrik was floating around when the opening goal was scored.

This performance was unacceptable. A real playoff team would have at least looked dangerous on the PP.

I never said he wasnt disapointing this year. Im just wondering how you can say our miraclulous disappearing second line has been any more effective. I mean we got Bonino to be a second line centre. He switched with Richardson before his injury and was effectively bumped to the third. Then theres Higgins.

I mean if we are going to give Kassian hell for lack of effort or consistancy, how about these guys?

Putting your overwhelming hate for the CDC whipping boy aside for a second.

i have no hate for kassian

i wish he would do more

he would be a nice fit with the team

but he has done less than the other players you mention

the 2nd line was actually quite good for a while

kassian really has not been this year

and his attitude and repeated apparent lack of effort

has caused him to use up and good will or patience that he may have earned last year

he himself said he would play so they could not take him out of the line up

that lasted one game

he has no endurance in terms of his ability to put out a quaity performance except on an occassional game basis

his past 3 coaches appear to view him the same way

Well we won the games that we were supposed to win on this road trip. That's a good thing. It's too bad that the Canucks couldn't muster enough to win against the top teams in the NHL. 3-2 on a long road trip with a couple of back to backs is still pretty good by my books.

This has been a pretty consistent story this year. In general the Canucks have done well against the weaker teams but have been outclassed by the top teams in the league. The Canucks occasionally have a good game against a top team but it looks to me like it would be unlikely that the Canucks could move forward in a best of 7 series against any of the top teams.

It looks to me like the Canucks are likely to make the playoffs but will have a hard time getting past the first round.

This has been a pretty consistent story this year. In general the Canucks have done well against the weaker teams but have been outclassed by the top teams in the league. The Canucks occasionally have a good game against a top team but it looks to me like it would be unlikely that the Canucks could move forward in a best of 7 series against any of the top teams.

It looks to me like the Canucks are likely to make the playoffs but will have a hard time getting past the first round.

You speak the truth JamesB. I've been of the opinion that the Canucks are a middle of the road team that will have to battle to earn a 7th/8th seed in the WC. As they say, anything can happen once you're in the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath.

IMO, this has been a year one of a 3-4 year re-build. The Sedins/Bieksa/Hamhuis/Miller are serving the purpose of ushering in the next generation of core players, and regardless of what JB/TL/WD are saying about giving this group a legit shot at a cup, it's going to take some divine intervention for the Canucks to win the Cup with the current core.

You've laid out the evidence nicely in your post JamesB. The Canucks just aren't good enough to beat the top teams in the league. But, gotta say, when healthy (i.e., not sick with the flu), this team is pretty entertaining, which is far better than it was a year ago. At the very least, I take solace in knowing the team is moving in the right direction.

so its all Gulutzens fault...he coaches the PK and if you cant score on 7 PPs..its more than the coach.

^I didnt say it was Gulutzan's fault. Someone asked who coaches the PP,... and I answered.

Someone needs to come up with some new ideas & then the players need to implement them.

Gulutzan was retained from the old coaching-regime's staff,...because the players actually liked him, and apparently he had a very positive effect on the young players coming in from Utica. Why not keep some people,.. instead of just paying 3 guys for doing nothing? I think the positives said about Gulutzan remain,...but is he the very best 'special-teams coach' in the league? Probably not. One can make efforts to get better at one's job. Gully & WD could definitely be doing a little more to improve their messages - too.

^I didnt say it was Gulutzan's fault. Someone asked who coaches the PP,... and I answered.

Someone needs to come up with some new ideas & then the players need to implement them.

Gulutzan was retained from the old coaching-regime's staff,...because the players actually liked him, and apparently he had a very positive effect on the young players coming in from Utica. Why not keep some people,.. instead of just paying 3 guys for doing nothing? I think the positives said about Gulutzan remain,...but is he the very best 'special-teams coach' in the league? Probably not. One can make efforts to get better at one's job. Gully & WD could definitely be doing a little more to improve their messages - too.

Okay but he is the PK coach..not the PP....so he is doing something right...the Canuck PK isnt bad. He was brought in because he was interviewed for coaching job that Torts got,,he wasnt one of Torts boys,,he was the former coach of Dallas and was hired by Gillis on his own merrit and kept by Linden for the same.

I think we may have survived the January swoon :frantic: especially with a couple of good efforts next week, Sedin's need the rest,Dorsett as well and Edler,Bieksa needed a vacay his injury might be a blessing in disguise.Kass needs a break from whatever is in his head.And Miller could have rested tonight (I was worried about him getting injured on a back to back because we need him for the stretch run)

Our vets know whats expected down the stretch plus it would be nice to try Jensen or whoever for a stint after the break.

Because of all the powerplays Kassian and Mathias sat a lot tonight hard to get going when your sitting!

And to me that's not right. If you want to see what players like Kassian can do then give him the time! And besides our 2nd unit has what, 2 goals all season? That needs to be changed. My suggestion:

PP1

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Vrbata - Edler

PP2

Matthias - Horvat/Bonino/Vey - Kassian

Hamhuis - Corrado

Archived