The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sven Baertschi to Canucks

at the end of every season all signed players are put back on "NHL roster". You are unable to place a player on waivers until 12 days before the NHL season starts. Therefore for all players requiring waivers you cannot remove them from the NHL roster until that time. Once that has occured (which is during camp) you must place the player on waivers to be sent to AHL (if they are waiver eligible). That ensures that every player that is waiver eligible must clear waivers at the start of every season to go to AHL.

That's why Benning had to expose markstrom.

That's what I was missing. Here's your f'n dollar Timberwolf....as I whip it across the office.

He's going to be gifted a spot next year. pretty ridiculous seeing as we'll let matthias walk, and let a smaller player join the roster.

thought we were trying to compete with la and ana?

matthias getting paid around 3.5-4M as a 4C, where he hasn't looked too good positionally anyways?

seems like the perfect canuck move

Make up your mind. Or are you just out for a troll?

matthias is going to be looking for a payday. sven is guaranteed a spot and is cheap.

he has 26 points. he's scoring at a higher shooting percentage than the rest of his career, and even then he might barely crack 30pts. he's 27 now, not getting dramatically better.

next season his shooting percentage will regress to his norm. how much is a 25 point energy winger worth?

higgins has 5 seasons 38pts or higher and gets 2.5.

he has 26 points. he's scoring at a higher shooting percentage than the rest of his career, and even then he might barely crack 30pts. he's 27 now, not getting dramatically better.

next season his shooting percentage will regress to his norm. how much is a 25 point energy winger worth?

Matthias is what we need more of though. I get your point, but when you see our third line, we need grit/big boys to do what Matthias does. Crash the net with tremendous speed and intention. Higgins is great, don't get me wrong, but he's easily replaceable. Baertschi is more than likely to make the team next year.

And if were playing the age game, Higgins would be the target-able player to move for draft picks with his current $2.5 M, sweet contract he's in for the kind of player he is which is a 40-50 point gett-er that can transition between second/third lines easily.

I'd be very hesitant, but when you look at the future, which is now, we are an old aging team that needs a bit of more youth in it.

To actually answer your question of "how much are energy players worth".

Every single contender has them. L.A has that with Kyle Clifford/Dwight King/Trevor Lewis.

CHI has that with Bryan Bickell/Andrew Shaw.

BOS had, HAD, Shawn Thornton, Lucic/many more.

You get my point. It's important to have that around the league especially when you want to make the playoffs. I really want Matthias to be re-signed but if he's asking for $3.5-$4.5 range, then let em walk.

Matthias is what we need more of though. I get your point, but when you see our third line, we need grit/big boys to do what Matthias does. Crash the net with tremendous speed and intention. Higgins is great, don't get me wrong, but he's easily replaceable. Baertschi is more than likely to make the team next year.

And if were playing the age game, Higgins would be the target-able player to move for draft picks with his current $2.5 M, sweet contract he's in for the kind of player he is which is a 40-50 point gett-er that can transition between second/third lines easily.

I'd be very hesitant, but when you look at the future, which is now, we are an old aging team that needs a bit of more youth in it.

To actually answer your question of "how much are energy players worth".

Every single contender has them. L.A has that with Kyle Clifford/Dwight King/Trevor Lewis.

CHI has that with Bryan Bickell/Andrew Shaw.

BOS had, HAD, Shawn Thornton, Lucic/many more.

You get my point. It's important to have that around the league especially when you want to make the playoffs. I really want Matthias to be re-signed but if he's asking for $3.5-$4.5 range, then let em walk.

he's worth 2.75 tops

The only reason higgins is at 2.5 is because MG convinced him to take a discount to be with the canucks. In the free market at that time higgins could have gotten 3.5 or so. On the other hand JB hasn't really shown he is as good as MG at signing players for a discount so I am expecting somewhere around 2.6-3.0 range. I hope it is below 2.5, but it doesn't look like it will be.

The only reason higgins is at 2.5 is because MG convinced him to take a discount to be with the canucks. In the free market at that time higgins could have gotten 3.5 or so. On the other hand JB hasn't really shown he is as good as MG at signing players for a discount so I am expecting somewhere around 2.6-3.0 range. I hope it is below 2.5, but it doesn't look like it will be.

MG only got players to sign at a discount as he offered way too many full NTCs, how did that work out for us?

MG only got players to sign at a discount as he offered way too many full NTCs, how did that work out for us?

Fine, considering Garrison got moved ezpz and he had a NTC.

This seems a strange discussion for a Baertschi thread, but

1. The Kesler ntc doesn't appear to have worked well. Reportedly Kesler named only Anaheim and Chicago and Chicago didn't have the cap space for him, making negotiations difficult and leaving the possibility Canucks could have gotten more from a different team.

2. Who knows how the Luongo ntc worked? We weren't privy to negotiations, all we know is the trade didn't happen in the year it was supposed to.

3. How do you know it was ezpz to move Garrison? Were you privy to negotiations? Are you sure Canucks couldn't have gotten more from someone other than Tampa but Garrison refused? Certainly there were rumours he'd initially refused, suggesting Canucks had a deal they'd have preferred to take but couldn't: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/10/rumours-and-revelations-garrison-refused-to-waive-his-no-trade-clause/.

