The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I think Eddie made a statement vs the Bruins about who is #1 when Miller is out

*Buzzsaw*

so lets not use the stats associated with goalies let just use the ones that workout to the way you want.

bottom line he's .500 his number are good but he hasn't played in nearly as many games as Miller so whats to say his number would be better or worse. if a goalie plays one game and gets a shutout his number are gaa o.oo sa%1.00 so i guess that makes him better than every goaltender in the world.lets make him the next starter he obviously a superstar. come on. lack has proven absolutely nothing in the nhl other than he's a capable back up. its to bad miller got hurt because like it or not he is vancouver best goaltender and he has the resume to prove it. Benning didn't sign Miller to trade him,Lack is expendable we have two more just like him.unproven.

I actually did use stats that equate to a goalies actual play. Save % and goals against..those are goalie stats. Wins and Losses are not a goalie stat, how hard is this to understand? There are plenty of goalies putting up better numbers than Miller who have no where near the same wins.

I have no idea what you are even trying to say, as you are obviously unable to articulate your thoughts into legible sentences.

All I did as put up the numbers. I didnt make them up. They werent based on one game.

A resume is only as good as the last job you did. You cant call someone great because they used to be great. Miller is an average goalie in this league, and is paid like he is elite, which he is not.

Whether Lack would put up numbers better than Miller when taking on the same workload remains to be seen. But if you go by Lacks stats from all of last season, they would be very similar, except about 5 mill cheaper.

Anyone who thinks Lack is expendable because 'we have 2 more just like him' obviously doesnt have a clue. Markstrom hasnt proven anything outside of good AHL numbers, at least Lack has shown he belongs in the NHL.

I didnt like the Miller signing when it happened and I like it even less now.

I don't think Markstrom's even been given a chance to play in the nhl regular season this year. I like Eddie, but I'd like to see him out together a few string of strong games, not just one game.

No he hasn't. But he will now, as Eddie won't be playing all the games while Miller is out. And if Markstrom finally really is NHL ready, this is a golden opportunity to showcase him before we're forced to trade a goalie later.

As for stirring up a goalie controversy as suggested by wai_lai, I don't think it really exists. The fact is that a coach will put their best players in the game.... from your forward lines to the d, to the goalie. Similarily, fans will express who they feel are the better players and who they'd slot in and in what order. This is no different.

Further to that and further to my previous couple of posts, I believe that if management is convinced that we have better goalie alternatives than having Miller as our #1 that they would look at shopping Miller on the market. The only reason I could see they would not is if Benning wants to save face in the fact he signed him in the first place. (I don't see that happening. Benning seems like a straight shooter who is looking out for the best interests of this team).

I think we're still feeling the fallout from with the Luongo/Schneider shenanigans that were caused by previous mismanagement. In that case we had two elite goalies, both which had paid their dues, were playing well, and deserved to be #1. If Miller's stats continue to be behind that of Lack's, I think everyone will understand why we might end up playing Lack more. And unless the dynamic remained for multiple years like it did with Luongo and Schnieder, I don't really see it as being a major issue from a contraversy perspective. I think our management team is smart enough not to let that happen though, as it would do nothing to help Miller's tradability and would result in us carrying a 6m backup for an additional two years.

No he hasn't. But he will now, as Eddie won't be playing all the games while Miller is out. And if Markstrom finally really is NHL ready, this is a golden opportunity to showcase him before we're forced to trade a goalie later.

As for stirring up a goalie controversy as suggested by wai_lai, I don't think it really exists. The fact is that a coach will put their best players in the game.... from your forward lines to the d, to the goalie. Similarily, fans will express who they feel are the better players and who they'd slot in and in what order. This is no different.

Further to that and further to my previous couple of posts, I believe that if management is convinced that we have better goalie alternatives than having Miller as our #1 that they would look at shopping Miller on the market. The only reason I could see they would not is if Benning wants to save face in the fact he signed him in the first place. (I don't see that happening. Benning seems like a straight shooter who is looking out for the best interests of this team).

I think we're still feeling the fallout from with the Luongo/Schneider shenanigans that were caused by previous mismanagement. In that case we had two elite goalies, both which had paid their dues, were playing well, and deserved to be #1. If Miller's stats continue to be behind that of Lack's, I think everyone will understand why we might end up playing Lack more. And unless the dynamic remained for multiple years like it did with Luongo and Schnieder, I don't really see it as being a major issue from a contraversy perspective. I think our management team is smart enough not to let that happen though, as it would do nothing to help Miller's tradability and would result in us carrying a 6m backup for an additional two years.

