The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Benning's not looking to trade

Hodgson!!

Bieksa and Kassian are the only assets that we could realistically trade and get a good return

Don't get me wrong, I love boom boom. he is one of the only guys that showed any type of emotion on this team for a long time. But I don't think at the deadline you are going to get any type of return for an injured 33 year old defencemen with a NTC.. just sayin'

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed he's not looking to unload a few veterans.

I was really hoping to see players like Richardson and Higgins to be unloaded in favor of 2nd/3rd round draft picks. I want this team to get younger and this is the optimal draft to do it in. I'm really hoping he is willing to let some of those contracts go before draft day because its not every year that a draft this deep comes along.

That's the way I'm feeling as well.

It's a little depressing seeing the prices being paid in terms of picks in this years draft for some pretty average players.

hamhuis could return a nice package aswell. But he has a ntc aswell. Teams would also take Bonino aswell he is darn cheap, and yes he hasnt produced at a 2nd line rate, but i never expected him to considering who is linemates are.

I wouldn't trade Bonino unless it's a sekera type package coming back. 2 more years at a steal cap hit. If we end up being a more serious contender over those years, it's going to be huge having a player as good as him at that hit.. If we take a step back next year, then bones is still great trade bait.

Benning is obviously going to say that he doesn't plan on trading any UFA"s.

If he did say that and didn't follow through there would be no chance of them resigning and they would lose the players for nothing

Kinda seems like Benning is holding onto a few guys to make more of a package trade instead of just trading individuals for picks

I wouldn't be surprised if he holds off for awhile until a larger deal happens and if not makes a couple trades in the last hour tomorrow to gain a couple picks

Same can be said for Dorsett to Horvat when Bo first started playing. Horvat is now all good without Dorsett which is great to see.

Same can be said with Matthias and Dorsett to Kassian in some extent. Now Kassian has gotten top 6 ice time, even with the Sedins.

These are some examples of how our veterans have been influencing our younger players.

It's been a nice change :). I'm really happy with how TL JB and WD are handling things and as the poster said above... Good thing some of the ppl on here aren't running things, these guys really know what they are doing and I have faith. I've always been a fan of the insulation of rookies so they can grow with confidence, as well as skill etc.

He should trade some UFA's and veterans. Look Mr Benning, this team does this every year. They show they can compete, but come playoffs the fuel from the veterans run out. (Eg Sanjose series)Teams like LA man handle the veterans! Seems, Benning is falling into the trap from this core, which we as fans have seen for far too long.

He should trade many UFA's and guys like Higgins.

Why we should trade for picks?

- a deep draft, which you don't want to miss out on.

This team this year has shown me how fragile they are. Bad goals, bad breakdowns, bad goal-tending, letting in 2 goals in less than a 5 minute span, less then 5 shots a period. Bottom line Benning has to understand, now is the time to get rid of some of the UFAs because this team will not being making noise in the playoffs.

Nashville - got way better

Chicago - got better

LA - got better

Minnesota - on fire

St louis- will get better

Ducks - will make a trade

Vancouver- same line up, hopefully they can pull a "miracle" otherwise its a 1st round exit for this team. Far too many times has this team been inconsistent this year.

Retool by selling some UFAs and hope some of the young utica guys can fill in. Canucks don't need a perfect record they need a decent .500 record to get into the playoffs, so you might as well grab some decent draft picks.

And where do you get this idea that Benning is falling INTO A TRAP for this core? TSN again?? This is not Nonis,Burke,Or Gillis .I guess you really believed that Kelser never asked to be traded either.. How many Gm 's made as many changes in their line up over in the past year besides Benning? You can't expect miracles to happen just over night. It takes time for a team to become a contender again . Benning and Linden said they have a plan for the future. And one of those plans was to re- stock the farm ,Build and developed thru their drafting in which Benning has proven in the past he's good at. Not giving up on young players or prospects like McCann in which you said that Benning was putting on the block from TSN.

Do you always believe in the papers or what the media tells you? What are you going to do if some of the Vets refuse to waive their Ntc at the deadline? Have you thought of that? Have you consider that if we do trade these players that Vancouver may have to take some salary back in Return . Did Benning came out and say hey I'm NOT listening to any teams on what they want to offer. No he didn't!! If a trade that makes sense then he'll made a deal. If not he's not going to do it just to please you with your panic button and doom and gloom. How do you know what Benning has in store for the Vets at the end of the year? Again you don't.

WOW some of prediction on how other teams are doing is just wow. WHERE IS THE SURPRISE in L.A,the Ducks, and Nashville? Yup Minnisota been on fire to a point they still haven't caught Vancouver with their beat up roster for over a month. St.louis are like the leafs( Except the Blues make the post season) Fast start but fade in the post season every year and your complaning about Vancouver( playoff series with S.J.) And Chicago. A team that just loss their top scorer in the post season in Kane. You think they got better with Vermette?