We don't know if the rumours are true-the point is that we don't know if the ntc made things difficult or caused the Canucks to take less than they might have otherwise gotten.

Baertshi now with 5 goals, 5 assists and +6 in 9 games in Utica.

The team is 7-1-1 since his arrival, after having lost 4 of 5 and 3 straight beforehand.

22 years old and has scored 28 pts in 66 NHL games - a 35pt/82game clip in spot duty in Calgary.

From my perspective, what Calgary has done with him smacks of the mistake the Islanders made with Nino Neidereiter, drafted a year before Baertshi. Skating Baertschi on Calgary's fourth line this year was a misfit, and questioning his production in short stints and then giving up on him imo is something they are going to regret.

The Islanders had a similar braincramp approach imo with Neiderreiter, who had 1 goal in 55 games, playing on NY's fourth line, and probably skating in the NHL prematurely as a 19 yr old. Different types of players, but Neidereiter has a couple 35 and 36 point seasons (excellent production at his age imo) in Minnesota since being moved - and his potential is just starting to surface. They got Clutterbuck with an expiring contract (that they managed to extend) and a 3rd for Neiderreiter, but I like that deal for MInnesota (and hate it because I can't stand that franchise).

Baetschi's 25 pts in 36 games this season in Adirondack before joining Utica is good production, but somewhat deflated nevertheless on a team that is a very low scoring club - and a better scoring pace nevertheless than all Adirondack's top scorers.

To put Baertshi's age in perspective, St Louis may as well give up on Ty Rattie, a team-mate of Baertschi's in Portland, who has 35 points in 56 games (+3) this year in his 2nd AHL season. He's also only 22. Imo he doesn't have Baertshi's upside and yet is one of the best young prospects in the Blues system. A 32nd overall pick, and a decent one at that - it's pretty hard to argue with giving up what currently looks in the range of a 48th overall pick for Baertschi...

Baertschi's early production in Utica is making it even more difficult not to get pretty excited about his addition.

This seems a strange discussion for a Baertschi thread, but

1. The Kesler ntc doesn't appear to have worked well. Reportedly Kesler named only Anaheim and Chicago and Chicago didn't have the cap space for him, making negotiations difficult and leaving the possibility Canucks could have gotten more from a different team.

2. Who knows how the Luongo ntc worked? We weren't privy to negotiations, all we know is the trade didn't happen in the year it was supposed to.

3. How do you know it was ezpz to move Garrison? Were you privy to negotiations? Are you sure Canucks couldn't have gotten more from someone other than Tampa but Garrison refused? Certainly there were rumours he'd initially refused, suggesting Canucks had a deal they'd have preferred to take but couldn't: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/10/rumours-and-revelations-garrison-refused-to-waive-his-no-trade-clause/.

We don't know if the rumours are true-the point is that we don't know if the ntc made things difficult or caused the Canucks to take less than they might have otherwise gotten.

Garrison confirmed in an interview on 1040 that he turned down 2 deals before accepting the 3rd because he didn't want to be on a team that really didn't want him.

He's waiver eligible. He has 66 games at the nhl level approaching his 2nd contract (threshold is 60).

Regardless, he's an NHL player, and should play in the NHL. He has a clear step on everyone in the AHL, and is easily Utica's best forward since the trade. He brings a sort of dynamic offensive game that our prospect pool had been lacking at the pro level.

My lineup:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Matthias Vrbata

Bonino Horvat Burrows

Higgins Vey Dorsett/Hansen

Perfect!

I'll miss Richardson. Kenins is first call up.

But still perfect!

And even better, forcing even tougher decisions, maybe then Higgins, if Virtanen (I do not expect so) bludgeons his way on to the team...

Guest Dasein

^ the only guy I would ever welcome back to this team is Garrison.

Sven Baertschi.

Ew

Garrison makes Sbisa look fast..

No way I want him back

Nothing that bad only guy who shouldn't have had a full NTC is Burrows. Players caliber of hamhuis when he signed, edler, Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, luongo, and even Bieksa and Garisson when they were signed If not with the caunuck would have gotten a full NTC somewhere else. I am sorry that a number 1 franchise goalies, elite scorers, elite second line players, and top 4 defensemen get NTCs in todays NHL.

Nothing that bad only guy who shouldn't have had a full NTC is Burrows. Players caliber of hamhuis when he signed, edler, Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, luongo, and even Bieksa and Garisson when they were signed If not with the caunuck would have gotten a full NTC somewhere else. I am sorry that a number 1 franchise goalies, elite scorers, elite second line players, and top 4 defensemen get NTCs in todays NHL.

Higgins and Hansen don't deserve NTCs

Fine, considering Garrison got moved ezpz and he had a NTC.

Like was pointed out garrison shot down 2 otheR deals... maybe they were better value. That hurts.

Luongo supposedly shot down Toronto at the draft, rumored deal was schenn and a pick. SChenn went for JVR later that day. That hurts.

The rumored package at the deadline for kesler was sutter, pouliot and a 1st. When he waived he said he would only go to Chicago (who didn't have the cap room) or Anaheim. That hurt.

Its not "fine" but it is what it is

Archived