The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sven Baertschi to Canucks

He will make the Canucks next year for sure, otherwise he has to clear waivers. It is one of the biggest reasons why Calgary traded him since they might not have the roster space for him while the Canucks can easily insert him on the top two lines. I think this move might force Virtanen to play one more year in the juniors unless he impresses the coaching staff during pre-season and force their hands.

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Baertchi

Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Horvat-Burrows

Kenins/Dorsett-Vey-Hansen

Probably traded: Higgins, maybe Richardson

Not sure if there is any room on the roster for a player like Virtanen.

Don't forget about Hunter Shinkaruk, at the end of every pre season since he's been drafted he always makes a statement and is the last cut.

I think Hunter and Baertchi both make the team next year.

His pre season success hasn't quite translated into AHL success but I think he is worth the 9 games next season anyway.

He will make the Canucks next year for sure, otherwise he has to clear waivers. It is one of the biggest reasons why Calgary traded him since they might not have the roster space for him while the Canucks can easily insert him on the top two lines. I think this move might force Virtanen to play one more year in the juniors unless he impresses the coaching staff during pre-season and force their hands.

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Baertchi

Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Horvat-Burrows

I agree with your first paragraph.

As for your lineup:

Baertschi only plays effectively at LW so he will probably play on the 2nd line.

Next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Baertchi

Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian

Matthias-Horvat-Burrows

Sedins, Sedin, Kassian

Baertschi, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Kenins, Matthias/Richardson/Gaunce etc, Dorsett

Vey

Yeah, I know it's just childish, like wanting to open Christmas presents a week early, but he sure is a tempting package of skill, and we don't have a lot of scoring past Danny on the left side.

And I know TL, JB, WD, and Green know way more than I do; I wish I knew more about him.

What kind of teammate, maturity level, attitude, you know, stuff like that.

It's really nice to be excited about players coming up and new aquasitions. It's been a long time since this has happened. At this point there's more than one player coming up. Your Christmas analogy is smack on.

The new leadership group should also say something about Canuck ownership. They also know business and have the guts to admit flaw and change it for the greater good of the team.

Ownership has been instrumental in directional change and on top of all that they're keeping their hands off letting their new management team manage.

Vancouver is in a midstream change. Their team is in tough to make the playoffs yet they're right there. Closer than last season with a far brighter out look to the future.

Don't forget about Hunter Shinkaruk, at the end of every pre season since he's been drafted he always makes a statement and is the last cut.

His pre season success hasn't quite translated into AHL success but I think he is worth the 9 games next season anyway.

The 9 games only applies to 18 and 19 year olds, Shinkaruk burns a year off his contract by playing in the AHL.

What 9 games?

He played pro this year so his elc is no longer sliding.

His waiver eligibility won't change unless he plays 11 NHL games this season. Next season won't affect his waiver eligibility regardless of how many NHL games he plays.

It's really nice to be excited about players coming up and new aquasitions. It's been a long time since this has happened. At this point there's more than one player coming up. Your Christmas analogy is smack on.

The new leadership group should also say something about Canuck ownership. They also know business and have the guts to admit flaw and change it for the greater good of the team.

Ownership has been instrumental in directional change and on top of all that they're keeping their hands off letting their new management team manage.

Vancouver is in a midstream change. Their team is in tough to make the playoffs yet they're right there. Closer than last season with a far brighter out look to the future.

Yes what a difference a year makes?

This year we're in the thick of a play off race. Knock on wood, it actually looks likely. And we have increasingly better futures to call on to project more improvement!

Yeah, I know it's just childish, like wanting to open Christmas presents a week early, but he sure is a tempting package of skill, and we don't have a lot of scoring past Danny on the left side.

And I know TL, JB, WD, and Green know way more than I do; I wish I knew more about him.

What kind of teammate, maturity level, attitude, you know, stuff like that.

Speaking out of my toosh...

As talented as Baerschi is, there is no doubt there was something behind the fact that he was not a success in Calgary. It does not mean that whatever the issue was, it's not recoverable?

Sometimes its as simple as a clash of wills with a coach. And maybe the player should have listened to the coach?

But change of scenery can accomplish something if a dose of reality did not. The dose of reality is still there, but guys then decide maybe I should take it on without the same cloud hanging over them???

edit: So while Sven is building up air speed, blowing through some clouds so to speak > I would also be a bit nervous about elevating him really quickly. Now he's on a path where he is working, and in on a team mentality; make him prove he will do that long term? If he guts out the season, pays his dues, even better if he helps Utica in a championship hunt > then he's definitely showing he is willing to pay his dues...

I like this lineup, except I'd rather have a third line of. ..

Higgins - Horvat - Burr/Hansen

Then one of Kenins, Dorsett etc isn't on the team and we have less cap space, and/or "wasted" a pick on one year of Dorsett. Can't look at things in a one line vacuum.

Sedins, Sedin, Kassian

Baertschi, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Kenins, Matthias/Richardson/Gaunce etc, Dorsett

Vey

Very close to mine, but I don't think we can split up the domination that is Kenins-Horvat-Hansen.

Mine would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Richardson/Matthias-Dorsett

Vey

Gaunce needs more time to develop before joining us. Also if Higgins continues playing the way he has lately I may be tempted to keep him and move someone else out.

Very close to mine, but I don't think we can split up the domination that is Kenins-Horvat-Hansen.

Mine would be:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Richardson/Matthias-Dorsett

Vey

Gaunce needs more time to develop before joining us. Also if Higgins continues playing the way he has lately I may be tempted to keep him and move someone else out.

OK, who?

Sigh... I guess there's a law written somewhere that we have to trade 2nd rounders.

needs some explaining to do

not for a 2nd rounder! :sadno::sadno::sadno::sadno:

JB say he won't give up picks...gives up a 2nd in one of the deepest drafts since 2003.

Picks up 2 of the smallest players possible.

:picard:

You know he's under 6 feet and under 190 pounds?

You know we have one of the smallest rosters in the league?

You know we play in the Pacific division?

You know this is one of the deepest drafts since 2003 and JB said he wouldn't be trading picks?

Not saying he's the next Ovie. Just bumping people that wrote this trade off so early. Clearly this trade is already better than the 2nd round pick.

from one end of the spectrum to the other. you're saying a player who has only proved himself in the AHL in 12 games or so is worth a 2ND ROUND pick in one of the DEEPEST drafts since 2003?

Chill.

If he carries his skills over to the NHL then yes I would say he's worth the 2nd.

Archived