You keep thinking that we are going to have the same line up every year. Well we're not. Half the roster is gone from last year and expect more to come next year.

I was really hoping to see players like Richardson and Higgins to be unloaded in favor of 2nd/3rd round draft picks. I want this team to get younger and this is the optimal draft to do it in. I'm really hoping he is willing to let some of those contracts go before draft day because its not every year that a draft this deep comes along.

I do think he needs to open up some spots.i agree I'd like to see something , just nothing in terms of draft picks.

Don't get me wrong, I love boom boom. he is one of the only guys that showed any type of emotion on this team for a long time. But I don't think at the deadline you are going to get any type of return for an injured 33 year old defencemen with a NTC.. just sayin'

Bieksa is worth more to this team as a leader and a mentor than a couple of measly picks.

Who on this team is able to deal with the media and put them in their place better than Juice? Not many players can handle playing in this market like he can.

And the fact that he's willing to stick with this team through thick and thin says alot. You don't just dump a guy like that.

Sure his play has dropped off over the years, but his real value lies in helping prepare the next crop of young Canucks. Benning and Linden both know that you need veteran leadership in place at times like these. They both went through it.

I would even like to see the team extend Bieksa next season at a much lower cap hit, just so he can mentor our young guys.

And where do you get this idea that Benning is falling INTO A TRAP for this core? TSN again?? This is not Nonis,Burke,Or Gillis .I guess you really believed that Kelser never asked to be traded either.. How many Gm 's made as many changes in their line up over in the past year besides Benning? You can't expect miracles to happen just over night. It takes time for a team to become a contender again . Benning and Linden said they have a plan for the future. And one of those plans was to re- stock the farm ,Build and developed thru their drafting in which Benning has proven in the past he's good at. Not giving up on young players or prospects like McCann in which you said that Benning was putting on the block from TSN.

Do you always believe in the papers or what the media tells you? What are you going to do if some of the Vets refuse to waive their Ntc at the deadline? Have you thought of that? Have you consider that if we do trade these players that Vancouver may have to take some salary back in Return . Did Benning came out and say hey I'm NOT listening to any teams on what they want to offer. No he didn't!! If a trade that makes sense then he'll made a deal. If not he's not going to do it just to please you with your panic button and doom and gloom. How do you know what Benning has in store for the Vets at the end of the year? Again you don't.

WOW some of prediction on how other teams are doing is just wow. WHERE IS THE SURPRISE in L.A,the Ducks, and Nashville? Yup Minnisota been on fire to a point they still haven't caught Vancouver with their beat up roster for over a month. St.louis are like the leafs( Except the Blues make the post season) Fast start but fade in the post season every year and your complaning about Vancouver( playoff series with S.J.) And Chicago. A team that just loss their top scorer in the post season in Kane. You think they got better with Vermette?

You keep thinking that we are going to have the same line up every year. Well we're not. Half the roster is gone from last year and expect more to come next year.

Okay, just come back to me after the playoffs. Personally just message me. Here is the deal, how many times have we beat LA or Nashville this year? Furthermore, go back to the previous Anaheim game,how many fans were calling for a trade because big teams know how to out muscle our D-core and shut down the top line. Okay, still no? How about the previous game we played against the Sharks? The times we beat the Sharks it has been Miller standing on his head! Okay, still no? Okay, go back to that Boston game, again Lack stood on his head to get us the win. We were out-shot big time also.

I love this team, but I don't see this team going past any of the top 4 teams in the West along with LA. I just don't because this year this team has shown how fragile they are. Moreover, I believe this team can go .500 with making a few trades.

Trade Higgins replace him with Jensen

Trade Richardson -

Trade Weber -

and if the right offer is there then trade away Matthias and call up Dafazio, who is a decent 2-way player.

Get some picks because the Canucks' prospect pool needs way more. This is the year, the 2nd round is a deep, so don't waste it. That is all I'm saying.

Some people clearly didn't get the memo of what management is trying to accomplish.

We're not expected to knock off the top teams in the conference.

This is a team in transition. We're bringing up young players in a competitive environment, so that they develop into good players.

Okay, just come back to me after the playoffs. Personally just message me. Here is the deal, how many times have we beat LA or Nashville this year? Furthermore, go back to the previous Anaheim game,how many fans were calling for a trade because big teams know how to out muscle our D-core and shut down the top line. Okay, still no? How about the previous game we played against the Sharks? The times we beat the Sharks it has been Miller standing on his head! Okay, still no? Okay, go back to that Boston game, again Lack stood on his head to get us the win. We were out-shot big time also.

I love this team, but I don't see this team going past any of the top 4 teams in the West along with LA. I just don't because this year this team has shown how fragile they are. Moreover, I believe this team can go .500 with making a few trades.

Trade Higgins replace him with Jensen

Trade Richardson -

Trade Weber -

and if the right offer is there then trade away Matthias and call up Dafazio, who is a decent 2-way player.