I get where you're coming from but I think that Lack will be traded and Miller will stay. As you had said the team is going to play the best players as it stands right now Miller as he was being played over Lack so he is the better player, which means Lack should be the one traded.

Stats don't always tell how good goalie is and won't be the only thing the decision is going to be based on like you are suggesting. Miller had to play most of the games when the team was getting to know the system which resulted bad defensive plays or total collapse of the systems. This caused blowouts that skewed Millers stats drastically. If those are taken out, then miller does have a better stats than Lack.

I think you're also overlooking the fact, starting is different than being a backup where backups have come in and started for a short period of time and did do very well but when It came doing it for the whole season they crashed and burned.

I get where you're coming from but I think that Lack will be traded and Miller will stay. As you had said the team is going to play the best players as it stands right now Miller as he was being played over Lack so he is the better player, which means Lack should be the one traded.

Stats don't always tell how good goalie is and won't be the only thing the decision is going to be based on like you are suggesting. Miller had to play most of the games when the team was getting to know the system which resulted bad defensive plays or total collapse of the systems. This caused blowouts that skewed Millers stats drastically. If those are taken out, then miller does have a better stats than Lack.

I think you're also overlooking the fact, starting is different than being a backup where backups have come in and started for a short period of time and did do very well but when It came doing it for the whole season they crashed and burned.

Doesnt Lack, by that same measure, get a pass on his early season blowouts? Take away the 7 ga and the 4 ga against the Bolts and Avs , I wonder how much better his stats would look?

I like the thought but Miller has been inconsistent all season outside of a stretch of 10 games from Dec-Jan.

Miller last 10 starts look something like this

10 gp 4-6-0 .884 sv % 3.0 gaa

I thought/hoped that Miller would be moved at the trade deadline but now the injury nixes that. 2nd best is Lack/Markstrom take the team to the finish line and MIller gets dealt at the Draft. Miller has the most value with his experience and 2 years left on his contract.

Lack at 27 is old enough to take on the #1 role. Even if he has some experience to gain he can do that with the younger roster that has to come. While Lack has room to grow I suspect Miller will flat line and actually start to decline.

As encouraging as the performance of the Utica call ups the Van depth is still far from good enough. Trade Miller and hopefully pick up a 1st Rounder. With such a deep draft even a 2nd Rounder and prospect for Miller would be worth it.

To your first point, I agree. It is highly likely one of Markstrom or Lack are the ones to be traded. Let's face it - the market for an aging goalie playing average, making 6m and with a limited no trade clause is a small one. I'm just saying he could be shopped if management deems Lack to be more likely to win us games.

To your second point, I disagree. In fact, Miller's last bunch of games have been his worst. I will agree though that stats don't always show the whole picture, and that Lack might not be ready for a starting role quite yet. I think for my prediction to pan out, Lack would need to really play like a man posessed while Miller is out. If he is just average, then it would make sense why (at the very least) Miller's veteran presence could be considered valuable enough to warrant keeping him over Lack.

I can see a real possibility that no goalie movement even happens until the draft. I think more time is needed before the trade deadline before Lack, Markstrom, and even Miller can be 100% fully assessed. Benning doesn't strike me as being a guy who's willing to make decisions based on incomplete data.

"I get where you're coming from but I think that Lack will be traded and Miller will stay"

I agree. The most likely goalie to be traded is Lack. 2nd more likely is Markstrom. Chances of Miller being traded are very low. We don't agree on the reasons for that, but can agree it is the case.

"Miller had to play most of the games when the team was getting to know the system"

Bullfeathers. He did in fact play most of those games, but there was no reason he had to-and generally the team played well in front of him. During those times, Lack was getting to play only the 2nd game of back to backs, when the team was tired.

"which resulted bad defensive plays or total collapse of the systems."

Sometimes, but that happened to Lack more consistently than it happened to Miller. I can think offhand of 3 games in which the Canucks collapsed so badly they gave up over 40 shots this season. Miller was not the guy who had to pick up the pieces-Lack was in goal for all three of them-and the team won two of those three games. Lack has handled the back end of more of the back to backs this season as well.

"This caused blowouts that skewed Millers stats drastically. If those are taken out, then miller does have a better stats than Lack."

What you're saying is, if we don't count the bad games of the goalie with the worse stats, but count the bad games of the goalie who had better stats, we can skew the stats so that worse looks better!

Actually we can do better than that. If you only count Miller's good games, his stats will make Rinne, Price and all the others look poor by comparison.

C'mon now

Miller is going to be on the Canucks opening day roster for the 2015-16 NHL season

But this is CDC so I guess the sane souls must endure the madness

Archived