The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks practice NYR

Mackcanuck

I guess giving up on your check ten feet in front of the net and allowing him to score is ok in your mind then? One was a play the whole team does that occasionally gets picked off. The other was just sheer laziness. Which one should be worse?

There's a difference between saying a guy doesn't turn the puck over in dangerous areas and saying he plays mistake-free hockey.

If you want me to start picking on other guys, sure. That was pretty awful of Vey to let Niederreiter beat him to the front of the net. An even worse play by Henrik basically gift-wrapping the puck to Parise in front of the net.

I don't play favourites.

calgary

No. Player Pos G A P +/- PIM S Hits BkS GvA TkA FO% PP TOI SH TOI TOI

9 Z. Kassian R 0 0 0 -1 0 1 4 0 0 0 - 0:00 0:00 11:01

20 C. Higgins L 0 1 1 1 0 4 0 0 0 0 - 0:01 1:21 15:25

36 J. Hansen R 0 1 1 -1 0 3 0 0 0 0 - 0:00 0:44 13:03

** hansen was the best canuck and was 2nd star of the game

minnesota

No. Player Pos G A P +/- PIM S Hits BkS GvA TkA FO% PP TOI SH TOI TOI

9 Z. Kassian R 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 1 - 0:03 0:00 10:36

20 C. Higgins L 0 1 1 -1 0 2 1 1 0 0 - 0:44 0:48 13:22

36 J. Hansen R 0 1 1 1 0 2 2 1 0 2 - 1:01 1:04 16:29

hansen and higgens each had 2 points in these 2 games

and hansen was 2nd star

i think the decision not to sit them is rather smart myself

Now go further back CV like 4-5 games

I just don't think vets should be immune from the bench

I don't get your hate-on for Higgins and Hansen... Higgins is consistent every night, good on both sides of the puck and hansen is on our fourth line which in any given night is our best line. Not to mention both are cheap cap hits..Seems like spite cause you don't like them.

That's not true at all.

I again, am just unsure why our vets are getting away for the same issues this fanbase seems to pin on our youth,

I really do not think vets should be immune and in the context of the last 5-6 games....they are candidates for the bench as much as people suggest Kassian or Vey are. nothing more.

I have a similar view. It is obvious what kind of players WD likes. He likes guys who work hard every shift and play a consistent high energy game. He wanted Dorsett, who obviously fits that model. He likes Kenins (and has liked him since he first saw him in the summer). He has coached McMillan and says that he plays the same kind of game and that is why he wants him to play. He has obviously really built up a lot of confidence in Horvat, despite his youth, and Horvat plays the same way. Same with Hansen. And his coaching has improved Matthias on this dimension.

Willie wants his bottom six to fit that model: high energy, hard-working, consistent, defensively responsible.

Obviously Kassian does not fit that model.

I am not saying Willie is necessarily right. But it is clear what kind of team he wants. And he has been very successful at all levels so far. This is his first shot as an NHL head coach and he is not likely to change his pattern.

Kassian seems to need his feet to the fire more than most players to get the message.

And of course we do not know if Kassian will be scratched tonight. Or maybe a trade is in the works.

this

but until mcmillan actually plays we do not know what he can do at this level for the canucks

i advocated sitting him

or if necessary waiving him again

so that the canuck line up could stay together for the last few games

when they were playing so well

but i think an opportunity is now present for him to get a look see in a game

so let's see what he is all about

but he has earned nothing so far

The Kassian scenario is a conflicting one for me.

Hockey is entertainment and nothing is more entertaining than watching the Canucks win. If coach WD thinks sitting Kassian is the right move for the teams' success it's hard to argue otherwise.

The thing is Kassian is one hell of an entertaining player. He mixes it up with most, tries things - for better or worse - that not many of our players will, and is a bit of an overgrown pest. Individually he makes for better television than, say, Brandon McMillan.

id like to see kass be given the opportunity to make some mistakes and still have the coaches confidence in him.

ive seen other coaches do that with young guys...said player makes a gaff that leads to a goal against and then the coach in an effort to boost the kids confidence puts him right back out there to make ammends.

kass cant foster the right confidence if he feels like he is walking on egg shells everytime he gets back in there.

guys make mistakes and they need to grow from those.