I know what your getting at. I could ask you the same thing. How many times did we beat the Canadiens in the 70's ,The Islanders and the Oilers in the 80's. Detroits and the AV's 15 years ago. And not long ago fans were asking their teams how are we going to beat the Canucks. So to me it doesn't matter how many times we beat the L.A or Ducks this year .Sorry Its not what I expect from this team this year.

But my point is you don't know what Benning is up too? Ahh no. I'm Pretty sure he's see the same thing as we do. Hey we weren't suppose to be this far fighting for a spot in the post season with half a team with an AHL line up ..AH NO. I'm sure Benning and Linden aren't going to be satisfied if we make the post season or not . Again NO.

We don't know what other teams want from Benning do we..Nope. Have we been in the war room listening to every take offer..Again No. What happens if other teams are not interested in our junk in Higgins,Richarson or whatever. But are only interested in our prospects. Again do you know how negotiations are going with Matthias.Again No.

Let me ask you an honest question here. Compare to last year did you expext this team just to turn around right away and not have any weekness? Did you expect this team to compete for the cup? Most of us here before the season started knew we were in transition for improvement and if the post season comes our way then that was a bonus. I'm sure most of us knew we weren't going to compete with the Ducks,The Kings ,And Nashville.

Pat Quinn, Burkie never turned this team around as quick as Benning did. And they didn't have a Salary cap.

You can message me too starting in September and see what changes Benning makes. I respect your opinion. You do have some concerns like everybody else. But we also seen what happens when this team hasn't developed or drafted properly from previous management. I also know that J.B is not going to give up young prospects for the future.

Its like you taking over a job replacing someone who did a bad job for the last couple of years in which you have to fix ,But its not like your going to have it fixed over night. And I'm one of those fans that not expecting much this season but somehow is pleasently surprised with this team.

Some people clearly didn't get the memo of what management is trying to accomplish.

This is a team in transition. We're bringing up young players in a competitive environment, so that they develop into good players.

Yeah, agree. Just one round of playoff experience is huge for guys like Bo Vey and Kass. Not to mention once your in, you got a chance. Upsets happen every year.

I can't believe how much weight some people put into these kind of articles. The only time you will ever hear a GM state that he is going to be making a trade is when a player has requested it or some other major issue is leaked by the press.

Benning is smart and he would never lower the stock of any player he about to trade by informing the media monster that he is going to trade Veteran players for prospects or picks.

I think there is a very high chance that Richardson, Higgins and possibly Bieksa will be moved by tomorrow.

Exactly. That's why we have Dorsett, Higgins, Hansen and the Sedins.

Horvat played with Dorsett for long periods of time so that he can develop a gritty tough game to go along with his scoring potential.

Kenins plays with Hansen because they have a very similar game but unlike Hansen Kenins needs to work on the defensive side of his game. Same goes for Horvat (despite what popular opinion suggests but he's only 19 so he has lots of time)

Vey plays with Higgins for the same reason Hansen plays with Horvat and Kenins, to develop the defensive side of his game.

Kassian plays with the sedins now (partly to replace burrows during his injury) and partly to develop his game which requires him to learn to create offensive scoring chances without giving up the grade a scoring chances. The sedins are the best on our entire team at this.

If we trade all those players for picks we instantly develop our prospects the exact same way the oilers develop theirs. And how well has that worked out for them in terms of teaching them to play defense? WD is developing our prospects wonderfully, can't complain at all with what he's doing.

Bieksa is worth more to this team as a leader and a mentor than a couple of measly picks.

Who on this team is able to deal with the media and put them in their place better than Juice? Not many players can handle playing in this market like he can.

And the fact that he's willing to stick with this team through thick and thin says alot. You don't just dump a guy like that.

Sure his play has dropped off over the years, but his real value lies in helping prepare the next crop of young Canucks. Benning and Linden both know that you need veteran leadership in place at times like these. They both went through it.

I would even like to see the team extend Bieksa next season at a much lower cap hit, just so he can mentor our young guys.

I am aware of what he brings to the table for us. I was more just speaking to the people who were saying we would get a decent return at the deadline. An injured, 33 yr old D-man with a NTC is tough to move for any kind of return, regardless of who and where. For the record, I am on the do-not-trade Juice side of the line. I could see him in some other role with the organization even after his playing days are done. As you said, he is a great mentor for the young guys and could really help out with the next young leadership group of the Canucks.

Agreed. Still time, and this is just an article. Changes happen 24/7

Boston are still very eager to make a trade and the Leafs still have Kessel/Bozak/Lupul to throw away for picks this draft, which you know they'll want.

If Benning is a smart man, he'll either wait until the final minute to get these desperate teams to lower their asking prices, or just not do anything until the draft. The Canucks certainly don't HAVE to make a trade this deadline and would be stupid if they gave up the equivalent of Duclair, a 1st rounder and then some for Yandle with 1 year on his contract (which would pretty much be Horvat/Jensen + 1st).

Archived