The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks targeting Matt O'Connor

jono2009

dustin_nielson_150x150_bigger.jpgDustin Nielson@nielsonTSN1260

Don't expect an announcement/decision from BU Netminder Matt O'Connor today. Likely will come this weekend.

also this:

ee0eb975565d1600e6b3cac83099ee18_bigger.Michelle Ste Marie@stemitch11

@TSNSimmer Hi Shawn, any update on Matt O'Connor?

Damn it, now I'm going to spend all weekend checking twitter/CDC :P

He'll go to Edm or Ott. Unsure what we could offer him knowing how stacked we are except for solid and viable development with an option to trade in a season or two.

Regardless of what the initial first good move for a player of his potential is...that top line ELC is attractive and lucrative, add that to a potential to play 30+ games a season to start and we'll be hard pressed to be as enticing as Ottawa or Edmonton.

For lifestyle he's closer to an possibly more familiar to NYR just because of location of school, and vancouver has...well everything. So for that we are very attractive.

Just know that the threads will come fast and hard should he choose Vancouver. We will have to jettison any two of or let walk Canaata/Erikson/Markstrom/Miller/Lack.

Could be entertaining.

play with Mcdavid

Will be in the NHL sometime next year.

Great up and coming team (but this has been the case for the last 5 years)

But you'd have to live in Edmonton... Most would take millions less.

He publicly said he's looking for a place where he can develop. That isn't Edmonton. It's common knowledge they've stunted the development of so many of their young players.

Why do the Canucks want this guy? We already have Miller and Lack. I think Lack proved this year he can be a starter after Miller leaves so that leaves us with Markstrom as our backup. And everyone always forgets about Ericsson and Cannata. We're way too stacked in goaltending for this Matt O'Connor guy to be a starter anytime soon.

Why do the Canucks want this guy? We already have Miller and Lack. I think Lack proved this year he can be a starter after Miller leaves so that leaves us with Markstrom as our backup. And everyone always forgets about Ericsson and Cannata. We're way too stacked in goaltending for this Matt O'Connor guy to be a starter anytime soon.

If he's open to playing in the AHL for a season (which it sounds like he is), then he can spend a year in Utica.

Either way we have to trade one of Markstrom, Miller, or Lack anyways.

If it's Markstrom, then that clears the way for O'connor to be starter in Utica next season and then back up Lack the season after that,

If it's Miller, then Markstrom can back up Lack, and O'Connor can play in Utica.

If it's Lack, then Markstrom can back up Miller, and O'connor can play in Utica.

In any of these scenarios, O'connor becomes the starter for Utica.

Because we won't be keeping both Markstrom and Lack over the off-season. And IMHO Lack isn't and won't be a #1 goaltender. He's a 1B at best. Ericsson and Cannata are both RFAs/UFAs and I don't see an NHL future. That leaves us with Lack/Markstrom and Demko in 3 years with no other depth unless we draft another goalie or sign O'Connor.

Archived