Why are you people fixated on the mistakes he made as the reason he is scratched. More likely it was his complete lack of intensity that has earned him a seat. WD has shown that if the compete level is there, even if results aren't, he will play you. Kassian played like a 5'-9" 160lb forward last game. Scared to go where he was going the past few games, front of the net. Perimeter play with no physicality isn't going to earn him ice time.

But by all means. Everyone focus on the non-existent biased and don't forget to throw Vey & Higgins under the bus...someone throw Hansen under there too.

you wished to base this decision on the last 2 games

i did so

and hansen and higgins should not be sat based on their recent play

Fair enough Bud. No arguments.

But this group is seeming to base it all off of 2 games and not taking into account he was far from our worst forward.

Fair enough Bud. No arguments.

But this group is seeming to base it all off of 2 games and not taking into account he was far from our worst forward.

i said when kassian got back in the line up

that he should be given a 10 game stretch in which to show consistency before he is assessed

unless he has a completely awful game

he played poorly last game and lacked intensity and proper focus

so if a move is to be made i think he is the odd man out

he'll get another opportunity or perhaps multiple opportunities

i still want him to put in a 10 game consistent stretch .. let's see if he can

i said when kassian got back in the line up

that he should be given a 10 game stretch in which to show consistency before he is assessed

unless he has a completely awful game

he played poorly last game and lacked intensity and proper focus

so if a move is to be made i think he is the odd man out

he'll get another opportunity or perhaps multiple opportunities

i still want him to put in a 10 game consistent stretch .. let's see if he can

I am ok with that. But sadly he didn't get 10 games. And his whole line last game was more than sub par. Rather see him get that full 10 game stretch instead of being punished for 1 bad game.

I'm going to laugh my ass off tomorrow if Kassian is not scratched and you all wasted your day away crying about a decision based purely off speculation.

You guys should all grow up and wait and see. Aside from him rotating on Horvat's line, there has been no suggestion (other than speculation) that he is sitting. So why freak out until there is actual evidence?

And who cares if he does get scratched? Desjardins has been stating for a while now that he wants to get McMillan in for a game, and to be brutally honest, Kassian was our worst player BY FAR against Minnesota. Therefore it makes logical sense to me to have him sit the game out.

No one is suggesting that Kassian will now be continually sat in favor of McMillan, merely that the coach wants to test out McMillan and Kassian was our worst player in our previous game.

Chill the hell out and let the coach do his job.

Willie must not like Kassian very much, if at all. He seems to have a shorter leash then all the players on the team. He looked bad at the start of the Wild game, with a few against the grain neutral zone turnovers and was kinda playing a perimeter style game. But as the game went on I thought he started to pick up his play, and he has obviously been playing well since he got back in the lineup. One mediocre game and he's back out? That's frustrating. He should at least get 1 more game to prove he's better than that, if he plays 2 or 3 bad games in a row then it would make sense to me to bring him out of the lineup.

Something must be going on here that the Canucks aren't telling anyone. He probably still wants out if he's not going to play.

Enough about Kassian already. What will the team do to correct the problem that NY knew every break-out move the Canuck use and broke it up? In the previous game we were badly out-coached. Hope to see some answers this time.

the team changed its system after the last game against nyr

they play a much less pressure offensive system now

and take far fewer risks

as a result their goal scoring is now way down since that game

the last 5 games or so the new system appears to be hitting its stride

the players are again playing with more intensity

and scoring at a bit higher rate

it may be that nyr will expose them again

but i doubt it since there is less pressure now in the canuck's forecheck

i don't think we'll see the same level of defensive breakdowns as last game

and bieksa is not playing either, he had a particularly poor game last time we played nyr

edit: for those who want an example of willie being a rookie coach and being schooled in a game. . the last nyr game was the game, AV showed willie what an experienced skilled coach can do to a weaker system of play

Archived