The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

And just what will the TML do if this happens; go back to James Reimer? :huh:

Bernier is one of th few good things Nonuts pulled off, No sense going backwards there...

helps them gain assets back as he holds more value than reimer probably. Leafs can also finish lower for another high pick next year

For serious?

It's always Vancouver and New York gunning for the same player.

Looking at each teams direction and contracts, I would say there's more opportunity for him here.

Well yeah. Unless they trade Talbot, he'll go nowhere - Hartford at most for the next five years.

Good to know EDM's out of the mix.

I would assume that plan is 1 full year in the AHL then a chance at the NHL

If we were to sign him he would definitely spend the 1st season in the AHL.

If he he looks like he is ready to take the next steps by the next year then yeah if not he would spend another season in the AHL.

I would assume that plan is 1 full year in the AHL then a chance at the NHL

Yea that would be my guess too.

Shows he's a smart guy if true. These college free agents that think they can step right into the NHL often flop. If he wasn't committed to proper development, I'm not sure I'd want him anyways.

The Canucks have Utica as a good selling point then. One of the best AHL franchises going right now, and should only be better next season. It's pretty obvious Markstrom won't be there next season too, so they\ll need a number 1.

Guest Dasein

Well yeah. Unless they trade Talbot, he'll go nowhere - Hartford at most for the next five years.

Good to know EDM's out of the mix.

Not at all - if he's really good, he's guaranteed to play in the NHL, whether that is in NYR or on another NHL team

O'Connor is looking at development programs, not where the NHL opportunity is in today's market. He understands perfectly well that the team he signs the ELC with may not be the team that he plays in the NHL for

O'Connor is looking to sign with whichever team he thinks has the best development program to prepare him to become an NHL-calibre goaltender some day - even if that team has a log jam at goaltending. Eventually, if O'Connor plays really well down the road, he can either force the team he signed with to trade the guy above him to give him a shot, or he can force the team to trade him to another team that needs and wants a goaltender like him

Bottom line is, what's most important for O'Connor isn't whether there is a chance to play in the NHL with the team he signs the ELC with, but whether the team he signs the ELC with has the best development program to shape him into an NHL-calibre goaltender at the end of his ELC

Not at all - if he's really good, he's guaranteed to play in the NHL, whether that is in NYR or on another NHL team

O'Connor is looking at development programs, not where the NHL opportunity is in today's market. He understands perfectly well that the team he signs the ELC with may not be the team that he plays in the NHL for

O'Connor is looking to sign with whichever team he thinks has the best development program to prepare him to become an NHL-calibre goaltender some day - even if that team has a log jam at goaltending. Eventually, if O'Connor plays really well down the road, he can either force the team he signed with to trade the guy above him to give him a shot, or he can force the team to trade him to another team that needs and wants a goaltender like him

Bottom line is, what's most important for O'Connor isn't whether there is a chance to play in the NHL with the team he signs the ELC with, but whether the team he signs the ELC with has the best development program to shape him into an NHL-calibre goaltender at the end of his ELC

bang on

I don't see the Sens or Rangers as serious contenders. He would be buried in either city.

Comes down to the Oilers and Canucks.

Oilers have the biggest need and might appeal in a big way for a young guy to join a talented group. The down side is the career threat that has burned numerous tenders in Edmonton.

Canucks will deny it but they are on a rebuild. Miller gets moved and they go with Lack. That is the logical move but who knows what the market for Miller will be. If it happened then a space opens in Utica as one assumes Markstrom gets a back up role in Van. He has never established his NHL cred and might never do so. It leaves a opportunity for O'Conner to play in the AHL with a shot at the NHL if Lack or Markstrom crash.

I don't see the Sens or Rangers as serious contenders. He would be buried in either city.

Oilers have the biggest need and might appeal in a big way for a young guy to join a talented group. The down side is the career threat that has burned numerous tenders in Edmonton.

Canucks will deny it but they are on a rebuild. Miller gets moved and they go with Lack. That is the logical move but who knows what the market for Miller will be. If it happened then a space opens in Utica as one assumes Markstrom gets a back up role in Van. He has never established his NHL cred and might never do so. It leaves a opportunity for O'Conner to play in the AHL with a shot at the NHL if Lack or Markstrom crash.

Perfectly said.

Pretty much this. I think while Nyr still has a chance; new developments is now with chiarelli moving to edmonton, o'Connor will choose either NHL playing time now (edmonton) with a BONAFIDE next Crosby (mcdavid) versus a development plan and starting in the Ahl in vancouver (roster mediocre debatably old.) Ottawa has Anderson and Hammond/Lehner.

Well 1st of all, i think it's pretty safe to say that Eriksson will be gone if we sign O'Connor. I'm curious what the plan will be for O'Connor. I'm a little bit surprised that he actually sees us as a possible location, considering how highly touted he is. I mean right now, we're pretty stacked on goaltenders. Cannata has been great in the ECHL, and every time he has had a chance to play with the Comets he's been great. I feel pretty bad for him. Reminds me of the situation Markstrom had with the Canucks this year. No matter how good you're, you're not going to stay.

What will Benning do if he can't get a decent return for either Miller or Lack? He HAS to trade one of those guys (it will most likely be Lack), especially considering Lack's contract situation next year. Will he let Markstrom walk, the guy who has been dominating in the AHL, and who is only 2 years older than O'Connor? It would be a mistake to give up on Markstrom. I dunno, i'll admit i haven't seen anything of O'Connor, but he seems a little bit overrated to me. He's not exactly old, but he's not exactly super young either. It's obviously nice to get a free prospect, that's always good. But i'm not exactly concerned with our goalie depth. I'm confident that Markstrom can step in next year in the NHL and be a good back-up.

My guess would be that Benning's plan for O'Connor, is that he trades one of the NHL-goalies in the off-season (again, it will most likely be Lack), he promotes Markstrom, and makes O'Connor the AHL-starter. In 2 years when Millers contract is up, he'll let him walk and let O'Connor and another guy (Markstrom?) battle for the starting job. He also signs Demko who replaces O'Connor as AHL-starter. Well at least this is what i'd like to see, if we are signing O'Connor..

I think Eriksson is gone regardless, leaving us with no AHL starter - certainly not one with NHL potential.

Whatever happens with Miller, Lack, and Markstrom, O'Connor has the opportunity to step directly into the starting role on a very good and defensively sound AHL squad, and be the primary call-up on a decent NHL team. The door will be open for him to the NHL in 1-2 years (2 years if Miller stays, 1 if Lack & Markstrom stay and the latter either falters or requires a large raise). Plus, our record developing goaltenders has been phenomenal.

Compare that to the Oilers, who have chewed up multiple goalies in recent years. Look at Dubnyk - was nearly out of the league, but as soon as he got out of Edmonton, he's a Vezina candidate! McDavid is a special talent offensively, but as of now they have the same rotten D-core. Why would a young goalie prospect choose that as a place to establish himself?

I think the circumstances point to Vancouver being the best fit for O'Connor. I hope he feels the same.

Archived