The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think Eddie made a statement vs the Bruins about who is #1 when Miller is out

*Buzzsaw*

There has been a lot of talk on these boards about how good Markstrom is, and how we should trade Lack... WRONG.

As good as Markstrom has been... his performance this year has been in the AHL... a long way from the big league.

As Lack said in his post-game interview... what happened last year at the same time was a different situation than now... he was recovering from his surgery... he didn't have the time to work on his game and learn from Melanson, and the team wasn't playing very well.

I think he has to be considered the Canucks #1 goaltender for the rest of the season.

That doesn't mean he should play as much as Miller did, he will need to split the games more evenly with Markstrom, but he should get the bulk of the starts, probably 2 out of 3.

I do think he should sit out the next game vs Buffalo... that would be a good opportunity for Markstrom to get his baptism as a Canuck netminder... plus Eddie was beat up considerably with all the crashing of the net by the Bruins, so he probably needs a break.

Love Eddie, thought he should have been our #1 from the start. The guy's got the perfect attitude to be this city's goalie.

JB should be kicking himself for not going after Jonas Hiller.

Unfortunately with Miller's contract, his so-so play and small goalie market Lack is likely the guy that gets shipped out since he fetches the bigger return.

The situation is far from simple.

Lack and Markstrom are duking it out but for what?

One of them is clearly getting moved in the offseason. But who?

1. The one who fetches the highest price in a trade? Maybe. or,
  2. The one who the Canucks like the best.

The goalie who plays the best through this 6 week trial may or may not be staying. We won't know until draft time.

I meant until Miller comes back... No way am I suggesting Eddie is better than Miller.

But given a choice between Markstrom and Lack, I'll take Eddie for the majority of the games.

As out to lunch as this board can be at times, I can't see one person here saying markstrom should play the majority of the games. It's pretty much a given Eddie will start most of them.

Love Eddie, thought he should have been our #1 from the start. The guy's got the perfect attitude to be this city's goalie.

JB should be kicking himself for not going after Jonas Hiller.

Unfortunately with Miller's contract, his so-so play and small goalie market Lack is likely the guy that gets shipped out since he fetches the bigger return.

Are you actually suggesting that going into this season that Lack had established himself enough as a starter in the NHL? Because he hadn't

Are you also suggesting that Lack would have a higher return in value than Miller? Again, wrong.

Lack will most likely be shipped out because he is more valuable than Markstrom currently is. Who is a higher risk/higher reward gamble, but could pay dividends as he has a higher potential ceiling. It also seems like Rollie has gotten him along the right development path and he's excelled under our organization.

Archived